ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for citizenship early

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Imoted
Newly Registered

Applying for citizenship early

Post by Imoted » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:20 pm

Hi all,

Looking to relocate soon to NYC temporarily for personal reasons with my job. I was hoping to wait till I can qualify for the UK passport via normal route but seems like time’s running out for the right opportunities at work.

I have received ILR in october 2019 after 5 years on Tier 2 visa. Prior to this I was on Tier4 from October 2011 (uk bachelor’s degree for 3 years: 2011- 2014).
Been in the uk continuously since then.

I am currently in the process of buying a flat, hoping to complete in April. Would this ownership of the flat, in addition to my long term residency in the uk, work in my favour when applying for citizenship less than 12 months of holding ILR?

Understand relying on ‘discretion’ is a whole lot of risk, but thinking opportunity costs, would like to know if I have a good chance of getting the BC early.

Many thanks for your advice in advance! ☺️

Casa

Re: Applying for citizenship early

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Property ownership doesn't give any concession for an earlier BC application before the qualifying date.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Applying for citizenship early

Post by Djsuccess » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:23 am

Imoted wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:20 pm
Hi all,

Looking to relocate soon to NYC temporarily for personal reasons with my job. I was hoping to wait till I can qualify for the UK passport via normal route but seems like time’s running out for the right opportunities at work.

I have received ILR in october 2019 after 5 years on Tier 2 visa. Prior to this I was on Tier4 from October 2011 (uk bachelor’s degree for 3 years: 2011- 2014).
Been in the uk continuously since then.

I am currently in the process of buying a flat, hoping to complete in April. Would this ownership of the flat, in addition to my long term residency in the uk, work in my favour when applying for citizenship less than 12 months of holding ILR?

Understand relying on ‘discretion’ is a whole lot of risk, but thinking opportunity costs, would like to know if I have a good chance of getting the BC early.

Many thanks for your advice in advance! ☺️
You have to wait till Oct 2020 before applying. As you have been told already, owning a property has no impact on your citizenship application. You can also not spend more than 90 days outside of the UK in the last year running to your application (i.e between Oct 2019 and Oct 2020 if you want to apply in Oct.). So there is no way you can relocate to NYC and still be able to apply once you have spent more than 90 days outside. You also stand the risk of losing your ILR status if you spend more than 2 years outside of the UK.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.