ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport application processing timelines (only)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

thirddoor
Newly Registered

Re: British Passport application processing timelines (only)

Post by thirddoor » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks

junk2014
Newly Registered

Post by junk2014 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Application Timeline

Passport for: Adult
Application Type: New - First time (Registered Citizen)
Method of application: Online (BETA)
Date of application: 24 Apr 2014 online, 29 May 2014 posted additional form
Date application received by HMPO: 1 May 2014 (Signed For)
HMPO Office: Peterborough
Date SMS Received: 4 Jun 2014 (after sending in additional paper form)
Date of receipt of interview letter: 11 Jun 2014
Date of return of documents: 12 Jun 2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 13 Jun 2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 16 Jun 2014

Other Updates:
Date: 29 May 2014
Description: Received letter (dated 26 May 2014) saying that I had missed some sections of the form (which I don't think so as the online system says that you can't proceed to the next section without completing the current section). They sent a paper form and asked that I fill it in and send it back. Posted 30 May 2014
As mentioned by Skimatic, it was the parents section that turned out to be missing.

Date: 10 Jun 2014
Description: Rang Peterborough in relation to another question and during the process of the call found out that my interview letter was due to be posted today, however, the guy also gave me the reference number and phone number to call to make the appointment instead of having to wait for the letter to then do it.

ladie14
Newly Registered

Post by ladie14 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:35 pm

junk2014 wrote:Application Timeline

Application Type: New - First time (Registered Citizen)
Method of application: Online (BETA)
Date of application: 24 Apr 2014 online, 29 May 2014 posted additional form
Date application received by HMPO: 1 May 2014 (Signed For)
HMPO Office: Peterborough
Date SMS Received: 4 Jun 2014 (after sending in additional paper form)
Date of receipt of interview letter: 11 Jun 2014
Date of return of documents: 12 Jun 2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 13 Jun 2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 16 Jun 2014

Other Updates:
Date: 29 May 2014
Description: Received letter (dated 26 May 2014) saying that I had missed some sections of the form (which I don't think so as the online system says that you can't proceed to the next section without completing the current section). They sent a paper form and asked that I fill it in and send it back. Posted 30 May 2014
As mentioned by Skimatic, it was the parents section that turned out to be missing.

Date: 10 Jun 2014
Description: Rang Peterborough in relation to another question and during the process of the call found out that my interview letter was due to be posted today, however, the guy also gave me the reference number and phone number to call to make the appointment instead of having to wait for the letter to then do it.
Congratulations!
Could please let me know the interview questions for Registered citizen,did you submit your entry passport with the application and the documents submitted during the Registration for british by descent.

tblum
Newly Registered

Post by tblum » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:14 pm

Update:

Application Type: New
Method of application: Post Office Check & Send (Norwich)
Date of application: 28 May 2014
Date application received by HMPO: 2 June 2014 (Peterborough)
Date SMS Received: Not received. I used the link on the website to ask about the status of my application on 12th June (Not 3 weeks, but I panicked after the news reports), and got an email today (16th June).

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:16 am

Application Timeline
Application Type: New, 1st
Method of application: Postal, Special Delivery
Date of application: 02-06-14
Date application received by IPS: 03-06-14
Date of SMS Acknowledgment: 04-06-14
Date of return of documents: 12-06-14
Date of receipt of interview letter: 12-06-14
Date of Passport Appointment: 13-06-14
Date of Passport Receipt: 16-06-14
Information provided is general guidance and does not constitute legal advice.

sami01
Newly Registered

Post by sami01 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:51 am

Spidery_thread wrote:Application Timeline

Wow that was a quick turnaround, if you don't mind me asking what passport office was dealing with your application?

juliemjohn
Newly Registered

Post by juliemjohn » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:53 am

Spidery_thread wrote: Application Timeline

Hello. How did you manage this in under 2 weeks. Well done!!
Also which Passport Office did you send your application to? Was it Belfast?

ijaz.ahmed

Post by ijaz.ahmed » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:49 am

I had a rubbish passport interview this morning I think I'm doomed

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 66783.html

Any idea what happens if you fail?

akash08

Post by akash08 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 am

ijaz.ahmed wrote:I had a rubbish passport interview this morning I think I'm doomed

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 66783.html

Any idea what happens if you fail?
Yes. You will be very famous and get a place in the history of UK Immigraiton as the first ever genuine person to fail a passport interview.

