I’m currently in the process of applying for naturalisation as a non-EEA (South Korean) citizen. I’ve been here for 11 years (10 years tier 4 + 1 year with ILR). I’m filling out the online form and I’m not 100% on a few things and as with these matters I’d rather ask than risk it. So at the risk of sounding obtuse, I was wondering if anyone could help with the following questions:
1. Regarding proof of residency, it says
“If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments, or other Government Departments indicating your presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period.
If you are an Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the past 5 years”.
Does this mean that as a non-EEA national, I just need to submit all of my passports with the entry stamps to prove residency? Should I also get status letters from my university and submit my degree from my previous institution to prove that I’ve been residing here?
2. In terms of residency dates, previous addresses and absences from the UK, the online form asks for details from the past 5 years. However, I’ve read in some places that this means 5 years + 1 year with ILR. Could someone please clarify whether it is 5 years in total (4 years + 1 year with ILR) or 6 years in total (5 years + 1 year with ILR)?
3. Regarding the document checklist, my BRP seems to be applicable to 3 of the 7 documents requested: proof of identity, proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions and current BRP. Is that right?
4. My own document checklist includes:
* All passports (5 in total, including current)
* All BRP cards (3 in total, including current ILR BRP)
* Degree certificate and transcript for the English language requirement
* Life in the UK test pass certificate
* Two referee declarations
Am I missing anything?
Also, Is there a stage later on that explicitly outlines every single piece of document I need to provide?
5. My understanding is that all documents need to be taken to one of the commercial partner sopra steria’s UKVCAS centres, where they will scan the documents and upload them. The application stresses that all passports must be originals, so does it mean that I just hand my passports to the staff there to be passed on to the Home Office? I’m quite unsure what needs to happen.
Thank you so much for reading, and many thanks in advance for your advice!