ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British citizenship for children born outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

krish143
Newly Registered

Applying for British citizenship for children born outside UK

Post by krish143 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Hello All,

I am a naturalized British citizen since January 2014. My daughter was born in India on February 2005 before I became British citizen, I was not even in UK when my daughter was born. my family including my daughter moved to UK in April 2017 on dependent visa and staying in UK since then.

Can I apply for British citizenship for my daughter now? if not, can you please let me know when she might become eligible for British Citizenship?

Any help or advise on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Krishna

secret.simon

Re: Applying for British citizenship for children born outside UK

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:33 pm

krish143 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm
Can I apply for British citizenship for my daughter now?
No.
krish143 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm
if not, can you please let me know when she might become eligible for British Citizenship?
Children born abroad follow the immigration pathway of the less-privileged parent. The child will need to apply for ILR with the other parent and can then apply to be registered as a British citizen immediatly after that (provided that the other parent and child acquire ILR before the child's 18th birthday), when both she and the other parent have ILR.

If she acquires ILR after her 18th birthday, she will need to naturalise as a British citizen, meeting all the usual (absence, English language, LITUK test, etc) requirements.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

krish143
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for British citizenship for children born outside UK

Post by krish143 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:24 pm

Hello All,

Just to let you know my son got British passport directly when applied based on 'Citizenship by Descent' as I was naturalized British citizen when he was born outside UK.

Thanks
Krishna