ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born abroad - One parent BC after child birth

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Andreas1
Newly Registered

Child born abroad - One parent BC after child birth

Post by Andreas1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:00 pm

Can I please ask for some advice.

1. My child was born in EU in 2012

2. Both parents married - EU citizens

3. Father naturalised British Citizen in 2016.

4. All the family lives in England.

Can we apply for a passport or do I have to fill MN1 form. And if I have to fill the MN1 I am using the
Section 3(5) act.?

Many thanks

zimba
Mood:

Re: Child born abroad - One parent BC after child birth

Post by zimba » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:27 pm

To register under MN1, child must be settled here plus one parent must be British and the other must be either settled here or is applying to become British.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:27 pm

It is a section 3(1) application for a child born abroad.

Child also needs or or settled status first.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Andreas1 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:00 pm
And if I have to fill the MN1 I am using the Section 3(5) act.?
No, as CR001 and Zimba have mentioned above, it would be a Section 3(1) application.

Section 3(5) is for registrations where one of the parents themselves is a British citizen by descent. As one of the parents has naturalised, they are a British citizen otherwise than by descent. Therefore Section 3(5) does not apply to the children born abroad to them.

What is the UK immigration status of the other non-UK citizen parent?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Andreas1
Newly Registered

Post by Andreas1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:21 pm

Thanks for your response the other parent is EU citizen.

My concern is that even section 3 (1) does not describe our situation as it says "Children born abroad to parents who are applying for British citizenship".

On this occasion none of the parents is actually applying for Citizenship as I am a citizen since 2016.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:24 pm

You are overthinking and possibly missing another part bout a parent being British already. Section 3(1) is the correct option.

If you are British and the other parent and the child have PR, then you can register the child.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Andreas1
Newly Registered

Post by Andreas1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks for the response

I was not aware that a child has to apply for a PR prior to the MN1 form if their parent is British Citizen.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Children born abroad need PR first and can only apply for British citizenship when either parent is also applying OR when one parent is already British and the other parent holds PR.

It is very important to note that you becoming British in 2016 does NOT have a retrospective effect for your daughter or give any special entitlements to her. She has to meet all the requirements or it will be refused and you lose the £1023 fee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Andreas1
Newly Registered

Post by Andreas1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:02 pm

Thank you very much for this useful information.

I must admit that I did not know the part about the PR of the child and the other parent being a prerequisite for filling form MN1. And when I am reading the guidance for MN1 it is not mentioned too.

In any case thank you for the advice.

Have a nice night

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 am

Practically you can apply for settled status for your child with minimum documentation as long as they have been in the UK for 5 years. It's free now. School letters are great and will cover large periods. After this is granted (and it should be fairly quick, maybe 1-2 weeks), there is no need to wait further to make the registration application.

To clarify settled status is sufficient instead of PR - different things but give freedom of immigration rules.