Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cryvate
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:25 pm
Netherlands

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by cryvate » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:18 pm

pusched wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:39 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your full details on this. Just to confirm, where you able to keep hold of your passport so that you can travel whilst your application is under consideration?

I noticed on the gov website it says: We will seek to return documents to customers at the end of the appointment, with some exceptions such as travel documents.
They did not take any of my 'travel documents,' i.e. passport or Permanent Residence Card (though that is not really necessary as a travel document. Your mileage may vary though.

bbreddy
Junior Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by bbreddy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:48 pm

Hi All

We are about to submit our biometrics next week.

Can you please let me know the below from your experiences:

1) do we need to carry any passport size photos?
2) do we still need to stick them on the reference pages?
3) do we need to scan and upload the signed reference forms?
4) is there any other document that still needs to be physically posted to the Home Office after the appointment is completed ?
5) will they allow if we are late for the appointment. We have an infant and so may need some flexibility in terms of arrival time

Many thanks

Nerazzuri
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by Nerazzuri » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 am

bbreddy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:48 pm
Hi All

We are about to submit our biometrics next week.

Can you please let me know the below from your experiences:

1) do we need to carry any passport size photos?
2) do we still need to stick them on the reference pages?
3) do we need to scan and upload the signed reference forms?
4) is there any other document that still needs to be physically posted to the Home Office after the appointment is completed ?
5) will they allow if we are late for the appointment. We have an infant and so may need some flexibility in terms of arrival time

Many thanks
1. No, just the two already glued to the 2 reference forms.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. No.
5. Down to the discretion of the centre. If it's just a few minutes late, I'd be shocked if there was an issue. If you want reassurance, consider contacting them.

jgreen6123
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 pm
Christmas Island

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by jgreen6123 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Nerazzuri wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 am
bbreddy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:48 pm
4) is there any other document that still needs to be physically posted to the Home Office after the appointment is completed ?
4. No.
Just to clarify, I believe the reference forms don't need to be posted to the Home Office if you apply via UKVCAS. All you have to do is to upload the forms. You don't need to send ANYTHING by post.

pusched
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:05 am
Portugal

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by pusched » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:31 pm

cryvate wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:18 pm
pusched wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:39 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your full details on this. Just to confirm, where you able to keep hold of your passport so that you can travel whilst your application is under consideration?

I noticed on the gov website it says: We will seek to return documents to customers at the end of the appointment, with some exceptions such as travel documents.
They did not take any of my 'travel documents,' i.e. passport or Permanent Residence Card (though that is not really necessary as a travel document. Your mileage may vary though.
Thank you. My Non-EU partner travels with me without visa to Europe a fair bit so the Residence Card kind works as a travel document for us alongside the passport.

Nerazzuri
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by Nerazzuri » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:16 am

pusched wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:39 pm
cryvate wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:30 pm
I went to my appointment with UKVCAS at the Cambridge service point. It is tucked away on the top floor with most of the privacy being provided by banners. After finding the entrance to this little alcove, there was no wait and I was immediately seen to:
  1. I was asked for my passport and appointment confirmation
  2. My passport and appointment confirmation were scanned
  3. My passport was checked versus some information on their screen
  4. I was asked to do my biometrics, which were in the 'back' of this alcove:
    1. Scan QR code
    2. Scan passport
    3. Photograph taken
    4. Left/right fingers taken
    5. Left/right thumb taken
    6. Right/left fingers taken
    7. Right/left thumb taken
    8. Signature taken
    (Not sure of left and right order.)
  5. All passport pages that were not empty were scanned
  6. They said they could see I had uploaded documents and asked whether I wanted to upload anything more (no)
  7. My finger prints did not go through properly, so I had to do all biometrics again
  8. They checked everything they had acquired: scans of passport, photograph, fingerprints and signature on their computer
  9. They asked again whether I wanted to add something (no)
  10. They then confirmed with me they could submit with immediate effect (yes)
I applied as EEA citizen/with PR. So it seems:
  • Seems to be running smoothly: I arrived early and there was no-one before me, the whole thing took about 10 minutes
  • Print your appointment confirmation as it is a big QR code and much easier than using your phone
  • Original documents were not checked, except for passport (and BRP, if you have one?)
  • Fingerprints: make sure to keep your fingers/thumbs horizontal to get a good result
  • Signature: they want a pretty big one
  • No proof of address needed
I would still suggest bringing proof of address and your original documents as one swallow does not a summer make.
Hi,

Thanks for your full details on this. Just to confirm, where you able to keep hold of your passport so that you can travel whilst your application is under consideration?