Jokes apart, it is not possible for a genuine person to fail in a passport interview, it is impossible. Stop losing your sleep over it.

Gnanasekar

Post by Gnanasekar » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:08 am

Passport for: Minor (For UK born Child, Both parents on ILR)
Method of application: Post office Check & Send
Date of application: 10-May-2014
Date application received by IPS: 15-May-2014
Date of return of documents:
Date of receipt of interview letter: Not Applicable
Date of Passport Appointment:
Date of Passport Receipt:

Getting a bit tensed with no progress update even after calling their helpline twice. Have plans for visa and travel. Looks like will cause a mess if it doesn't come back in 6 weeks time. Fingers crossed !

C0sta
Newly Registered

Post by C0sta » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Guess there's going to big problem if union go ahead with strike ballot!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27879587

Passport Office bosses knew there would be a backlog in applications a year ago but did nothing about it, a PCS union official has told MPs.

Mike Jones said the closure of passport centres at British embassies around the world and the transfer of work to the UK had caused the build-up.

But although managers warned about an extra 350,000 applications last year, they did not bring in extra staff.

Mr Jones is giving evidence to the home affairs committee.

He said Passport Office managers had decided to "use massive amounts of overtime" to deal with the extra work, which "burned the staff out" and led to the present crisis.

Strike ballot
The closure of 22 Passport Offices had added to the pressure - but Passport Office boss Paul Pugh had refused to sit down with the union and discuss recruiting more staff. He refused to rule out a strike ballot if calls for negotiations "continue to be ignored".

Mr Jones told the committee the number of passport applications classed as "work in progress" has gone up by more than 200,000 in the past four months,

He said internal figures on the backlog showed an increase from 289,892 in March to 493,289 on 8 June - that compares with a 70,000 increase in the backlog at the same time last year to 146,939.

Mr Jones accused Home Secretary Theresa May of making "misleading" statements about the number of staff in the Passport Office, claiming there were 550 fewer staff than when the coalition came to power in 2010.

Mrs May says the number of staff dealing with passports has not gone down - and the reduction is down to staff dealing with the now cancelled ID card scheme being shed.

MPs would seek a "full explanation" of long delays in handling applications, committee chairman Keith Vaz said ahead of the session which will also see Mr Pugh questioned.

The hearing comes shortly after the home secretary announced a plan aiming to deal with a backlog of 30,000 cases.

Labour said the spike in demand should have been foreseen and Theresa May should apologise for the "shambles".

In a statement, the Home Office said Mrs May recognised the "understandable concerns" about delays and was "determined to do everything possible, while maintaining the security of the passport, to speed up the system".

The government said last week that people facing delays to their passport renewal would be able to get it fast-tracked for free.

Among other emergency measures, those applying for passports overseas on behalf of their children will be given special travel documents.

'Extraordinary lengths'
Mr Pugh said last week there had been "exceptional" summer demand but that extra staff had been brought in to handle applications.

Mrs May and other Home Office ministers have partly attributed the surge in applications to growing public confidence about the economy.

But critics have blamed the closure of seven overseas passport processing centres, which has seen all the paperwork they used to handle now processed in the UK.

Labour MP Mr Vaz MP said: "The HM Passport Office is in chaos and the Home Secretary's urgent action shows the true scale of the problem."

"We will be asking Mr Pugh for a full explanation of what has happened and specifically how these emergency measures are being put in place.

"It is vital we have the full facts in order to understand whether this government agency is still fit for purpose."

Three million UK passports have been issued in 2014, including more than one million since the start of April, while about 465,000 renewals and first-time passport requests are currently in the system.

In its annual report last year, the Passport Office forecast that changes to the way overseas applications were handled would lead to it dealing with 350,000 more applicants.

keerthi

Post by keerthi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:48 pm

I think the below status says it all...

"New passport applicants who are required to have a face-to-face interview are being turned away from the agency's Durham office and directed to other sites in the North of England while no further interviews are being scheduled in London for the time being."

:oops:

I have applied on 11th Jun, planning to travel by 9th Aug...thought it would be ok, now....

