ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british citizen going abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nids22
Newly Registered

british citizen going abroad

Post by nids22 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:47 am

hello
me and my husband are both british citizens . we plan on going abroad to live for a few years. does anyone know how often we need to come back to the uk in order to still be entitled to hold our british passport. Someone told us we have to come every year and someone else said every 3 years. if someone can help us in this matter that would be great.
thanks

kindley

Re: british citizen going abroad

Post by kindley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:20 pm

nids22 wrote:hello
me and my husband are both british citizens . we plan on going abroad to live for a few years. does anyone know how often we need to come back to the uk in order to still be entitled to hold our british passport. Someone told us we have to come every year and someone else said every 3 years. if someone can help us in this matter that would be great.
thanks
From my understanding of this issue, you shouldn't have any problem returning to the UK from abroad. You can travel in and out of the UK as long and as much as you want.
Always Seek Further Opinion (ASFO)

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: british citizen going abroad

Post by mochyn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:25 pm

[quote="nids22"]hello
thanks[/qu

Are you British born and bred?

Or are you naturalized citizen?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:22 pm

British citizens are free to enter the UK at any time and also free to settle in the UK at any time. As British citizens you can be away for as long as you like and return to the UK whenever you like. It makes no difference how you obtained your British citizenship — whether you were a citizen at birth or whether you naturalised or registered as a British citizen later on in life. In short, there is no requirement to return to the UK every year, or every 3 years, or anything like that.

If you are living abroad when your passport expires, you can renew it via the relevant British mission (embassy, high commission or consulate).

Would you be planning to have children while abroad? If so, their status could be affected by how you gained your British citizenship. If one of you is a British citizen by birth or a British citizen by naturalisation, however, the children would be British citizens by descent: more information about all of that is available if you need it.