ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for 1st British Passport Overseas/in the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

maneki
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

first name last name mixed up on Certificate

Post by maneki » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Hello,

I am still waiting to attend the Ceremony, I have received an invitation letter where my Full Name seems to be appearing in the right order "First name" "Middle name" "Last name".

I just logged in to the council website checking if ceremony are available to be booked, and to my horror they have my name appearing as such
First name = "First name"
Last name = "Middle name" "Last name"

it says on the invitation letter that the Certificate can be posted by to HO office in Liverpool for correction after the Ceremony, however reading some posts on this forum it seems to be taking at least 1 month for a new cert to be sent. My names were filled in correctly in the AN form, and i have a scanned copy of it to prove the error is not on my side :cry: :cry:

My question: is it possible in any way to amend the cert and have it rectified before i receive it at the Ceremony?

My circumstances: I will be moving to Europe for a job in October. There is no ceremony available in my council now, so I am rather worried in term of timeline, to attend ceremony + send it to HO and receive a new cert in time..

Thanks in advance for your advice!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: first name last name mixed up on Certificate

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:20 pm

My question: is it possible in any way to amend the cert and have it rectified before i receive it at the Ceremony?
No, because you don't know as yet IF the certificate is incorrect.

Perhaps the council booking website has the set for names such as first and last name only as you have discovered but it not a cert error. Possible that the council has simply put second name with last name for the booking system.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

maneki
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Re: first name last name mixed up on Certificate

Post by maneki » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:38 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:20 pm
No, because you don't know as yet IF the certificate is incorrect.

Perhaps the council booking website has the set for names such as first and last name only as you have discovered but it not a cert error. Possible that the council has simply put second name with last name for the booking system.
Thanks for your prompt response. Fingers crossed it is correct.

maneki
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Travelling without a British Passport after Naturalisation

Post by maneki » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:15 pm

Hello,

I am just wondering if I can continue to travel on my current passport (which allows 6 months visa free visit to the UK) without applying for a British passport? I am currently working in the UK but may be relocating to other countries, so I wonder if i can just enter/exit UK as a "tourist" next time?

Even if I do not end up relocating and continue working in the UK, can I return to UK from oversea trips based on existing passport which I guess my immigration status will be visiting tourist, and continue working as usual (since i have british citizenship, so it shouldnt be against the law?).

appreciate your insights, thank you.

maneki
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

applying for CoE instead of British passport after Naturalisation

Post by maneki » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:41 am

Hi All,

would like to get some opinions from the group here. I am waiting to attend the citizenship ceremony and I am thinking after that I would need to return the ILR BRP.. Instead of applying for a British Passport, can I apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to be affixed in my current original home country passport?

Reason why I do not want to apply for British passport yet is because my home country doesn't allow dual nationality. If I have to travel from the home country (non-EU) to UK, the airlines (and sometime the local immigration officers) often request to see evidence where I have the right to enter the UK. I can't be showing them a British passport obviously.. so I am thinking can I get the CoE sticker in my passport instead?

I read the CoE guidance, and it sounded like if I have british citizenship, this means I have "right to abode" and hence my interpretation is that I can apply for CoE? as long as I have not had any British passport..

Any advice please?

Thanks in advance!

vinny

Re: applying for CoE instead of British passport after Naturalisation

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:08 am

Possible. However, there may be complications, if your home country doesn’t allow dual nationality and makes your passport invalid.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

maneki
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Applying for 1st British Passport Overseas/in the UK

Post by maneki » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:28 pm

Hello,

Apologies in advance for the long post, and I know it is not advisable to apply for 1st British passport from Overseas after Naturalisation. I would like to get some advice on what is the best way to apply for the 1st British Passport..

I attended the Ceremony and received Naturalisation Certificate in October. Application was made in January and approved in March 2020. I have had to move to a European country for work purpose due to Brexit since November 2020, so my employment contract with the UK company has ended, and I was given a new contract with the European company. So I have to fill a P85 form with the HMRC informing HMRC about "Leaving the UK"..

Now I am in a dilemma how I should apply for the British passport.. If I apply from Overseas then I understand that it is very risky as my "Future Intentions" as listed during Naturalisation application may be questioned. At the time of application in January, my "Future Intentions" were to still remain in the UK.

My questions:
1) Should I just hold off from applying for a British Passport until I am back in UK for good in the future? Unknown when that will be as my employment with the European company is permanent. However I am also concerned that somehow HO will find out from the HMRC that I am no longer based in the UK?

2) Should I block a month off in my diary to be back in UK temporarily next year in 2021 to apply for the passport within the UK? I am back in the UK at the moment for Xmas but will be here for only 3 weeks so havent got enough time to apply, especially given the Xmas period..

3) I guess I should really avoid applying from Overseas? I checked the "supporting documents" section required for Overseas application, there is a question to explain why you are applying from overseas.. and to say it is because of work reason, seems not great as I have another post of someone who has left to India for work reason after attending Ceremony and things get very complicated.

Appreciate your thoughts.

stark
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for 1st British Passport Overseas/in the UK

Post by stark » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:30 pm

I’ve almost similar problem with my passport my name is xxxxxx.1st name xxxxxx But I got it wrong on my passport as xxxxx. so is there any way for me to get it fixed?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for 1st British Passport Overseas/in the UK

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:30 pm
I’ve almost similar problem with my passport my name is xxxxxx.1st name xxxxxx But I got it wrong on my passport as xxxxx. so is there any way for me to get it fixed?
Please do not post your full names on the forum. If you are going to post a wuesry like this, please use fictitious names!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.