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:45 pm

Peterborough Passport Office.
Information provided is general guidance and does not constitute legal advice.

dadageer
Mood:

Post by dadageer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Hello all,

Just thought to share this with you guys if you are waiting for your passport...

The Passport Office boss has admitted there are 480,000 passport applications "outstanding", as the unions said the agency had "lost control" of the backlog.

Paul Pugh told the Home Affairs Select Committee they had received 3.6 million passport applications since January this year, which was significantly higher than usual.

Mr Pugh was reluctant to be drawn on the backlog of applications but when pushed by committee chairman, the Labour MP Keith Vaz, said the applications considered to be "work-in-progress" was "broadly" 480,000.

Mr Pugh also revealed he had considered resigning during the crisis, but decided against such a move as it was his responsibility to lead the Passport Office through "tough times".

"I absolutely recognise the anger and distress that some people have suffered and I would like to put on record that yes, in every case where we haven't met our service standards ... we are sorry for that," he said.

http://news.sky.com/story/1283985/passp ... of-backlog
Not all those who wander are lost...

tbilai
Newly Registered

British Passport application processing timelines (only)

Post by tbilai » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Application Type: First Adult Passport (Naturalised)
Method of application: Check & Send through Post Office, London
Date of application: 13-May-2014
Date of Fees deduction: N/A (Fees taken at the Post Office)
Date application received by IPS: 16-May-2014 at Peterborough (Check through online enquiry)
SMS received: NEVER RECEIVED
Date of receipt of interview letter: 17-June-2014 (Dated: 14-June-2014)
Date of return of documents: Waiting
Date of Passport Appointment: 24-June-2014 at London Victoria
Date of Passport Receipt: TBA

littlewing1
Newly Registered

Post by littlewing1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:33 pm

littlewing1 wrote:Application Type: First time (overseas Adult, citizen by descent)
Method of application: Beta Online
Date of application: 20/03/2014 (confirmed receipt by HMPO)
Date SMS Received: n/a (I don't think online apps get these)
Date of receipt of interview letter: -
Date of interview appointment: -
Date of SMS that Passport is being printed: none
Date of Passport Receipt:17/07/2014

For anyone complaining about long wait times, I applied BEFORE the price decreased when the wait time was expected to be 6 weeks, and am in my 11th week of waiting. Gave them my life story in the "notes" section, and filled in EVERY "optional" section supplied to me online. As instructed online, I sent in my documents to the black hole that is the Durham office. Do not have my "foreign" US passport back, and need to renew that passport (expired in May) it in time for July/August travel- so apparently I'll not be travelling this summer at all. Have emailed the HMPO, and received the canned "your application is being processed" response, which is EXACTLY the unhelpful status on the tracking site.
So, after calling the secret Durham number last week to enquire as to the status, I received a text yesterday from the courier letting me know I had a package scheduled to be delivered today... and two days shy of 12 weeks, my passport FINALLY got here! :) However, still waiting on the second passport for a sibling- we shared some of our paperwork and sent both applications/all documents in the same envelope. No word on the documents, or the other passport... you'd have thought they'd send them in the same envelope but apparently not...

Also, the website still says "Declaration form received, being processed" even though it's been printed, shipped & signed for. So clearly that's just plain wrong.
Last edited by littlewing1 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladie14
Newly Registered

Post by ladie14 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:47 pm

littlewing1 wrote:
littlewing1 wrote:Application Type: First time (overseas Adult, citizen by descent)
Method of application: Beta Online
Date of application: 20/03/2014 (confirmed receipt by HMPO)
Date SMS Received: n/a (I don't think online apps get these)
Date of receipt of interview letter: -
Date of interview appointment: -
Date of SMS that Passport is being printed: none
Date of Passport Receipt:17/07/2014

For anyone complaining about long wait times, I applied BEFORE the price decreased when the wait time was expected to be 6 weeks, and am in my 11th week of waiting. Gave them my life story in the "notes" section, and filled in EVERY "optional" section supplied to me online. As instructed online, I sent in my documents to the black hole that is the Durham office. Do not have my "foreign" US passport back, and need to renew that passport (expired in May) it in time for July/August travel- so apparently I'll not be travelling this summer at all. Have emailed the HMPO, and received the canned "your application is being processed" response, which is EXACTLY the unhelpful status on the tracking site.
So, after calling the secret Durham number last week to enquire as to the status, I received a text yesterday from the courier letting me know I had a package scheduled to be delivered today... and two days shy of 12 weeks, my passport FINALLY got here! :) However, still waiting on the second passport for a sibling- we shared some of our paperwork and sent both applications/all documents in the same envelope. No word on the documents, or the other passport... you'd have thought they'd send them in the same envelope but apparently not...
Congratulations!

