ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anub2016
Mood:

British Passport

Post by anub2016 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:34 pm

Hi,

I was on ILR through the T2 (General) route and had applied for the Naturalisation. I received the Naturalisation approval last week and will be attending my Ceremony in a week's time.

I intend to apply for the British Passport for myself and my child once I have received my Naturalisation Certificate.

Please could I request the Moderators/Experts to advise on the below queries.

* My child was born when I was on ILR and while my Naturalisation application was being processed.
What original documents would I need to send to HMPO in support of my child's British Passport application?

* The approval email specifies returning the ILR BRP to the Home Office after the Ceremony. Is there a time limit for returning the BRP?
Could I return the BRP after I have received the child's Passport in case the original BRP card is required? Could there be a Penalty if I do not return the BRP within a timeline?

* What original documents would I need to send to HMPO in support of my own British Passport application?

* Could I use the same Referees for my own Passport application who I had used for my Naturalisation application?

Would Referees be required for my child's Passport application as well? Could they be the same Referees as mine?

Do they need to physically sign my Photograph if I am applying online?

* How long does it usually take for the Passport and Original Documents to arrive after the original documents have been sent to the HMPO for processing?

* Please could you point me to the questions in the Online application form for the British Passport so I know them in advance of filling in the form.

Many Thanks.

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Re: British Passport

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:46 pm

anub2016 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:34 pm
Hi,

I was on ILR through the T2 (General) route and had applied for the Naturalisation. I received the Naturalisation approval last week and will be attending my Ceremony in a week's time.

I intend to apply for the British Passport for myself and my child once I have received my Naturalisation Certificate.

Please could I request the Moderators/Experts to advise on the below queries.

* My child was born when I was on ILR and while my Naturalisation application was being processed.
What original documents would I need to send to HMPO in support of my child's British Passport application? Birth certificate, your ILR certificate/permanent residence card/whatever document shows you had ILR at the time of birth

* The approval email specifies returning the ILR BRP to the Home Office after the Ceremony. Is there a time limit for returning the BRP?
Could I return the BRP after I have received the child's Passport in case the original BRP card is required? Could there be a Penalty if I do not return the BRP within a timeline? You are supposed to return it after 5 days and there is a fine of £1000 if you don't, though other users of this forum have argued that needing to prove your ILR to obtain citizenship foryour child is a good enough reason to keep t. Others may advise more than me on this.

* What original documents would I need to send to HMPO in support of my own British Passport application? all your urrent passports, naturalisation certificate.

* Could I use the same Referees for my own Passport application who I had used for my Naturalisation application? Yes. you will only need 1 referee who is a professional person.

Would Referees be required for my child's Passport application as well? Could they be the same Referees as mine? Yes, if they know the child (preferably in a professional capacity)

Do they need to physically sign my Photograph if I am applying online? No, they will get an email.

* How long does it usually take for the Passport and Original Documents to arrive after the original documents have been sent to the HMPO for processing? Your documents will be returned to you when the passport is printed, current standard is 10 weeks but there is a backlog of appplications.

* Please could you point me to the questions in the Online application form for the British Passport so I know them in advance of filling in the form. You can browse the guidance here https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... a-passport , the questions are the same on the online form.

Many Thanks.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:11 am

Many Thanks for your reply contorted_svy

* My approval email has the following text regarding returning the BRP -
If you have a BRP card you should return it for secure destruction. You may have to pay a penalty of up to £1000 if you fail to return an invalid BRP.

It does not mention a timeline (5 days) and is not using the words such as MUST or WILL. It sounds more as an advisory.
Has anyone been fined for not returning the BRP?
Please could the Moderators advise.

* Can I apply for my own British Passport and my child's Passport in the same application form or do they have to be different applications?

Are there any original documents which will be required by the HMPO for both my child's and my own application in which case I won't be able to apply at the same time?

* I have three passports in total for the same country - first (5 years; expired and cancelled), second (10 years; expired and cancelled) and third (10 years; currently valid passport).

I had used the second passport to come to the UK and the third passport was applied for from within the UK.
Do I need to send all three Passports or just the second and third?

* Can the Professional Referee be an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) as the list of recognised professions does not include ADI?

* My child is just a month old. So, could I use the above Referee for my child as well?

* Do I need to get a Digital Photograph for applying for my child's and my own Passports online?
And do Referee just have to validate the email (by clicking a link etc.) they receive from the HMPO or do they need to send any physical documents?

