ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Dreams101
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Dreams101 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 pm

raij wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:41 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:30 pm
After nearly 10 months my citizenship ceremony invitation finally arrived today!

Timeline: applied in February 2020, approved in March 2020, citizenship ceremony invitation dated 23 December 2020 arrived on 13 January 2021.

I had to submit several complaints to the Home Office and involve my MP as I didn't get any case-specific response via the standard Home Office support channels.

Westminster council has been extremely helpful and responsive. They conduct private virtual ceremonies during the lockdown at the cost of 10 pounds for the certificate postage fee.
Yayyy well done lovely ! mine turned up today too xx
Congratulations to you both, @raij and nnn15. It must be such a relief after the long wait. Very happy for you. Please keep us posted on your ceremonies.
I on the other hand haven't received anything yet. Last time I heard from the HO was 30 Nov when they said the following:

I am upholding your complaint. Unfortunately, due to an administrative error, the relevant paperwork was not generated and despatched.
I am pleased to confirm that this error has now been rectified and your caseworker has contacted you today to advise that we will write to you when we have despatched your certificate to your Local Authority. In that letter we will also provide details for you to then contact your Local Authority to book a ceremony. I regret that I am unable to provide an exact timescale for completion.

I haven't heard anything since then. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 pm

Jefymum wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:57 pm
Welcome. Please let us know the earliest dates offered. This will help others also. Thank you.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

MLep
Newly Registered

Post by MLep » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:17 pm

Today was a great day, I finally received my HO invitation letter for my citizenship ceremony in the mail. I tried to book it online at RBKC for a private ceremony (virtual) but it said they did not have any appointments available and to reach out to them by phone. I called and a very nice lady booked me for a public ceremony (free) on 19/1/2021. This saved me £200 (cost for virtual). Here is my timeline:
Applied online 14/09/2020
Biometrics 05/10/2020
HO approval email 30/10/2020
HO Ceremony Invitation letter 13/01/2021 dated 19/12/2020
Ceremony booked for 19/01/2021

Good luck to everyone! I will update again after my ceremony next week. 😊

aswadi
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by aswadi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:22 pm

Dreams101 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 pm
raij wrote:
nnn15 wrote:
After nearly 10 months my citizenship ceremony invitation finally arrived today!

Timeline: applied in February 2020, approved in March 2020, citizenship ceremony invitation dated 23 December 2020 arrived on 13 January 2021.

I had to submit several complaints to the Home Office and involve my MP as I didn't get any case-specific response via the standard Home Office support channels.

Westminster council has been extremely helpful and responsive. They conduct private virtual ceremonies during the lockdown at the cost of 10 pounds for the certificate postage fee.
Congratulations to you both, @raij and nnn15. It must be such a relief after the long wait. Very happy for you. Please keep us posted on your ceremonies.
I on the other hand haven't received anything yet. Last time I heard from the HO was 30 Nov when they said the following:

I am upholding your complaint. Unfortunately, due to an administrative error, the relevant paperwork was not generated and despatched.
I am pleased to confirm that this error has now been rectified and your caseworker has contacted you today to advise that we will write to you when we have despatched your certificate to your Local Authority. In that letter we will also provide details for you to then contact your Local Authority to book a ceremony. I regret that I am unable to provide an exact timescale for completion.

I would just advise you to complain again as per their website: "...if you believe your complaint has not been dealt with properly. You should start by contacting us again and asking for your complaint to be passed on to a more senior member of staff."

aswadi
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by aswadi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:22 pm

Dreams101 wrote:
raij wrote:
nnn15 wrote:

I would just advise you to complain again as per their website: "...if you believe your complaint has not been dealt with properly. You should start by contacting us again and asking for your complaint to be passed on to a more senior member of staff."

aswadi
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by aswadi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 pm

aswadi wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 am
alexdreame wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:26 am
westminster1213 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:10 am
westminster1213 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:52 pm
Hi,

Which link are you checking if the council has your certificate?

Thanks
i meant for westminster council
Hey, Westminster City Council used to have the option to book ceremony online using the reference number but it is now removed from their website. Since they moved to virtual ceremonies only they want you to get in touch via email once you have received the letter and book a ceremony. I have emailed them today to check if they have received my certificate on registeroffice@westminster.gov.uk. I was approved on the 19th of October. Also good to know is that according to their website, you will need to be physically present within the UK in order to take part in a virtual citizenship ceremony. Now, I find this very frustrating because unfortunately I am stuck abroad and unable to return to the UK at the moment because of lockdown 3.0. I am not sure how and If they check, but don't think it's worth the risk.
Here is the link: https://registrars.westminster.gov.uk/A ... ignup.aspx

Could be that they are currently not "updating" that though and checking there is pointless.
I just tried to use the online booking tool for the 3rd time today and my records were now located meaning Westminster has my certificate. Original approval date was 9 October.