I noticed on the gov website it says: We will seek to return documents to customers at the end of the appointment, with some exceptions such as travel documents.
If you use UKVCAS for your naturalisation application, all your originals are returned to you during the application. They only scan the documents and attach it on the UKVCAS system, assuming that you’ve not already uploaded the documents to the UKVCAS system ahead of the appointment. Hence, you will be able to travel freely whilst your application is being considered, since you’d have your passport and BRP card.

eduleal
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by eduleal » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:11 pm

Very worried that there are almost zero reports of people applying through this method having received a response. Before this service, it seemed there was an average of 6 weeks. I appreciate the holidays might've impacted this, but having read only a single case from November being approved seems like it was a bad decision to go through this service.

Anyone had their decisions yet and not mentioned in the timeline threads?

Cheers

User avatar
makky86
Diamond Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:41 pm
Mood:

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by makky86 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm

eduleal wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:11 pm
Very worried that there are almost zero reports of people applying through this method having received a response. Before this service, it seemed there was an average of 6 weeks. I appreciate the holidays might've impacted this, but having read only a single case from November being approved seems like it was a bad decision to go through this service.

Anyone had their decisions yet and not mentioned in the timeline threads?

Cheers
There is a huge backlog it seems for this service. They should have introduced after new YEAR. It looks like it will take 6 months+ using UKVCAS
II Youths a stuff neve endures II

Konsog
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by Konsog » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:51 pm

makky86 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm
There is a huge backlog it seems for this service. They should have introduced after new YEAR. It looks like it will take 6 months+ using UKVCAS
How do you know? And how can there be such a huge backlog given that the service was only introduced a couple of months ago?

jgreen6123
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 pm
Christmas Island

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by jgreen6123 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 pm

makky86 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm
eduleal wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:11 pm
Very worried that there are almost zero reports of people applying through this method having received a response. Before this service, it seemed there was an average of 6 weeks. I appreciate the holidays might've impacted this, but having read only a single case from November being approved seems like it was a bad decision to go through this service.

Anyone had their decisions yet and not mentioned in the timeline threads?

Cheers
There is a huge backlog it seems for this service. They should have introduced after new YEAR. It looks like it will take 6 months+ using UKVCAS
You like scaremongering, don't you? Why don't you just say that the HO will dispose of all UKVCAS application by rejecting them. Surely, that would scare more people.

User avatar
makky86
Diamond Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:41 pm
Mood:

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by makky86 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:22 pm

jgreen6123 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 pm
makky86 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm
eduleal wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:11 pm
Very worried that there are almost zero reports of people applying through this method having received a response. Before this service, it seemed there was an average of 6 weeks. I appreciate the holidays might've impacted this, but having read only a single case from November being approved seems like it was a bad decision to go through this service.

Anyone had their decisions yet and not mentioned in the timeline threads?

Cheers
There is a huge backlog it seems for this service. They should have introduced after new YEAR. It looks like it will take 6 months+ using UKVCAS
You like scaremongering, don't you? Why don't you just say that the HO will dispose of all UKVCAS application by rejecting them. Surely, that would scare more people.
I think I stated the fact that its quite possible that due to new services being introduced it will add some backlog. When did I mention all the applications will be refused?

Don't just go this negative and be helpful and respectuful.
II Youths a stuff neve endures II

eduleal
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by eduleal » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:36 pm

You said they will take 6+ months - is that based on fact? Where did you hear it?

The mention about rejection was simply to exaggerate the fact that your comments are simply meant to scare other users if they're not based on evidence.

User avatar
makky86
Diamond Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:41 pm
Mood:

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by makky86 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm

eduleal wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:36 pm
You said they will take 6+ months - is that based on fact? Where did you hear it?

The mention about rejection was simply to exaggerate the fact that your comments are simply meant to scare other users if they're not based on evidence.
The normal processing time is about 6 months so nothing to scared about. Its even mentioned in the email.

If people start using some common-sense then things start making sense. Its totally new service and will reuire sometime for them to get in sync. I work in IT and I know how new system can bring disaster in processing times.

So based on that I can say it will take its mentioned time i.e. 6 months.

People need to grow up. I don't understand teh frustration of people of naturalization application process taking longer. You still can work travel etc.
II Youths a stuff neve endures II

jgreen6123
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 pm
Christmas Island

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by jgreen6123 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm

makky86 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm
eduleal wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:36 pm
You said they will take 6+ months - is that based on fact? Where did you hear it?

