ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

confused about my status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

doudouuu
Newly Registered
Mexico

confused about my status

Post by doudouuu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:33 am

Hello.

Im confused about my status and would like to know if I can apply for Brisish citizenship staight away or do I need to apply first for permanent residence card EEA(PR)?

My question is because I was aready filling the EEA (PR) document and I saw that I have a residence card already. Well this one has an expiry date wich means it is not permanent but I have been linving in the UK for more that 7 years and I have been married to my french husband for more that 6 years now

I have been in the UK with these visas

2012 to 2014 Tier4 student
2014-2016 residence permit spouse leave to remain (When I apply for this permit I didnt know the
residence card family memember existed)
2016-until now residence card family member

my residence card expires in 2021 but because of brexit I want to apply straigh away for naturalisation.... (I dont want to ask the settlement status because I will need to wait one more year in order to apply for naturalisation)

Does anyone can help me to understand if I need first to sent the EEA(PR) application?

Im very confused

thanks

Dulce

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: confused about my status

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:41 am

Holding a document certifying PR or Settled Status is mandatory before you can apply for British citizenship.

You must have held either PR or settled status for 12 months before you can apply to naturalised as British.

Brexit has no effect on British citizenship applications, so unsure why you believe this is an issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

doudouuu
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by doudouuu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:57 am

Thankyou very much for your reply.

I was confuserd because when I was filling the form I found to apply for permanent residence card... I keep reading Im applying for a residence card (which I already have)

In this case...

Is "residence card" one thing and an other different thing a "permanent residence card"

right?

sorry if this sounds silly

and thankyou verymuch again for your reply

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:01 am

Is "residence card" one thing and an other different thing a "permanent residence card"
Yes, they are are two difference things. For PR, the card specifically says the words "Document Certifying Permanent Residence". Note that this application can take up to 6 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

doudouuu
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by doudouuu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Thankyou again for your reply.

I read this before...

"Your permanent residence document will not be valid after 31 December 2020. You can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after that date."

In case I apply right now for permanent residence document, ant it takes the six months period of time... do you think I will still be able to apply for naturalusation with the document I will get even if I apply after december 2020 . I want to apply as soon as I get permanent residence document.

My residence card is valid unti october 2021

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Why do you need to rush to apply for citizenship?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

doudouuu
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by doudouuu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:59 pm

I dont like the constant feeling of pending paperwork...

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:10 pm

doudouuu wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:23 pm
In case I apply right now for permanent residence document, ant it takes the six months period of time... do you think I will still be able to apply for naturalusation with the document I will get even if I apply after december 2020 . I want to apply as soon as I get permanent residence document.
See also Timing of applications once document obtained.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:21 pm

doudouuu wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:59 pm
I dont like the constant feeling of pending paperwork...
There is no quick route or shortcut it loophole. Trying to rush for silly reasons will result in a refusal and loss of the £1330 fee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Fbiboy2002
Mood:

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:24 pm

You can apply for Settlement Scheme (settled status) first and then if you are married to British citizen you can apply for naturalisation straight after you are granted settled status
If you are not married to British citizen you will have to wait 12 months to be eligible

doudouuu
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by doudouuu » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:10 pm

Yes. Thankyou very much for all your help and patience.

Dulce