Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for naturalisation - ILR + 2 years residency - current processing times

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SAffa_Sean
Newly Registered

Re: Application for naturalisation - ILR + 2 years residency - current processing times

Post by SAffa_Sean » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:24 pm

I applied for UK citizenship online and submitted my documents at the UKVCAS in Croydon. Please can I confirm whether I am free to travel using my South African passport (and BRP) while I am awaiting the outcome of the application? The staff at the UKVCAS centre said I need to check with the Home Office as the Home Office may put a block on my passport while my application is being processed. Do you know if the Home Office usually does block passports while applications are being processed? It seems unusual unless some specific circumstances called for it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Application for naturalisation - ILR + 2 years residency - current processing times

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:25 pm

You are free to travel.

HO don't have the authority to "block" passports!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

SAffa_Sean
Newly Registered

Post by SAffa_Sean » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Thank you!

I have now received a response from the Home Office that my application was approved and I have been invited to attend a citizenship ceremony.

Please can I check the following:

1) Will I receive my naturalisation certificate at the ceremony?
2) I had a look at the requirements for my first British passport. Can I please confirm that the only documents required are 1. my naturalisation certificate and 2. the passport I used to come into the UK?
3) My original passport I used to come to the UK (that includes my Ancestry Visa) expired. Do I also need to provide my current South African passport?
4) The online guidance states that the passport can take up to 6 weeks to arrive. Previously I heard that the current processing time is about 10 days. What is the current processing time at the moment? Is there any difference in processing time whether I apply online or via post?

Thank you for your help

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 pm

1. Yes, once you have taken the oath etc.

2. Correct.

3. You need to provide all uncancelled passports, including current passport.

4. It is taking about 2 weeks at the moment. It gets slower the closer it gets to summer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bookerw100

Post by bookerw100 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:22 pm

SAffa_Sean wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm

4) The online guidance states that the passport can take up to 6 weeks to arrive. Previously I heard that the current processing time is about 10 days. What is the current processing time at the moment? Is there any difference in processing time whether I apply online or via post?

Thank you for your help
I recently applied for first adult BP. It can take longer as it depends on the HMPO you get assigned. I found the best way to expedite is to google the HMPo office's direct number after you applied and explain that you need it urgently - they are more likely to take action on your request than the main call centre helpline..atleast in my case.

SAffa_Sean
Newly Registered

Post by SAffa_Sean » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 pm
1. Yes, once you have taken the oath etc.

2. Correct.

3. You need to provide all uncancelled passports, including current passport.

4. It is taking about 2 weeks at the moment. It gets slower the closer it gets to summer.
Thank you. For 3. above would I need to send original passports in if I am using the online passport application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:17 am

SAffa_Sean wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am
Thank you. For 3. above would I need to send original passports in if I am using the online passport application?
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)