ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Citizenship with expired passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sugudheenu
Newly Registered

Applying for British Citizenship with expired passport

Post by sugudheenu » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:22 am

Hi,

I have ILR(Indefinite leave to remain) and my passport expires on December 2011. I am planning to apply for British Citizenship in April 2012. Can I apply for British Citizenship with my expired passport or do I have to get a new passport and get the ILR stamped again??

Thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46 am

Should be OK. See similar cases here. You will need to provide proof that you have been still resident in the UK since the passport expiry date.

If you get a new passport, then is no need to transfer the ILR. You can just travel with both passports (valid + expired with ILR).

nksg

Re: Applying for British Citizenship with expired passport

Post by nksg » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:47 am

To the best of my knowledge u need an active travel document for the purpose of naturalisation, hen ce you would need to renew your current passport before you apply.

In my case i did not transfer my ILR stamp to my new "renewed" passport. Just had it with me at the time of NCS.
sugudheenu wrote:Hi,

I have ILR(Indefinite leave to remain) and my passport expires on December 2011. I am planning to apply for British Citizenship in April 2012. Can I apply for British Citizenship with my expired passport or do I have to get a new passport and get the ILR stamped again??

Thanks.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:16 am

nksg wrote:To the best of my knowledge u need an active travel document for the purpose of naturalisation, hen ce you would need to renew your current passport before you apply.
No. One may apply for naturalisation with an "expired" foreign passport.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

nksg

Post by nksg » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:19 pm

As previously stated.. i am not an expert..and can be wrong. But i was asked for "Active" passport at my NCS appointment..

sushdmehta wrote:
nksg wrote:To the best of my knowledge u need an active travel document for the purpose of naturalisation, hence you would need to renew your current passport before you apply.
No. One may apply for naturalisation with an "expired" foreign passport.

vikky2012
Newly Registered

Post by vikky2012 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 pm

I am in a similar sitution. my passport is in the next fewdays. do i have to renew my passport or can i apply for naturalisation. I dont have any plans to travel.
has anybody applied with expired passports?
any feedback is much appreciated

thnks

b_queen

Post by b_queen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Well...I'm s bit confused now ... Can I apply for citizenship with my expired passport or not ?.... Plz do give me a reply.. Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 pm

Not sure why you are confused. This thread clearly answers the question.

Kenzie18
Newly Registered

Expired passport

Post by Kenzie18 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Im in the same situation. Passport expired 2011 applied fo a new one frm Zimbabwe still waiting. However applied for Naturalisation thru NCS but they took old passport. I've toaday received letter from ukba sayin they need passport or travel doc if not then list of alternatives eg payslips p60 etc.
Has anyone send the alternatives and succeeded? Should i send the old passport again or just the required documents?
Many many thanks

Hopeful200
Newly Registered

Post by Hopeful200 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:56 am

We recently were naturalised despite having expired passports( with our ILR Stamp in them ) . NCS and UKBA accepted our P60 Tax statements and letters from our childrens school ( to prove they were attending ) as proof of us being in the UK since the passports expired . ( in my wifes case the passport expired in 2009)

Kenzie18
Newly Registered

Post by Kenzie18 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanx @ Hopeful 200! Posted my P60 wage slips ploent letter etc. received @ Liverpool HO today. So I'm now waiting for their response. Fingers crossed. Good to hear from others who did same thing. Ta :)