Many Thanks.

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:59 pm

Please could I request the Moderators / Experts to advise on my queries.

Many Thanks.

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:16 am

anub2016 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:11 am

If you have a BRP card you should return it for secure destruction. You may have to pay a penalty of up to £1000 if you fail to return an invalid BRP.

It does not mention a timeline (5 days) and is not using the words such as MUST or WILL. It sounds more as an advisory.

Official guidance from https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Guide_.pdf (page 26) states
Returning your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
If you did not return your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) when you applied to
become a British citizen, you must return it to the Home Office within 5 days from the
date you attended your Citizenship ceremony, or the date you were issued with a
certificate of naturalisation/registration, whichever is sooner.
Send to the following address, to be destroyed:
Naturalisation BRP Returns
PO Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT
Cut up your BRP and return your cancelled permit in a windowless plain envelope,
with a covering note, which clearly explains the reason for return or an explanation
for not returning the card
Should you fail to return the BRP or notify the department of the reasons for not
being able to do so, the Secretary of State may impose a fine of up to £1,000.
If you need to travel to and from the UK after being granted British citizenship you
must apply for a British passport or a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode,
to be placed in your foreign passport. Guidance on applying for a British passport
can be found on Gov.UK.
Following a grant of citizenship your BRP will be cancelled, which means a carrier
may refuse to accept it as evidence that you are entitled to reside in the UK.
Contents

* Can I apply for my own British Passport and my child's Passport in the same application form or do they have to be different applications? Two applications.

Are there any original documents which will be required by the HMPO for both my child's and my own application in which case I won't be able to apply at the same time? If you navigate the online form until the end you will get the checklists. Was your son born after you obtained ILR or before? If he was born before you will need to register hum as British with form MN1, you can't apply for his passport yet.

* I have three passports in total for the same country - first (5 years; expired and cancelled), second (10 years; expired and cancelled) and third (10 years; currently valid passport).

I had used the second passport to come to the UK and the third passport was applied for from within the UK.
Do I need to send all three Passports or just the second and third?Only current passports that haven't been cancelled.

* Can the Professional Referee be an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) as the list of recognised professions does not include ADI?
An approved driving instructor is fine, see page 25 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ionals.pdf
* My child is just a month old. So, could I use the above Referee for my child as well? The referee must know the child, preferably in a professional capacity. If this person is a family friend it should be OK

* Do I need to get a Digital Photograph for applying for my child's and my own Passports online? Yes. You can either take the pictures yourself or go to a shop and say it's for a passport picture, they will give you a code to enter on the website.
And do Referee just have to validate the email (by clicking a link etc.) they receive from the HMPO or do they need to send any physical documents?
They will click on an email
Many Thanks.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:17 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:16 am
anub2016 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:11 am

Official guidance from https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Guide_.pdf (page 26) states
Returning your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
If you did not return your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) when you applied to
become a British citizen, you must return it to the Home Office within 5 days from the
date you attended your Citizenship ceremony, or the date you were issued with a
certificate of naturalisation/registration, whichever is sooner.
Send to the following address, to be destroyed:
Naturalisation BRP Returns
PO Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT
Cut up your BRP and return your cancelled permit in a windowless plain envelope,
with a covering note, which clearly explains the reason for return or an explanation
for not returning the card
Should you fail to return the BRP or notify the department of the reasons for not
being able to do so, the Secretary of State may impose a fine of up to £1,000.
If you need to travel to and from the UK after being granted British citizenship you
must apply for a British passport or a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode,
to be placed in your foreign passport. Guidance on applying for a British passport
can be found on Gov.UK.
Following a grant of citizenship your BRP will be cancelled, which means a carrier
may refuse to accept it as evidence that you are entitled to reside in the UK.
Contents

* Can I apply for my own British Passport and my child's Passport in the same application form or do they have to be different applications? Two applications.

Are there any original documents which will be required by the HMPO for both my child's and my own application in which case I won't be able to apply at the same time? If you navigate the online form until the end you will get the checklists. Was your son born after you obtained ILR or before? If he was born before you will need to register hum as British with form MN1, you can't apply for his passport yet.

Do I need to send all three Passports or just the second and third?Only current passports that haven't been cancelled.

