ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

pseudonymmed
Newly Registered
Canada

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by pseudonymmed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 am

I'm in Southwark, London and I was supposed to have my ceremony on the 30th. Yesterday I got a call and had my ceremony brought forward to tomorrow - they were trying to do smaller ceremonies and get as many done as possible (anticipating there being a shut down in near future). Now I get a call today and they say that Home Office have ordered all citizenship ceremonies cancelled. They say they'll let us know once they know what the plan is for the HO.

This is so frustrating, I was so excited it was still happening and I could apply for a passport sooner.. now I have no idea when I'll ever actually get it. It's just so frustrating that they aren't even forcing pubs to shut and yet they're shutting such an important service as this?

Anybody else in a similar situation?

ana8715
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by ana8715 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:05 pm

Hi There

Yes, same boat!
I was due to have my ceremony on 1st April in Wandsworth but got an email yesterday saying it was cancelled.

Seems like the HO advised every council yesterday then!

I emailed my council re having to attend within three months after the approval letter and they were very understanding but not able to provide more info. They said they are under the impression that the HO will either waive the requirement or come up with alternative arrangements for ceremonies.

Guess we'll have to wait until the HO give the councils more guidance :?

Ana

starlin
Taiwan

Post by starlin » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Hi there,

Same here!

I just received the Home Office citizenship invitation letter today then called my local council, Islington in London. They told me that it's been postponed until June, I should get a letter soon.

But if I can't have my ceremony within three months since I got the letter dated 11 March 2020, that means 11 June 2020, if I missed the deadline due to coronavirus, I need to call the Home Office, they can't give me any further information. :cry: I am worried!

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:50 pm

starlin wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm
Hi there,

Same here!

I just received the Home Office citizenship invitation letter today then called my local council, Islington in London. They told me that it's been postponed until June, I should get a letter soon.

But if I can't have my ceremony within three months since I got the letter dated 11 March 2020, that means 11 June 2020, if I missed the deadline due to coronavirus, I need to call the Home Office, they can't give me any further information. :cry: I am worried!
The Home Office is aware of this and I believe there will be an extension in this instance.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

starlin
Taiwan

Post by starlin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:09 am

Hi,

I got the letter, it seems like I will not get any ceremony date in this difficult time. Does anyone know how to contact the Home office to ask an extension? I need to get their respond in 21 days, the beginning of April from my another citizenship invitation letter date.
letter.jpg
letter.jpg (318.07 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Hope everyone stays safe!

alterhase58
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:42 am

Under the current circumstances with a wide shut down instruction from the government I would expect that this is taken into consideration by the Home Office - it's out of your control. And 100s of applicants will be effected by this.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice - they will be ignored

starlin
Taiwan

Post by starlin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 am

Hi, I think so, I can't do anything at this point.

I have emailed my council, and they are very kind to send me this reply.

Hi xxxx,

Please email Citizenship Support Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk if you wish to contact them. Until further notice we will not be able to hold any ceremonies at the Town Hall and we are focusing on death registrations.

Many Thanks,

xxx

Deputy Superintendent Registrar

Islington & London City Register Office

And even sent me second reply.

"Forgot to say, we will contact you when we have more information."

I am much calm now after receiving these emails. I hope everyone stays home and stays safe and we can soon get to the point that we can go on our normal life! :)

Horaceous
Newly Registered
Mood:
Romania

Post by Horaceous » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:31 pm

Same here!

I was supposed to have it on the 1st of April. I'm sure they'll take coronavirus in consideration but I've emailed public enquiries. I'll email now Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk as well as that's probably a better address to use.

Stay safe all,

H