The mention about rejection was simply to exaggerate the fact that your comments are simply meant to scare other users if they're not based on evidence.
The normal processing time is about 6 months so nothing to scared about. Its even mentioned in the email.

If people start using some common-sense then things start making sense. Its totally new service and will reuire sometime for them to get in sync. I work in IT and I know how new system can bring disaster in processing times.

So based on that I can say it will take its mentioned time i.e. 6 months.

People need to grow up. I don't understand teh frustration of people of naturalization application process taking longer. You still can work travel etc.
I don’t know where you read 6 months. My confirmation says I will hear within 8 weeks after the biometrics appointment. Staff at UKVCAS also said 6-8 weeks.

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 62028
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:22 pm

jgreen6123 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm
I don’t know where you read 6 months. My confirmation says I will hear within 8 weeks after the biometrics appointment. Staff at UKVCAS also said 6-8 weeks.
Clearly stated on HO website.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... ve-applied
When you’ll get a decision
You’ll usually get a decision within 6 months - some applications can take longer.

You’ll get a letter if you need to give more information to help with your application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

User avatar
makky86
Diamond Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:41 pm
Mood:

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by makky86 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:24 pm

jgreen6123 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm
makky86 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm
eduleal wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:36 pm
You said they will take 6+ months - is that based on fact? Where did you hear it?

The mention about rejection was simply to exaggerate the fact that your comments are simply meant to scare other users if they're not based on evidence.
The normal processing time is about 6 months so nothing to scared about. Its even mentioned in the email.

If people start using some common-sense then things start making sense. Its totally new service and will reuire sometime for them to get in sync. I work in IT and I know how new system can bring disaster in processing times.

So based on that I can say it will take its mentioned time i.e. 6 months.

People need to grow up. I don't understand teh frustration of people of naturalization application process taking longer. You still can work travel etc.
I don’t know where you read 6 months. My confirmation says I will hear within 8 weeks after the biometrics appointment. Staff at UKVCAS also said 6-8 weeks.
See my email attached.
sixmonths.png
sixmonths.png (24.63 KiB) Viewed 801 times
II Youths a stuff neve endures II

Nerazzuri
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by Nerazzuri » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:40 pm

The moment you submit the application on the online system, it generates a Documents Checklist document, which if you view, gives you the following information:
“You have chosen the standard service. You must now book and attend an appointment with our commercial partner to provide your documents and your biometrics (fingerprints and facial photograph). You can do this by logging back in to your application via the link in your confirmation email and continuing to our commercial partner's website from there.

You should receive a decision on your application within 8 weeks of your biometrics appointment. We will contact you if it will take longer to process your application.”
However, the confirmation email you receive says;
‘it may take up to six months to make a decision on your case. If we are unable to process your application within six months we will tell you as soon as possible.’
The messaging is unclear, even if technically consistent. It suggests most people get a decision within 8 weeks after their biometrics appointment. The SLA for the service is however 6 months, so even if it take 3 months longer than 8 weeks, it’s still within service level agreements. It can take longer than 6 months for some, and they’ll endeavour to let you know as soon as possible if your case falls in that category.

Konsog
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by Konsog » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:57 pm

My guess is that the real answer for most cases will lie somewhere between those two figures. Even though I don't think anyone can say it will take "6+months to get a decision via UKVCAS", there does seem to be a slower response time, at least for now.

What I'm wondering is if the Home Office would make an annoucement if there really were delays/problems with UKVCAS. Has there every been anything like that?

shaneoh1980
Newly Registered
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:58 pm
New Zealand

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by shaneoh1980 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:05 pm

I completed my application online today. I have a couple of outstanding questions.

1. When uploading my supporting documents to UKVCAS, there isn't a section for my referee declarations. Should these be uploaded too? Or do these only get taken to the appointment?
2. I didn't book any extras over the basic fee. Does this mean I still simply show up with my supporting documents at the agreed time? Sorry if this has been covered this is all a bit confusing.
3. I'd like to maintain a timeonline here (british-citizenship/november-2018-natur ... 80-60.html) but have a practical question - do people add these and then just repeatedly edit them as more information comes in, or wait until its finished and then add the whole thing then?

Thanks.

johnhkg
Member
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 am
Hong Kong

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by johnhkg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if UKVI (and UKVCAS) were to monitor this forum and take note of our concerns.

Post Reply
cron