ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for British citizen child born in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bumblebee123

Re: Applying for British passport for baby born in India to

Post by bumblebee123 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:06 pm

nothing they can do

reddy009

Post by reddy009 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:15 am

bumblebee123 wrote:nothing they can do
Try this
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... -procedure

I am going to do as soon as after 16 weeks.

hemachandra
Newly Registered

Post by hemachandra » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:07 pm

Timeline:
############

Applied for child passport by "childs mother" on 29th October 2014 at chennai VFS.

Payment was debited on 3rd November 2014

Its now 14 weeks and 4 days but there is no information about application status. Today I have tried to reach Passport office dialing (02070354848 - option 3), they were not able to provide application number based on VFS provided "DHL tracking number of application". Asked me to provide applicants name (surname and first name) and also my contact number, then asked me to wait for a call from their office on Thursday (12th Feb).

One of my friend who have applied two months prior to me (August end) is still waiting to hear from Passport office. He was told by passport office that the minimum processing time is 16 weeks and it could take longer than that (No time bound).

When I have applied I believed that 16 weeks could be too much and they may take decision earlier, but looking at posts in this forum and following my friends experience it seems unlikely.

reddy123
Newly Registered

Post by reddy123 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:08 pm

@H_manatee, have you received you childs passport ? What's the current status.

reddy123
Newly Registered

Post by reddy123 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:10 pm

reddy009 wrote:
Try this

When was your application submitted and have you received any kind of correspondence from them?

reddy009

Post by reddy009 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:39 pm

reddy123 wrote:
reddy009 wrote:
Try this

When was your application submitted and have you received any kind of correspondence from them?

I submitted on 19th of Nov. 16 weeks will be by 15th Match.

reddy009

Post by reddy009 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Any one got the passport?

reddy123
Newly Registered

Post by reddy123 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:38 pm

reddy009 wrote:Any one got the passport?
24 Weeks so far and still NOTHING. Contacted HMPO and the response is routine..."Security Checks". Not sure what to do.

reddy009

Post by reddy009 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:53 am

reddy123 wrote:
24 Weeks so far and still NOTHING. Contacted HMPO and the response is routine..."Security Checks". Not sure what to do.
Shall we contact Home Secretary ?

http://www.tmay.co.uk/contact

reddy009

Post by reddy009 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:50 pm

reddy123 wrote:
I heard you can apply for ETD( emergency travel document) after 16 weeks of waiting. Why dont you try?

reddy123
Newly Registered

Post by reddy123 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:55 pm

reddy009 wrote:
reddy123 wrote:
I heard you can apply for ETD( emergency travel document) after 16 weeks of waiting. Why dont you try?
Spoken to few legal advisor's, all they or MP's can do is get the current status of our application. But none can influence the processing time. Knowing current status is of no use to us. Its completely waste of time approaching any one in this matter.

Spoken to BHC in Delhi & Chennai (after calling more than 10 times), they told that I do not qualify to get an ETD, as they can't see anything emergency. They confirmed that ETD is issued only in real emergency cases like health issues or a life threat to the applicant.

There are few people who keep trying for ETD, but of no use... one such example below...

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... cation_for

reddy009

Post by reddy009 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:02 am

what if your wife needs to start job after completion of her maternity holiday? does it qualify to apply ETD?

reddy123
Newly Registered

Post by reddy123 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:21 pm

reddy009 wrote:what if your wife needs to start job after completion of her maternity holiday? does it qualify to apply ETD?
I am not sure, but when I spoke to them on phone, they said we need attend interview personally (both parents along with applicant) with all supporting documents to show them that it is emergency, based on the information we provide them they will decide if we can be given ETD or not.

May be in your case, you can submit a letter from your wife's employers saying they need her back ASAP.

ilrtier1

Post by ilrtier1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi,

I am a BC since 2014. I & My wife have ILR since 2011. We need to bring our new born baby girl to the UK from India.
Option 1: If I apply for direct british passort for the baby, the website says 16 weeks. I would like to know if anybody has been interviewed for British passport for their kid OTHER than in Delhi in India.
As I have to return to the UK in two weeks time, I cannot submit my original passport with the baby's passport application. Can I notorize my passport with an Indian lawyer, thought the gov.uk website says UK solicitor to be notorized?
The processing time mentioned is minimum 16 weeks in the gov.uk website. Has any applicant obtained the passport in 16 weeks?
The issue is my wife needs to start work after her 6 months maternity leave in August. If the maternity needs to be extended we need to inform the empoyer two months in advance. means I should know if the baby is going to get a passport by end of May. ie, in 12 weeks time.

Other option we think is o obtain an Indian passport and apply for ILR for the baby. The time mentioned for ilr only is 12 weeks. The Indian passport may obtain with in 2 weeks. Hence in total 14 weeks time, we may be able to take a decision about travel date to the UK.

