ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric Resident Permit (BRP) misplaced by Passport Office

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

d_seng
Newly Registered

Biometric Resident Permit (BRP) misplaced by Passport Office

Post by d_seng » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi all,

I submitted my passport, citizenship certificate and my BRP to the post office as part of my passport application. The envelope that I received back from the Passport Office only contained my passport and citizenship certificate, and the people in the passport office are unable to trace it.

My question is, will I need the BRP at any time after I have a British passport?

Also, I am (or was) and Indian national, and I would need to surrender my Indian passport to VFS to apply for OCI/PIO. Will they need the BRP along with the surrender application, given that my ILR/permit is not stuck on the passport?

If any of the above is true, I will then have to apply for a replacement BRP. Don't know what the fee is, although I know there will be a lot of hassle.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:07 pm

you dont need the brp if you have a british passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:44 pm

d_seng: You were not required to send your ILR BRP with the British Passport Application. Did you not check the passport guidance ?

d_seng
Newly Registered

Post by d_seng » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:47 pm

CR001 wrote:you dont need the brp if you have a british passport.
Thanks, but do you know if I need the BRP to surrender my Indian passport at VFS?
linkers wrote:d_seng: You were not required to send your ILR BRP with the British Passport Application. Did you not check the passport guidance ?
I thought so, but the person at the post office asked for it and I happened to have it on me so naively I gave it to him.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:52 pm

d_seng: Hmm, that's ok as you don't need it again since you have become a British Citizen (which automatically invalidates the ILR).

d_seng
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by d_seng » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:55 pm

linkers wrote:d_seng: Hmm, that's ok as you don't need it again since you have become a British Citizen (which automatically invalidates the ILR).
I managed to surrender my Indian passport without them asking for my BRP.

I then contacted Home Office to notify them of the lost BRP, which they have cancelled now, and are now sending an application form by post for a replacement BRP. I replied to them asking if I still need to apply for a replacement BRP, now that I have a British passport and the reply was "We can confirm you still need to apply for a replacement BRP".

How surprising is that??

nmm

Re: Re:

Post by nmm » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:23 pm

d_seng wrote: I then contacted Home Office to notify them of the lost BRP, which they have cancelled now, and are now sending an application form by post for a replacement BRP. I replied to them asking if I still need to apply for a replacement BRP, now that I have a British passport and the reply was "We can confirm you still need to apply for a replacement BRP".

How surprising is that??
It's really strange...
Which email address did you sent your query?
I have quite similar issue as my wife changed her name and applied for nationality and we were thinking that BRP with name change will not be required any more but from the reply you got it looks like that even after nationality we need the BRP

d_seng
Newly Registered

Re: Re:

Post by d_seng » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:45 pm

nmm, please check my post at http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 58532.html. I sent the email to BRPLost@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk. Hope this helps.