rs.ind
Newly Registered

Post by rs.ind » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:17 am

Hi All

Application Timeline
Passport for: Minor/Child
Method of application: Check & Send
Date of application: 29/05/14
Date application received by IPS:30/05/14
Date of receipt of interview letter: N/A
Date of Passport Appointment: N/A
Date of Passport Receipt: 17/06/14

surprised with the passport turn around .. been lucky enough. Thanks all for putting up your updates, its been very helpfull..

Gnanasekar

Post by Gnanasekar » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:28 am

Gnanasekar wrote:Passport for: Minor (For UK born Child, Both parents on ILR)
Method of application: Post office Check & Send
Date of application: 10-May-2014
Date application received by IPS: 15-May-2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: Not Applicable
Date of Passport Appointment:

Getting a bit tensed with no progress update even after calling their helpline twice. Have plans for visa and travel. Looks like will cause a mess if it doesn't come back in 6 weeks time. Fingers crossed !
Update (18-Jun-2014) - The person who has counter signed the child's passport application has received a letter to confirm details. The same has been filled in and posted today (on pre-stamped envelope). Does anyone know how long (on avergae) should this take after this stage.

tbilai
Newly Registered

Post by tbilai » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:10 am

tbilai wrote:Passport for: Adult
Application Type: First Adult Passport (Naturalised)
Method of application: Check & Send through Post Office, London
Date of application: 13-May-2014
Date of Fees deduction: N/A (Fees taken at the Post Office)
Date application received by IPS: 16-May-2014 at Peterborough (Check through online enquiry)
SMS received: NEVER RECEIVED
Date of receipt of interview letter: 17-June-2014 (Dated: 14-June-2014)
Date of return of documents: 18-June-2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 24-June-2014 at London Victoria
Date of Passport Receipt: TBA

newbie_t

Post by newbie_t » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:39 am

newbie_t wrote:Passport for: Adult First time
Application Type: New (Naturalised)
Method of application: post office check and send
Date of application: 17/05/2014
Date application received by IPS: 22/05/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 17/06/2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 19/06/2014
Update in green..

ijaz.ahmed

Post by ijaz.ahmed » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 am

Applications Submitted : 15 May 2014 (via post office service)
Any Sms/letter acknowledgment : Never
Inquired online: 3rd June 2014
Response email received: 6th June 2014 (Confirming that my application was received at Belfast center on 20th may)
Interview letter received: 11th June 2014 (dated 09th)
Interview : 17th June 2014 (London Victoria center ,detailed account: http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 66783.html )
SMS Passport printing: 18th June 2014
Passport received:

I think long journey is over now ,past 6 years just flew past flashily.It seems like yesterday I landed in this country and now a British citizen.

Thanks everyone whoever helped and you will be relieved soon.

vzum
Newly Registered

Post by vzum » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Passport for: 3 Adults
Application Type: New (Naturalized)
Method of application: Check and Send Service
Date of application: 19/05/2014
Date application received by IPS: 21-May-2014 at Peterborough
Date of SMS Received: 22/05/2014
Date of return of documents: Awaiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: 18/06/2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 20/06/2014 (At Luton)
Date of Passport Receipt: Awaiting
Last edited by vzum on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etoklem

Post by etoklem » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Update
Method of application: Check and Send
Date of application: 03/06/2014
Date SMS Received: Not Yet
Date application received: Did an online enquiry and got a response today saying it was received at Peterborough office on 05/06

Date of receipt of interview letter:
Date of interview appointment:
Date of SMS that Passport is being printed:

lamijm

Post by lamijm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:30 pm

Seems as if most people that are getting interview letters didnt have their application sent to Durham. I applied in the 20th of May and still no interview letter. While others who had their applications sent to peterborough etc are getting quick responses. Lets wait and see......