Invitation is still outstanding (I recently changed address which I notified the home office of, have royal mail redirect on the old address in place, and have spoken to the new tenants). Hopefully I will get my hands on it.

westminster1213
Newly Registered

Post by westminster1213 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:58 pm

aswadi wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 pm
aswadi wrote:
alexdreame wrote:
westminster1213 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:10 am

i meant for westminster council
Hey, Westminster City Council used to have the option to book ceremony online using the reference number but it is now removed from their website. Since they moved to virtual ceremonies only they want you to get in touch via email once you have received the letter and book a ceremony. I have emailed them today to check if they have received my certificate on registeroffice@westminster.gov.uk. I was approved on the 19th of October. Also good to know is that according to their website, you will need to be physically present within the UK in order to take part in a virtual citizenship ceremony. Now, I find this very frustrating because unfortunately I am stuck abroad and unable to return to the UK at the moment because of lockdown 3.0. I am not sure how and If they check, but don't think it's worth the risk.

Could be that they are currently not "updating" that though and checking there is pointless.
I just tried to use the online booking tool for the 3rd time today and my records were now located meaning Westminster has my certificate. Original approval date was 9 October.

Invitation is still outstanding (I recently changed address which I notified the home office of, have royal mail redirect on the old address in place, and have spoken to the new tenants). Hopefully I will get my hands on it.
Did you use the home office approval letter reference number?

aswadi
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by aswadi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:03 pm

westminster1213 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:58 pm
aswadi wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 pm
aswadi wrote:
alexdreame wrote:

Did you use the home office approval letter reference number?
Yes the case ID. Mine started with 02 and then 7 further digits.

aswadi
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by aswadi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Can anyone who has received the invitation via mail confirm whether the letter/envelope says something like "Do not redirect"?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm

aswadi wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:06 pm
Can anyone who has received the invitation via mail confirm whether the letter/envelope says something like "Do not redirect"?
Official mail is usually not redirected.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

aswadi
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by aswadi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:08 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm
aswadi wrote:
Official mail is usually not redirected.
I understand this but how can they tell it is official? If just a brown unmarked envelope with name and address I would think it gets redirected.

LNDwaiting
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by LNDwaiting » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:57 pm
qwisnia wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm
Is it only me or HO stopped responding to emails, I've used those and did not here anything back form them:
Not even ack, it's almost like I've been added to a spam list :(
I sent a round of emails to these addresses when 2021 started. I was approved in March 2020 and there are still no signs of my certificate. I haven't got any replies from any of these addresses.
The complaint I submitted at the HO website was upheld and they said they would "endeavour to print and despatch the paperwork as soon as possible", but also said they cannot tell when they can do so. So I guess the only thing I can do is to remind them about my still unprinted paperwork.
Hi nnn15,

My case is similar to yours. Approved in March 2020. Since August I have been writing and complaining, MP is involved. I also wrote to Kevin Foster, minister of immigration. His office replied on Dec saying 'I will receive it very soon'. Its been more than a month now.

I received a reply to my complaint saying ''I am upholding your complaint and I apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay that has affected your application. It may be helpful if I explain that due to a technical error, your ceremony invitation letter has not yet been issued to you.
It is not possible to confirm when your certificate will be despatched to you. However, we will expedite issuing your certificate and ceremony invite letter''

Honestly, I don't trust them and I don't bother anymore. Have stopped thinking about my ceremony, It is very stressful.

Jefymum

Post by Jefymum » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:51 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Jefymum wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:57 pm
Welcome. Please let us know the earliest dates offered. This will help others also. Thank you.
I sure will many thanks again

tier1212
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by tier1212 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:25 pm

raij wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:11 pm
Omyousif wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:07 pm
Hello all
This from cardiff council when am asked them about situation:
Virtual ceremonies are not something we are currently offering, we will review the situation again following the next welsh government announcement at the end of the month.
Any one from cardiff still waiting.
Hi guy's
I m with Cardiff council as well
I got same answer
We are so unlucky as all other councils are doing virtuall ceremonies but Cardiff council is just stop everything
Plz update guys if you have any news for Cardiff council
Thanks

i am with cardiff too , thats what they said to me too

tier1212
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by tier1212 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:27 pm

tier1212 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:25 pm
raij wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:11 pm
Omyousif wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:07 pm
Hello all
This from cardiff council when am asked them about situation:
Virtual ceremonies are not something we are currently offering, we will review the situation again following the next welsh government announcement at the end of the month.
Any one from cardiff still waiting.
Hi guy's
I got same answer
We are so unlucky as all other councils are doing virtuall ceremonies but Cardiff council is just stop everything
Thanks

i am with cardiff too , thats what they said to me too

Hi guy's
I got same answer
Thanks

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:39 pm

LNDwaiting wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:57 pm
qwisnia wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm
Is it only me or HO stopped responding to emails, I've used those and did not here anything back form them:
Not even ack, it's almost like I've been added to a spam list :(
I sent a round of emails to these addresses when 2021 started. I was approved in March 2020 and there are still no signs of my certificate. I haven't got any replies from any of these addresses.
The complaint I submitted at the HO website was upheld and they said they would "endeavour to print and despatch the paperwork as soon as possible", but also said they cannot tell when they can do so. So I guess the only thing I can do is to remind them about my still unprinted paperwork.
Hi nnn15,

My case is similar to yours. Approved in March 2020. Since August I have been writing and complaining, MP is involved. I also wrote to Kevin Foster, minister of immigration. His office replied on Dec saying 'I will receive it very soon'. Its been more than a month now.