Has anybody applied for childs british passport and obtained in 16 weeks? what were the documents included?
Similarly has anybody applied for ilr from India for child, which form did you use?

Can anybody please give advice, as I need to return to the UK in two weeks, and before that I need to submit application.

Thanks very much in advance

Atel

kapil0481
Newly Registered

Post by kapil0481 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi H_manatee,

Thanks for your valuable post, very useful.

Only i have British passport and my wife is on ILR visa and would like to apply for British Passport of child.

I have couple of questions:

1. Is it required for both parents to be present at VFS office to apply for child's British passport in India?
2. Once British Passport is received, What is the procedure to apply for OCI or India Visa for child ?

Please advice.

Regards,
Kapil

kapil0481
Newly Registered

Post by kapil0481 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi H_manatee,

Thanks for your valuable post, very useful.

In our case, Only i have British passport and my wife is on ILR visa and would like to apply for British Passport of child in India.

I have couple of questions:

1. Is it required for both parents to be present at VFS office to apply for child's British passport in India?
2. Once British Passport is received, What is the procedure to apply for OCI or India Visa for child ?

Please advice.

Regards,
Kapil

hemachandra
Newly Registered

Post by hemachandra » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi Kapil,

To answer one of your question, no need for both parents to be present to apply for UK passport at VFS office. If one of the parent (preferably mother of baby if she is already in India to look after the baby) that should suffice.

As far as your second question goes, you can apply for your childs OCI once they are in UK.
Possibly it can be applied in India too after receiving UK passport (NOt sure about it)

Regards,
Hemachandra

niteshkumar2222
Newly Registered

Post by niteshkumar2222 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi H_Manate

Did you receive the passport yet?

Mine is exactly the same case, I applied for my daughter's passport on 28th July by post to British High Commission, New Delhi and till today getting the same reply 'Application is undergoing security checks'.

Feeling stressed, has anyone got their passport.

Thanks
Nitesh

darsh24
Newly Registered

Post by darsh24 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:42 pm

I applied on 28th Oct. I got email today to attend an interview at VFS on 21st April.
Will update.

Does anyone know once passport arrives, do we need to get exit permit? How to get that?

hemachandra
Newly Registered

Post by hemachandra » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:47 pm

Darsh24,

Glad to hear positive news from you, please share details after your interview.

Also I have requested Liverpool team to provide application number (Child passport application), they have replied they are unable to provide one. They have informed I can seek application status providing them with "applicants full name" and "Date of birth". I am surprised, did any of you experience this?

Best wishes,
Hemachandra

rajvet

Post by rajvet » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi All
I am asking this question on behalf of my friend
He got his ILR last year and have two children who were born in pakistan and living there. Can he apply for his children for registraion now or after getting his british passport OR is there only way to apply them as dependents from pakistan.
Thanks

darsh24
Newly Registered

Post by darsh24 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:11 am

hemachandra wrote:Darsh24,

Glad to hear positive news from you, please share details after your interview.

Also I have requested Liverpool team to provide application number (Child passport application), they have replied they are unable to provide one. They have informed I can seek application status providing them with "applicants full name" and "Date of birth". I am surprised, did any of you experience this?

Best wishes,
Hemachandra

Hello Hemachandra

I too contacted liverpool office several times. They reply by email saying its under security check in India. We can't do anything more but to wait.
We contacted MP also to help. He tried and got back with same reply 'security check'. They never provided barcode number to tract the application.

Delhi office also doesn't have direct line to contact regarding this. They say !this office for emergency travel documents, please contact Liverpool.'

It is very frustrating.

I will update after the interview.

hemachandra
Newly Registered

Post by hemachandra » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:13 pm

rajvet wrote:Hi All
I am asking this question on behalf of my friend
He got his ILR last year and have two children who were born in pakistan and living there. Can he apply for his children for registraion now or after getting his british passport OR is there only way to apply them as dependents from pakistan.
Thanks
@Rajvet,
Better to apply for dependent visa for children prior to applying for UK passport (Father). Dependent visas will be issued by High commission in Pakistan. To my knowledge this will be the only possibility and with less hassle.

rajvet

Post by rajvet » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks very much .
Will he be able to apply for registration once his family reaches here in UK .

darsh24
Newly Registered

Post by darsh24 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:13 pm

I will update after the interview.[/quote]

Update:

I went for interview today at VFS Mumbai. This is part of first time passport application.

It was a telephonic interview. The person was calling from Delhi British high commission. There was a camera so that you are seen to them.

Questions were regarding application.
Name, DOB of both spouses, date of marriage, counter signatory's details, your entire history UK Visa's, naturalisation details, addresses, medical records details.

He was writing the replies and then will send it over to Liverpool for decision.

They said, due to backlog at Liverpool office, it may take 3-4 weeks for passport to arrive.