An approved driving instructor is fine, see page 25 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ionals.pdf
* My child is just a month old. So, could I use the above Referee for my child as well? The referee must know the child, preferably in a professional capacity. If this person is a family friend it should be OK

* Do I need to get a Digital Photograph for applying for my child's and my own Passports online? Yes. You can either take the pictures yourself or go to a shop and say it's for a passport picture, they will give you a code to enter on the website.
They will click on an email
Many Thanks.
Many Thanks contorted_svy

This is very helpful.

My child was born when I was on ILR but my Naturalisation application was being processed.

Now that I have received the approval for my application, I will be applying for my British Passport once I have attended the Ceremony.

As the child's claim to the British Passport is my ILR, I will perhaps need to send the original ILR BRP card (which I find unnecessary as they can always check it in Home Office records) and as such I cannot return it. What shall I do?

Also, as I had ILR at the time of birth, can I apply for the child's British Passport straight away? Do I need to do anything else before applying for the child's Passport?

As I will be applying for my own Passport and the baby's Passport at the same time (two different applications), are there any common documents which will be required by HMPO in original for both applications, in which case, I will have to apply one after the other (when HMPO have returned the original document)?

Many Thanks.

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:13 pm

Perhaps you could apply for your child's passport before you become British and have to surrender your BRP? I agree it's a clumsy rule, and it does give issues to a number of applicants.

In the text I quoted above I highlighted the part about the covering letter on why you can't return your BRP - maybe you can do that. I don't have personal experience on this, but other members do.

Your child is already British, so you can apply for his passport at any time.

For your passport you should need:
- your current passport
- naturalisation certificate

For your child's passport you should need:
- your BRP
- his full birth certificate with your name on it

So no overlapping documents.

If you go through the online form and tick the relevant options it will give you a documents checklist.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:24 pm

Your ilr brp is the only evidence and proof that your child is automatically British
You should not send it back and keep it. Many have done this with no issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:33 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:13 pm
Perhaps you could apply for your child's passport before you become British and have to surrender your BRP? I agree it's a clumsy rule, and it does give issues to a number of applicants.

In the text I quoted above I highlighted the part about the covering letter on why you can't return your BRP - maybe you can do that. I don't have personal experience on this, but other members do.

Your child is already British, so you can apply for his passport at any time.

For your passport you should need:
- your current passport
- naturalisation certificate

For your child's passport you should need:
- your BRP
- his full birth certificate with your name on it

So no overlapping documents.

If you go through the online form and tick the relevant options it will give you a documents checklist.
Many Thanks contorted_svy.

I really appreciate your detailed responses to my queries.

Its good to know that there are no overlapping documents for my child's and my own British Passport application which implies that I can in theory apply for the Passports at the same time.

I would have applied for my Passport after my child's but its a long wait these days and we may have to travel to our home country with the child. My wife is on T2 General, else I could have used her BRP as proof and returned mine.

CR001 has advised that a lot of members have not returned their ILR BRP and have had no issues. So, I will go with her advice and keep my BRP so I have no issues with my child's Passport.

After the Passports have been processed, is there a provision to get the original documents back through a secured courier service which can be tracked, instead of through Royal Mail?

Do they fold the Certificate when sending it back or shall I send a Do Not Bend envelope with my application, so they can send it back in that?

Many Thanks.

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:35 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:24 pm
Your ilr brp is the only evidence and proof that your child is automatically British
Many Thanks CR001.

Could the BRP be returned after the child's British Passport has been received or could it still be required in the future to prove the child's British Passport, in case they delete the digital ILR records after a certain number of years?

Many Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:43 pm

anub2016 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:35 pm
CR001 wrote:
Many Thanks CR001.

Could the BRP be returned after the child's British Passport has been received or could it still be required in the future to prove the child's British Passport, in case they delete the digital ILR records after a certain number of years?

Many Thanks.
It could still be asked for in the future. You must keep the ilr brp as that is the only proof. A passport is only a travel document.

british-citizenship/important-return-br ... l#p1600582
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:55 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:43 pm
anub2016 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:35 pm
CR001 wrote:
Many Thanks CR001.

Many Thanks.
It could still be asked for in the future. You must keep the ilr brp as that is the only proof. A passport is only a travel document.

british-citizenship/important-return-br ... l#p1600582
Many Thanks CR001.

That makes sense. I will keep the ILR BRP.

Will the HMPO send it to the Home Office after processing the child's Passport or will they return it to me?

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:40 am

They will return it to you.

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:17 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:40 am
Many Thanks.

