ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ibnadam

Citizenship application questions

Post by ibnadam » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:26 pm

Hi all,

Wife received ILR approval recently, and we're planning to submit the Citizenship application ASAP. I was hoping to confirm my understanding of the process with people on this forum please.

In terms of application, do we just need to fill the online version?

Does each referee need to sign a paper form, and write applicant's name and D.o.B on the back of a photo?

And finally, is the following document checklist correct?

- Applicant passport (all pages scanned)
- Applicant expired passport (all pages scanned)
- Spouse passport (all pages scanned)
- 2 photos (signed by referees)
- Marriage certificate + translation of marriage certificate
- ILR BRP
- Life in the UK test (same one used for ILR)
- IELTS B1 test for English requirement (same one used for ILR)
- 2 signed referee forms

Are those enough or am I missing something? Also, most documents are similar to what we've uploaded for ILR. Can we use the scanned copies we uploaded for ILR for this application as well, or do we need to scan new copies?

Thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship application questions

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:28 pm

ibnadam wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:26 pm
Hi all,

Wife received ILR approval recently, and we're planning to submit the Citizenship application ASAP. I was hoping to confirm my understanding of the process with people on this forum please.

In terms of application, do we just need to fill the online version?
[/highlight]Yes[/highlight]

Does each referee need to sign a paper form, and write applicant's name and D.o.B on the back of a photo?
You will input the referee details in the online form before submission. Referee signs the form only

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

And finally, is the following document checklist correct?

- Applicant passport (all pages scanned) Last 3 years required only
- Applicant expired passport (all pages scanned)
- Spouse passport (all pages scanned) Bio British Passport is enough
- 2 photos (signed by referees)
- Marriage certificate + translation of marriage certificate
- ILR BRP
- Life in the UK test (same one used for ILR)
- IELTS B1 test for English requirement (same one used for ILR)
- 2 signed referee forms

Are those enough or am I missing something? Also, most documents are similar to what we've uploaded for ILR. Can we use the scanned copies we uploaded for ILR for this application as well, or do we need to scan new copies?
All looks good. You can use same

Thanks.
*Assuming you are a British Citizen*
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:30 pm

Steps to follow after completing the form online.
Depending on your visa category, you will fill the appropriate form online:

Step 1: Pay fee and submit application via UKVI ONLINE.
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... onality-an
Guidance:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ber_20.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf

Tip: Date of application is the date you pay and submit online, biometrics date is irrelevant.

Step 2: After payment, you will reach “further actions page.” If you click on “book an appointment,” system will reroute you to create an account on UKVCAS where you can upload your documents and book an appointment.

Tip: You are sent an access code to set up an account on UKVCAS which usually lands up in Junk folder.

Step 3: Booking an appointment with UKVCAS.

You must book an appointment now. IDV is the past except T4. You get 45 working days after submission.

Tip: You are given a deadline to submit your biometrics on the further actions page. Since the backlog for biometrics has subsided, you should meet the deadline.

Step 4: Now you can submit your documents to UKVI via UKVCAS portal even before your biometrics. The option usually appears when you have uploaded all your documents, sign out and sign in again. The option can be found on the “document upload page” right at the bottom.

Note: Self-submission is OPTIONAL. If you want to benefit from the new feature, you must upload and self-submit up to 48hrs before the appointment. If you do NOT want to self-submit, you can upload ANYTIME before the appointment date and submit at the appointment itself. Self-submission is recommended as you may save some processing time - your documents are sent to UKVI even before biometrics in this case. You can self-submit only ONCE. But if you forget to upload any documents, you can always upload later on (after self-submission) and submit at the appointment then (you will not be able to self-submit again but can submit at appointment again).

Read “self-submit” “submit” “upload” separately.

Tip: The best approach would be to benefit from the new self-submit feature.

Step 5: Once the process as stated above is completed, you should wait for a decision.
Cullinan
Suggestion for booking biometrics appointments, might be helpful to new users:

You have 45 working days to book an appointment (excluding Sat/Sun) after online submission. These days biometrics appointments are running at a 28 days lag i.e. you get an appointment for the 28th day unless you get to find an earlier cancellation.

My suggestion:
1) Login UKVCAS booking system 12 AM midnight GMT to look for appointments.

2) Look for different centres and locations if you are willing to travel.

3) Look continuously for 3/4 days regularly (after submission and before booking a slot) to find an earlier cancellation or free appointments during the day/after midnight. For free appointments look especially between 6am-9am in the morning. Free options are offered by Core Centres only (week days).

4) If you fail and can not find any earlier cancellations or free appointments for next 3/4 days after submission, book one logging in at 12 AM midnight GMT. You will get one for the 28th day (has to be a week day for better availability). If the 28th day is a Sat/Sun, availability will be almost nil.

