ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Citizenship by Descent - Speeding Tickets

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JacqHugh
Newly Registered

Applying for Citizenship by Descent - Speeding Tickets

Post by JacqHugh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi All

I am an Aussie applying for Dual Citizenship due to my mother and grandparents being born in the UK. I ended up with a speeding ticket (which I paid straight away) from 2010 and nothing since. Do I need to declare these. I have searched for info, but still not sure.

Cheers.

TTOE

Re: Applying for Citizenship by Descent - Speeding Tickets

Post by TTOE » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:18 am

From your post, it might be or it's likely a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) in which case you are not required to declare it but if you got convicted by a court way back then even though this has no effect on the outcome of your application, because it happened more than three years ago, it is still advised that you declare it. It won't affect the outcome of your application anyway.

If it is a FPN, please ignore it.

pinkunicorn
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for Citizenship by Descent - Speeding Tickets

Post by pinkunicorn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:19 pm

JacqHugh wrote:Hi All

I am an Aussie applying for Dual Citizenship due to my mother and grandparents being born in the UK. I ended up with a speeding ticket (which I paid straight away) from 2010 and nothing since. Do I need to declare these. I have searched for info, but still not sure.

Cheers.
You don't apply for citizenship by descent, you ARE a British Citizen already if you are a British Citizen by descent. Which you are if you were born on or after January 1, 1983. If you were born before then, you are not a British Citizen, though you can register using form UK-M.

Registering is not the same as, and is easier than, applying for citizenship. You do still need to be eligible, however - but as noted above fixed penalty notices aren't a problem, especially being years ago.