ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for Newborn

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

greenhorntechie
Newly Registered
India

Citizenship for Newborn

Post by greenhorntechie » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:28 am

Hi,

My wife and I are currently on ILR and my naturalisation application is under progress. My wife is currently in India as we are expecting our second child in a couple of weeks time.

My question is, can I apply for British Passport directly for my baby in India? Can anyone please point me to relevant information?

The reason I am asking is because, on the link - [Apply for citizenship if you have indefinite leave to remain or ‘settled status’: Apply for your children - GOV.UK](https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... r-children), the following paragraph has been mentioned:
Apply for your children
You must apply separately for your children.
You can apply to ‘register’ your child for citizenship if they were born either:
* outside of the UK
* inside the UK before you were granted indefinite leave to remain
I wonder what does “register” mean in the above paragraph, given its emphasis? I could not understand whether I am allowed to apply for British citizenship directly without getting Indian passport first. Can anyone please shed some light?

TiA

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship for Newborn

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:09 am

greenhorntechie wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:28 am
can I apply for British Passport directly for my baby in India?
No.

Children born in the UK to ILR parents are automatically British citizens and can apply for British passports directly.

As the child is born in India, the child will need to apply for a family visa to come to the UK. The child will likely be issued an ILE (Indefinite Leave to Enter) as both parents are on ILR.

Once the child is back in the UK, they can then be registered as a British citizen when at least one parent is also applying for British citizenship.

After they receive the registration certificate, they can then apply for a British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

greenhorntechie
Newly Registered
India

Re: Citizenship for Newborn

Post by greenhorntechie » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:15 am

Thanks Simon for the response.