ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child lived in UK for continuous 10 years - Born outside of UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

raththam

Query on Child British Citizenship

Post by raththam » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:32 am

Hi,

Could you kindly let me know steps to follow for my child's British Citizenship?

Father : British Citizen ( naturalization ; renounced Indian citizenship and acquired OCI card )

Daughter and Mother: Currently on Family Visa and Indian passport holders , will be completing 10 Years living in UK legally 2025 , ( ICT Dependent , 5 years + Family Visa 5 years ) under Long Residence Route

Continuous Period of Living in UK : No gap whatsoever. Fulfilling the requirement as mentioned.

Daughter : Born outside of UK ( India )

My daughter who is 9 is year will be completing 10 Years living in UK legally under Long Residence Route in 2025 . Will she need to apply for ILR first and get the ILR or she can directly apply for British Citizenship?

How soon we apply for British Citizenship for my daughter after she has ILR if ILR is required first ?

I read that naturalization required only after child become 18 years adult and get British Citizenship via naturalization as an adult. Will my daughter can have British Citizenship until she become adult ?

Can i apply for my daughter ILR first and or British Citizenship ( just to split the expenses in piece meal ) ?

As there are in Family visa , they can apply for 5 year route under Family visa category in 2026 Mid for ILR but they are eligible for 10 year route as well before that in early 2025.. Can i safely assume Family Visa time can be included in 10 Year Long Resident route.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Query on Child British Citizenship

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:29 am

As daughter was born out of the UK she will need to get ILR before she can apply for registration I believe.
If she becomes registered as British citizen she won't need to naturalise - registration has the same outcome as naturalisation, but registration is for under 18 years old while naturalisation is for adults.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

raththam

Child lived in UK for continuous 10 years - Born outside of UK

Post by raththam » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:41 am

is there a way, I can apply for british citizenship (by registering ) for my daughter who was born in India but lived in the UK for 10 years continuously? What is MN1 route and Form T?

Anyone here applies for their kid to have British Citizenship directly without ILR ( PR) under the 10-year route.

raththam

Re: Child lived in UK for continuous 10 years - Born outside of UK

Post by raththam » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:55 am

raththam wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:41 am
is there a way, I can apply for british citizenship (by registering ) for my daughter who was born in India but lived in the UK for 10 years continuously? What is MN1 route and Form T?

Anyone here applies for their kid to have British Citizenship directly without ILR ( PR) under the 10-year route.
Father is British Citizen by naturalisation (not when child born) ; Mother is on Family Visa but completing 10 years in UK ( continous residence )

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:10 am

Child follows immigration path of the less privileged parent. When mother is eligible for ILR child can also apply for ilr and then fir citizenship. ILR is required.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

raththam

Post by raththam » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:17 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:10 am
Child follows immigration path of the less privileged parent. When mother is eligible for ILR child can also apply for ilr and then fir citizenship. ILR is required.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... gistration

in the link above they say the following

Registration at the Home Secretary’s discretion – Section 3(1) application

There are some situations where we will normally register a child, which are set out below.

Children who have lived in the UK for more than 10 years

Children will come within this category if:

the child is in the UK lawfully

the parents are in the UK lawfully

both parents give their consent to registration (unless good reasons are provided)

there is no reason to refuse on character grounds.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:09 am

You're free to gamble with your money. If child gets registered, lucky you. If not, money gone.

You've been advised the correct way, with ILR as a requirement for your child.

The choice is yours to make.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:29 am

raththam wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:17 am
contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:10 am
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... gistration

in the link above they say the following

Registration at the Home Secretary’s discretion – Section 3(1) application

There are some situations where we will normally register a child, which are set out below.

Children who have lived in the UK for more than 10 years

Children will come within this category if:

the child is in the UK lawfully

the parents are in the UK lawfully

both parents give their consent to registration (unless good reasons are provided)

there is no reason to refuse on character grounds.
If you already made up your mind go ahead and apply, it is your money after all. ILR is expected for children in your situation to be registered as citizens.