ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen Application Passport Check

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Miguel24
Newly Registered
Mexico

British Citizen Application Employment Check

Post by Miguel24 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:36 pm

Hello everyone, I would like to ask if UKVI does employment check for British Citizenship approval?
On March 2023 I am eligible to apply for a citizenship, right after submission, I want to fly outside the UK for a year travel. It’s either I will apply for work sabbatical or resign if sabbatical will not be granted. Do you think it has bearing on their decision for a citizenship approval if the applicant goes out the UK or has no active employment while application is pending?

I would appreciate every advice.

-Miguel

secret.simon

Re: British Citizen Application Employment Check

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:42 pm

Miguel24 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:36 pm
Do you think it has bearing on their decision for a citizenship approval if the applicant goes out the UK or has no active employment while application is pending?
Yes to the former (if the applicant goes out of the UK for more than six months).
Naturalisaton at discretion caseworker guidance wrote: (Page 34)
If the applicant is abroad or is about to go abroad for a continuous period of more than 6 months, you should normally refuse the application and advise the applicant to re-apply, on their return to the UK, for permanent residence. An exception may be made to the general rule, however, where any of the following apply:
• the applicant is undertaking voluntary work such as with the Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO)
• the applicant is undertaking studies, training or employment abroad which is necessary to pursue a UK based profession, vocation or occupation
• the absence forms part of an established pattern, such as in relation to employment at sea and the applicant is primarily based in the UK
You will likely have to return to the UK anyway to attend the citizenship ceremony.

Also, there have been two cases on these forums where investigations were triggered when people attended their citizenship ceremony in the UK but then immediately left and applied for their first British passports from abroad.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Miguel24
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by Miguel24 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Hello Simon, thank you for your reply. You reckon it is best to stay in UK until my ceremony and first passport is issued?

I read somewhere that the UK Citizenship application as the only application where the applicant can actually exit UK and re-enter UK as he/she wishes.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:18 pm

Miguel24 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:51 pm
You reckon it is best to stay in UK until my ceremony and first passport is issued?
Yes.
Miguel24 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:51 pm
I read somewhere that the UK Citizenship application as the only application where the applicant can actually exit UK and re-enter UK as he/she wishes.
Yes, you can leave and re-enter, ideally before your citizenship ceremony. But a long absence can cause problems.

Why not defer your sabbatical for a year?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Miguel24
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by Miguel24 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:25 pm

Thank you for your advice. Yes I might defer it.

Simon, does it mean that UKVI will find out if the applicant is in UK or not after submission and while application is still pending?

I apologise for my questions.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:42 pm

Miguel24 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:25 pm
Simon, does it mean that UKVI will find out if the applicant is in UK or not after submission and while application is still pending?
It can, through the Advanced Passenger Information that is filed when one leaves via a flight or Eurostar or ferries.

Absence from the UK is not a problem when naturalisation applications are in progress. It is prolonged absence (more than six months) that causes a problem. And given how immigration barriers have been going up and down globally during the pandemic, a short visit can easily turn into a longer one. Better to not take the chance.

Miguel24
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by Miguel24 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:15 pm

Thank you for your replies. Your insights and advices have been helpful.

Miguel24
Newly Registered
Mexico

British Citizen Application Passport Check

Post by Miguel24 » Sun May 16, 2021 8:53 pm

Good day everyone! I need some good advice please.
This is my situation:
1. On Feb 2022, I will be applying for by British Citizenship by Naturalisation.
2. At the same time, I will have my interview for a US Immigrant Visa, ideally a week after submitting my application. I have a 3 year contract to my US employer.
3. I am coming back to the UK after that to get into Medical School.
4. I just bought my house here in the UK this year.

Accordingly, during the first time application of a British Passport, my current passport will be collected. Do you think the Home Office will question me once they'll see that my current passport have a US Immigrant Visa Stamp? I am afraid they will reverse their decision after seeing my US Stamp.

Please I need your advice.