ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for UK passport after naturalisation from another country

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

piresm
Newly Registered
Portugal

Applying for UK passport after naturalisation from another country

Post by piresm » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:30 pm

Hello,

I just had my ceremony, meaning that I am now able to apply for my first UK passport.
Because I am moving to the Cayman Islands for a couple of years in 15 days, I am worried that I won't have enough time to apply for my British passport from the UK - since I need to send out my current passport and I need it to travel.

1. My first question, how long do I have to apply for my British passport after naturalisation? Is there an 'expiry' date?

2. Will I be able to apply for my first British passport from another country?

3. Because I am an EU citizen, some of the times I have used my EU ID card to enter the UK - instead of my passport. Could I possibly send my EEA ID card instead of my passport for the application, taking into consideration that it was the document used to enter the UK? Then keep my passport, since I travel very frequently for work?

Thank you!

secret.simon

Re: Applying for UK passport after naturalisation from another country

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:49 pm

piresm wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:30 pm
1. My first question, how long do I have to apply for my British passport after naturalisation? Is there an 'expiry' date?
No. Indeed, there is no requirement for British citizens to have a British passport.
piresm wrote:
Not recommended. There have been a couple of recent cases on these forums, when people who naturalised and then applied for passports from abroad had their naturalisation revisited for cancellation, because one of the requirements for naturalisation is the future intentions requirement, that you will reside in the UK and the fact that you moved out before getting a passport would make it appear that you did not meet that requirement. Much better to apply before you leave, if you can.
piresm wrote:
3. Because I am an EU citizen, some of the times I have used my EU ID card to enter the UK - instead of my passport. Could I possibly send my EEA ID card instead of my passport for the application, taking into consideration that it was the document used to enter the UK? Then keep my passport, since I travel very frequently for work?
I think (not certain) that the requirement is specifically for all uncancelled passports. That is not to check your identity, but to ensure that the names on your British passport matches those on your other passports. I'm not convinced that an EU identity card would be sufficient.

However, I am not certain of this response. Wait for others to respond.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

piresm
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by piresm » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:07 pm

Thank you, secret.simon!

I am just worried that I won't receive my passport back on time (I would get in serious trouble at work!), and I don't want to wait another 2 years to apply for it.

I am currently thinking of applying with my EU card and expired passport - fingers crossed it is acceptable!

piresm
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by piresm » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:56 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:49 pm
piresm wrote:
No. Indeed, there is no requirement for British citizens to have a British passport.
piresm wrote:
Not recommended. There have been a couple of recent cases on these forums, when people who naturalised and then applied for passports from abroad had their naturalisation revisited for cancellation, because one of the requirements for naturalisation is the future intentions requirement, that you will reside in the UK and the fact that you moved out before getting a passport would make it appear that you did not meet that requirement. Much better to apply before you leave, if you can.
piresm wrote:
I think (not certain) that the requirement is specifically for all uncancelled passports. That is not to check your identity, but to ensure that the names on your British passport matches those on your other passports. I'm not convinced that an EU identity card would be sufficient.

However, I am not certain of this response. Wait for others to respond.
Thank you, secret.simon!

I am just worried that I won't receive my passport back on time (I would get in serious trouble at work!), and I don't want to wait another 2 years to apply for it.

I am currently thinking of applying with my EU card and expired passport - fingers crossed it is acceptable!