After the Passports have been processed, is there a provision to get the original documents back through a secured courier service which can be tracked, instead of through Royal Mail?

Do they fold the Certificate when sending it back or shall I send a Do Not Bend envelope with my application, so they can send it back in that?

Many Thanks.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:40 am

anub2016 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:17 am
contorted_svy wrote:
Many Thanks.

Many Thanks.
Nope, they send it the way they want to send it.

Your "do not bend" would probably be tossed somewhere at the HMPO.

You'd be fine.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:05 am

anub2016 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:17 am
contorted_svy wrote:
Many Thanks.

Many Thanks.

I think you can pay £5 extra for Royal Mail signed for (but check on the application form).

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:31 pm

Hi,

I have now received my Certificate of Naturalisation and will be applying for my first British Passport.
Please could the Moderators/Experts advise on my below queries.

* What is the link to apply online for the British Passport using the Certificate of Naturalisation?
Is the link same for anyone applying for the first British Passport?

* Is there a Priority Service available for the Passport?

* Regarding the Photo, is a Digital Code mandatory or could a Digital Photo be uploaded as well?

* Could the scanned copies of the Documents be uploaded or is it mandatory to send the Documents in original?

* Is there a list of questions that will be asked on the online Application Form so I could be prepared before starting the Application process?

Many Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:35 pm

1. Same link for everyone. Easily found if you Google it.

2. No there is no faster service for first adult passports

3. You simply need a photo, follow the instructions.

4. You must send originals. There is no "scanning" option for passport applications.

5. Why not pick up a form at the post office to see!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:11 pm

Hi,

The professional photographer I usually go to told me that they do not provide the code for the digital Passport photo anymore as there have been issues with this process.
They will instead email me the digital photo to upload on the British Passport application.

Is that fine? Will that be accepted?

The guidance on the gov.uk website says that photo with a code is more likely to be accepted.

Is the photo with a code pre-verified by the HMPO?

Many Thanks.

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:58 am

Hi,

For my British Passport application,
I do not have a code but a digital photo taken by a professional which I uploaded to the application but it cropped the upper part of the hair in the results page although the result of the photo was good.
Is that normal? Should I proceed from there?

Please could the Moderators/Experts advise.

Many Thanks.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:55 am

anub2016 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:58 am
Hi,

For my British Passport application,
I do not have a code but a digital photo taken by a professional which I uploaded to the application but it cropped the upper part of the hair in the results page although the result of the photo was good.
Is that normal? Should I proceed from there?

Please could the Moderators/Experts advise.

Many Thanks.
That might probably get rejected or delay your passport application. Not sure why you bother with a professional photographer. Take one with your phone.
Don't use the selfie mode. Get someone to take you. Cream background. Good lighting. Don't stay too close to the wall. It would be fine.

I did my kids passport by myself. Just find the perfect place in your house or office and take it.

I reckon the full face needs to show, and that means your full head.

A guillotined head is not a great start. :P
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:51 pm

Hi,

On the British Passport application,

* What is the Date of Issue of the Naturalisation Certificate?

* My Place of Birth on the Naturalisation Certificate shows it as Town, State as was on my foreign passport. Shall I write it on the application as is on my Certificate?
Would the Town of Birth include the Country of Birth as well as the Certificate shows Town, State, Country?

* My Referee has both a First and Middle Name.
The question asks First Name and not Given Names, so should I just enter the First Name and not the Middle Name?

Many Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:00 pm

anub2016 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:51 pm
Hi,

On the British Passport application,

* What is the Date of Issue of the Naturalisation Certificate? It's on the certificate - the date you attended the ceremony

* My Place of Birth on the Naturalisation Certificate shows it as Town, State as was on my foreign passport. Shall I write it on the application as is on my Certificate? Just town - that's all that the passport will show.
Would the Town of Birth include the Country of Birth as well as the Certificate shows Town, State, Country?
Just town - that's all that the passport will show.

* My Referee has both a First and Middle Name.
The question asks First Name and not Given Names, so should I just enter the First Name and not the Middle Name? Just state what has been asked. First and surname if that's what is required.

Many Thanks.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

anub2016
Mood:

Post by anub2016 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:36 pm

Hi,

Does the status 'Application received' on the British Passport application mean that the Referee has been accepted?

Is there a deadline to send the original documents?

Many Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:46 pm

No, it means the application is received, as it says.

You would have been told at the end of the process where to send your documents and should send them sooner rather than later.
Char (CR001 not Casa)