I received a reply to my complaint saying ''I am upholding your complaint and I apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay that has affected your application. It may be helpful if I explain that due to a technical error, your ceremony invitation letter has not yet been issued to you.
It is not possible to confirm when your certificate will be despatched to you. However, we will expedite issuing your certificate and ceremony invite letter''

Honestly, I don't trust them and I don't bother anymore. Have stopped thinking about my ceremony, It is very stressful.
Did your MP ever get a response? I even spoke to a lawyer I know about what I can do. The advice was - apparently going via the MP is the most powerful way as the Home Office is obliged to respond to the MPs.

In my case the Home Office didn't reply to the MP for over 2 months. Apparently there is an MP hotline, and when the MP called, the HO said they had sent the documents (which they actually didn't do). After this mistake has been highlighted to the HO, they said they were working on my case as an urgent matter. They also quoted a "technical problem". So after the HO confirmed they were treating it as an urgent matter, it took 5 weeks to receive a letter.

Another thing you can do is submit an SAR request (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration). You can get a copy of the data and caseworker notes, probably it can shed some light on the reasons for the delay.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:39 pm

raij wrote:
nnn15 wrote:

Congratulations! Very happy for you! Hopefully we'll get our passports soon :)

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:43 pm

Dreams101 wrote:
raij wrote:
nnn15 wrote:

If you caseworker doesn't reply, you can try asking the CT<X>Enquiries mailbox. Probably they won't reply either though.
You can submit an SAR request (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration). This will allow you to get all the information about your case, including the caseworker notes and some internal communications. It's free, but takes a month.

I was waiting for over a month after the HO acknowledged the issue with printing my paperwork and said they were working on fixing it. I emailed citizenship support and other emails, they haven't replied, but I received a letter today. So hopefully your letter is on the way.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:46 pm

aswadi wrote:
It doesn't say "Do not redirect". On the back of the envelope it says "If undelivered return to: Home Office" and then the HO address in Liverpool.

Dreams101
Newly Registered

Post by Dreams101 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:53 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:43 pm

If you caseworker doesn't reply, you can try asking the CT<X>Enquiries mailbox. Probably they won't reply either though.
You can submit an SAR request (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration). This will allow you to get all the information about your case, including the caseworker notes and some internal communications. It's free, but takes a month.

I was waiting for over a month after the HO acknowledged the issue with printing my paperwork and said they were working on fixing it. I emailed citizenship support and other emails, they haven't replied, but I received a letter today. So hopefully your letter is on the way.

Thank you. I did send an email today. If I don't get a reply soon, I will involve my MP.

But my situation is very similar to yours, so hopefully mine is on the way now as you said.

Dreams101
Newly Registered

Post by Dreams101 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:02 pm

aswadi wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:22 pm

Thank you. I was actually considering doing that as well.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:18 pm

Dreams101 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:02 pm
aswadi wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:22 pm

Thank you. I was actually considering doing that as well.
Another option I was thinking of (but didn't end up doing that) is filing a complaint to the Ombudsman. If the HO complaints procedure didn't resolve the issue, one can take it further to the Ombudsman. I don't know how efficient it is and whether actually they could help resolve the issue.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:19 pm

Dreams101 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:53 pm
nnn15 wrote:

Thank you. I did send an email today. If I don't get a reply soon, I will involve my MP.

But my situation is very similar to yours, so hopefully mine is on the way now as you said.
Apparently they did have some "technical problem" or an "administrative error" that they acknowledged in December and have stated to be rectified now. I hope it is rectified for all the affected applications, in that case your certificate might have already been printed.

Dreams101
Newly Registered

Post by Dreams101 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:27 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:19 pm
Dreams101 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:53 pm
nnn15 wrote:

Apparently they did have some "technical problem" or an "administrative error" that they acknowledged in December and have stated to be rectified now. I hope it is rectified for all the affected applications, in that case your certificate might have already been printed.
Thanks. I hope so too. Let's see what's gonna happen until the end of this week.

Kay100
Nigeria

Post by Kay100 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:28 pm

Hi all

I think I spoke to soon. I got home today from work and saw my citizenship letter. It is similar to the email I received back in Oct but advising what I should do next.

I tried to book it online straight away but it won’t let me because the council couldn't find my details. I will ring them tomorrow to find out.

We are finally 2 steps closer to the BP.

Thank you all