I would suggest you try your luck for 3/4 days before you book one. Once you book an appointment, you will not be able to see any more availability.
Cullinan
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Timeline (delays due to corona):
1) Decision can take up to 6 months (sent via email/or post). But majority are decided in 3-4 months.

2) Ceremony invitation can take up to 3 months after Approval (sent via email/or post).

3) After you receive ceremony invitation from HO: Ceremony date depending on council availability/modes of ceremony conducted via the particular council.

Note: Adults become British only on date of ceremony (not approval).

You are free to travel before ceremony on ILR BRP. After ceremony you become a British Citizen and need British Passport to travel.

You apply for British Passport separately after ceremony and once you have naturalisation certificate in hand.

ibnadam

Post by ibnadam » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks very much for the replies, much appreciated.

ibnadam

Post by ibnadam » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi again.

Question about the sponsor passport please. Is it acceptable to submit the sponsor British passport even if it's expired, or is it safer to renew it if it has been expired?

Thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:16 pm

ibnadam wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:19 pm
Hi again.

Question about the sponsor passport please. Is it acceptable to submit the sponsor British passport even if it's expired, or is it safer to renew it if it has been expired?

Thanks.
Should be okay. How did you (British Partner) acquire your own British Citizenship?

ibnadam

Post by ibnadam » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:29 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:16 pm
ibnadam wrote:
Hi again.

Thanks.
Should be okay. How did you (British Partner) acquire your own British Citizenship?
Thanks for the reply.

I acquired it through naturalisation.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:29 pm

ibnadam wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:29 am
CULLINAN wrote:
ibnadam wrote:
Hi again.

Thanks.
Thanks for the reply.

Attach copy of your Naturalisation Certificate then as that is the proof that you are British (not your British Passport). So does not matter if your British Passport is expired anyways.

ibnadam

Post by ibnadam » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:06 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:29 pm
ibnadam wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:29 am
CULLINAN wrote:
ibnadam wrote:
Hi again.

Thanks.
Thanks for the reply.

Attach copy of your Naturalisation Certificate then as that is the proof that you are British (not your British Passport). So does not matter if your British Passport is expired anyways.
Thanks for the clarification.

One more question please.

Can I use a doctor or a pharmacist for the professional referee part? I've read doctors are acceptable even though they don't appear on the government list because they asked for their profession to be removed, but I want to double check that they're still acceptable as we have a friend doctor.

I can't see pharmacist on the list, but I couldn't find anything that says a pharmacist referee is unacceptable, so was hoping to confirm that too.

Thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Chemist is on the list. Probably chemist/pharmacist is the same thing. Follow the gov list. No one can tell you if you arrange someone off the list will be accepted or not. You can try if you want. If HO is not happy they will write to arrange another referee.

ibnadam

Post by ibnadam » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:34 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:10 pm
Chemist is on the list. Probably chemist/pharmacist is the same thing. Follow the gov list. No one can tell you if you arrange someone off the list will be accepted or not. You can try if you want. If HO is not happy they will write to arrange another referee.
Yeah I was thinking chemist/pharmacist is probably the same.

One more question please. Where does the referee need to put their job title? The form I can find only asks for their name and signature:
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

Thanks.

ibnadam

Post by ibnadam » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 am

Sorry I think that's the wrong form for adult Citizenship (MN1 rather than AN). I'll have a look at the online application.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:12 am

ibnadam wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 am
Sorry I think that's the wrong form for adult Citizenship (MN1 rather than AN). I'll have a look at the online application.
It is the same referee declaration form for AN or MN1 does not matter. All referee details are input in the online form itself before online submission. Referee only fills and signs the referee declaration as stated in the link above then.

ibnadam

Post by ibnadam » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:22 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:12 am
ibnadam wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 am
It is the same referee declaration form for AN or MN1 does not matter. All referee details are input in the online form itself before online submission. Referee only fills and signs the referee declaration as stated in the link above then.
Thanks very much for the clarification, much appreciated.

I've got another question please if you don't mind. I'm probably overthinking it. The referees I've used have written my first and last name on the referee form. However, I do have middle names in my full name. Assume it's not a problem that only my first/last names are on the referee form?

Thanks again.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Should be okay.

ibnadam

Post by ibnadam » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:30 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 pm
Should be okay.
Thanks for your help :)

ibnadam

Post by ibnadam » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:47 am

Hi again.

We've submitted the application last week and have got a UKVCAS appointment in two weeks time.

We've received a letter from UKVI today saying that they've received and are considering the application. We're confused by the message as we haven't had the UKVCAS appointment yet, and also haven't uploaded the documents yet (was planning on doing that at some point anyway).

Am I correct in assuming this is just an automated email and the application will only be actually considered after the UKVCAS appointment?

Thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:54 pm

It is a standard generic auto email. It is normal. Attend your UKVCAS appointment as scheduled.