ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship-English requirement(qualified ILR after oct 13)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dv8
Newly Registered

Citizenship-English requirement(qualified ILR after oct 13)

Post by dv8 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:52 pm

Hello all,

I am applying for citizenship in May 2015 after completing one year of ILR which was granted in May 2014.

My questions is that, do I need to prove my english language skills by taking the ESOL test or I have already done so by:

-"✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013 (copied from Form AN)

I have tried to search a similar post but couldn't find it. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Last edited by dv8 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akhurshid

Re: Citizenship-English requirement(qualified ILR after oct

Post by akhurshid » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:49 pm

dv8 wrote:Hello all,

I am applying for citizenship in May 2015 after completing one year of ILR which was granted in May 2014.

My questions is that, do I need to prove my english language skills by taking the ESOL test or I have already done so by:

-"✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013 (copied from Form AN)

I have tried to search a similar post but couldn't find it. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Thanks a lot in advance.
If you made ILR application after 28th of Oct 2013 then you must have met KoLL already. J

dv8
Newly Registered

Post by dv8 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:40 pm

akhurshid wrote:

Thanks a lot in advance.
If you made ILR application after 28th of Oct 2013 then you must have met KoLL already. J
Thanks AKhurshid.Thats good to know.
Yes, I got my ILR in May 2014 but did not have to prove my English language skills. I have only taken the Life in the UK test and that is it.

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:46 pm

dv8 wrote:
akhurshid wrote:

Thanks a lot in advance.
Thanks AKhurshid.Thats good to know.
Yes, I got my ILR in May 2014 but did not have to prove my English language skills. I have only taken the Life in the UK test and that is it.
When exactly did you make your ILR application?

It sounds like you applied for ILR before 28th of OCT 2013. It's not the date ILR was granted, its the date when you applied for ILR.

If you haven't proved english requirement in ILR, it means you applied under old rules and you have to meet english requirements for your citizenship.

dv8
Newly Registered

Post by dv8 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:56 pm

I applied for ILR and was granted the ILR on the same day at Croydon in May 2014.
So, do you think I still have to take the English language test?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:10 pm

What is your nationality? Some countries are exempt from the English requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dv8
Newly Registered

Post by dv8 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:23 pm

I am from India.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:15 pm

What did you use to satisfy the English requirement (this is different to LIUK) when you applied for ILR in May 2014?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dv8
Newly Registered

Post by dv8 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:23 pm

CR001 wrote:What did you use to satisfy the English requirement (this is different to LIUK) when you applied for ILR in May 2014?
I ticked the box which said that I have proven my english language skills in my original Tier 1 application

dv8
Newly Registered

Post by dv8 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Can I just ignore the language requirement as I have definitely fulfilled this following requirement in the AN form?
✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:56 pm

You will need to submit some sort of proof for citizenship as well as your LIUK pass certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

dv8
Newly Registered

Post by dv8 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:23 pm

CR001 wrote:You will need to submit some sort of proof for citizenship as well as your LIUK pass certificate.
Yes, the LIUK pass certificate is required but according to Guide AN and Form AN the there is no proof required if you tick the :
✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013
Is it a good idea to call the Home Office with this query?

dv8
Newly Registered

Post by dv8 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:50 pm

I called the HO and they said I dont need to provide any proof of language if I tick the 'qualified on or after Oct 2013 box

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:43 am

dv8 wrote:I called the HO and they said I dont need to provide any proof of language if I tick the 'qualified on or after Oct 2013 box
That is only the case if you have actually provided the proof before.
What proof did you provide with your TIER 1 application? How did you meet the language requirements then?

toby303
Newly Registered

Post by toby303 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:08 am

Hi there,

Once you have provided evidence of knowledge of language and life in the UK at ILR stage, you would not need to provide any further proof at Citizenship stage as the information provided earlier on will be relied upon, better still, follow the requirement on AN form and just provide the evidences you have used previously during your application for ILR, that includes your life in the UK Test result/ceritifacte and the English certificate used at the time, irrespectivce or regardless of its expiry.

