ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship will be revoked - Is it true?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

niceguyinuk

Citizenship will be revoked - Is it true?

Post by niceguyinuk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi friends

I heard UK citizenship will be revoked if the governement wants to. is it true? If they do then the person will become stateless. Is it applicable for the peoples who naturalized as british citizens?

Thanks

f2k
Diamond Member

Re: Citizenship will be revoked - Is it true?

Post by f2k » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:15 pm

niceguyinuk wrote:Hi friends

I heard UK citizenship will be revoked if the governement wants to. is it true? If they do then the person will become stateless. Is it applicable for the peoples who naturalized as british citizens?

Thanks
I would say its probably only applicable to people who are naturalised as British. I am not sure if those born with UK citizenship can have it taken away.
I understand that only circumstances they would revoke it is if they find out that you acquired it fraudulently and if you do something 'prejudicial to the vital itnerest of the UK'. If it renders one stateless then its 'unlikely' to be used. The reason i say unlikely, have a look at the link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8496333.stm

letmec2006

hi

Post by letmec2006 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Sorry to steal the thread, after being naturalised as British but not living in thge UK will it affect the citizenship. Is the any requirement that needs to be followed to maintain citizenship.
Thanks for your answers.

JAJ
Australia

Re: hi

Post by JAJ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:28 am

letmec2006 wrote:Sorry to steal the thread, after being naturalised as British but not living in thge UK will it affect the citizenship. Is the any requirement that needs to be followed to maintain citizenship.
Thanks for your answers.

No.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:34 pm

f2k wrote:
niceguyinuk wrote:
I would say its probably only applicable to people who are naturalised as British. I am not sure if those born with UK citizenship can have it taken away.
I understand that only circumstances they would revoke it is if they find out that you acquired it fraudulently and if you do something 'prejudicial to the vital itnerest of the UK'. If it renders one stateless then its 'unlikely' to be used. The reason i say unlikely, have a look at the link
British citizenship can be revoked if it was obtained by deception. Obviously this is most likely to apply to people who have been naturalised/registered as British, although in the BBC story that you cite, the woman's claim was that she was a British citizen by descent through her father - i.e. she hadn't attempted to go through the naturalisation process.

British citizenship can also be revoked under anti-terrorist legislation that has been introduced over the past six or seven years, and this would apply equally to naturalised British citizens and to those who are British citizens by birth.

niceguyinuk

Post by niceguyinuk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi thanks for the message.. What do u mean by deception? for e.g. when a person got Tier 1 general and submitted false bank statements to get the visa..is it that kind of situation?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:11 pm

f2k wrote: If it renders one stateless then its 'unlikely' to be used. The reason i say unlikely, have a look at the link

Obtaining a British passport on false pretences, or even in good faith if it is issued by mistake, does not make someone a British citizen.