I think this suffices for your query.

All the best!

dv8
Newly Registered

Post by dv8 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:37 pm

akhurshid wrote:
dv8 wrote:I called the HO and they said I dont need to provide any proof of language if I tick the 'qualified on or after Oct 2013 box
That is only the case if you have actually provided the proof before.
What proof did you provide with your TIER 1 application? How did you meet the language requirements then?

I did not provide any proof for my english language requirement. I only ticked the box which says english language requirement met in previous application. They may have used my degree as proof but I did'nt provide any additional certificate from NARIC or certificate from the University.

dv8
Newly Registered

Post by dv8 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:40 pm

toby303 wrote:Hi there,

Once you have provided evidence of knowledge of language and life in the UK at ILR stage, you would not need to provide any further proof at Citizenship stage as the information provided earlier on will be relied upon, better still, follow the requirement on AN form and just provide the evidences you have used previously during your application for ILR, that includes your life in the UK Test result/ceritifacte and the English certificate used at the time, irrespectivce or regardless of its expiry.

All the best!
Thanks for the advice but I did'nt provide any english language certificate as mentioned in my post above. Will they check for the documentary evidence of the english language test or because I have applied and have been granted ILR after OCT 14 they will not need any proof at this stage.

dv8
Newly Registered

Post by dv8 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:40 pm

toby303 wrote:Hi there,

All the best!
Thanks for the advice but I did'nt provide any english language certificate as mentioned in my post above. Will they check for the documentary evidence of the english language test or because I have applied and have been granted ILR after OCT 14 they will not need any proof at this stage.

John28058980
Newly Registered

Post by John28058980 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi there,

Can anyone please clarify on dv8's last question. Moderators, can you please assist.

I have a similar situation to dv8 - but I do have and could rely on evidence previously submitted for my applications up to ILR. (degree and letter from university confirming degree was presented in English, bear in mind that I'm NOT from a majority English speaking country.)

Now the problem is: Koll Appendix, which the Home Office use for their staff guidance states I can use the above again in addition to the Life in the UK test, but I must have earned 10 points for the English language if I want to use the PBS calculator instead of the NARIC option. See page 32 here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _0_EXT.pdf

My degree is on the PBS calculator, but I don't get 10 points for English probably because I'm not from a majority English speaking country.

BUT do I even have to proof the above again, as my ILR application was submitted in Nov. 2013, after the date that comes up on the following citizenship application point: (point 1.22)
" I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013", although I'm not sure if this date refers to your ILR/settlement application (19 November 2013) or the date I did the LitUK test, which annoyingly was on 10 October 2013. For the ILR (version 10/2013), I did not provide a qualification from the SELT list or ESOL qualification - I just ticked "A degree taught or researched in English" and took my older proof documents mentioned above with. Whether they took these proof documents into consideration or not, I won't be able to say, but I got my ILR 90 minutes later. Or an oversight? Trying to understand as I want to leverage from that if possible.

I think the unclear guidance stems from the above language requirements having been in (stricter) transition at that time, when this guidance was written.

Many thanks for your soonest replies and advice. I wish to submit my application soon! :-) Anticipating stricter regulations soon if you follow the immigration news.

Regards.

familysweetmemory
Newly Registered

Post by familysweetmemory » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 pm

dv8 wrote:
Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:23 pm
CR001 wrote:You will need to submit some sort of proof for citizenship as well as your LIUK pass certificate.
Yes, the LIUK pass certificate is required but according to Guide AN and Form AN the there is no proof required if you tick the :
Dv8 - did you get this answer?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 pm

familysweetmemory wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 pm
dv8 wrote:
Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:23 pm
Dv8 - did you get this answer?
Kindly refrain from digging up topics that are more than 2.5 years old.
Char (CR001 not Casa)