ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expired Passport and Citizenship Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Newly Registered

Expired Passport and Citizenship Application

Post by 134523452 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi all

Probably you have seen this question many times on the internet before.

I just want to know what is the truth.

Can you or can you not apply for a citizenship (naturalisation) with an expired passport?

The internet is full of information and stories that go both in favour and against applying for naturalisation with an expired passport. Hence the reason for posting this question here.

My specific case:
Got EEA4 last june.
Passport expires at the end of next month.
Not married to the European citizen any more.

Although I am not married to the European citizen any more, looking at the UKBA guidance it seems that the "valid passport" rule will apply on me. Page 14: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ide_an.pdf

You guys can give me a better idea.

I dont have a problem with applying for a new passport. The issue is that Pakistani embassy is saying that all new passports are being delayed. Even the urgent service is taking up to three months.

Thanks in advance :)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:06 pm

A valid passport is not required.

If you check the last page of the application form you can see that a passport is used as evidence of identity, residence (and if your ILR/PR is in the passport - proof of free from immigration control).

If your passport is not valid when applying it can be used as evidence of identity and residence for the period the passport was valid. Any residence period after the passport expired needs to be supported by other means of evidence.

In practice, if your passport expires in May and you apply in June, you would be fine as the HO would not be worried for such a small gap in your residence evidence.

The section on page 14 is not relevant in your case as you have a PR Confirmation already.

nic120
Newly Registered

Post by nic120 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:59 pm

I was advised by NCS that expired passport is fine as long as it's not cancelled, because you have no means of travelling so you don't
need to provide any additional info.

Newly Registered

Post by 134523452 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:33 pm

nic120 wrote:I was advised by NCS that expired passport is fine as long as it's not cancelled, because you have no means of travelling so you don't
Did you have PR or ILR?

nic120
Newly Registered

Post by nic120 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 pm

134523452 wrote:
nic120 wrote:I was advised by NCS that expired passport is fine as long as it's not cancelled, because you have no means of travelling so you don't
Did you have PR or ILR?
I've got ILR

Newly Registered

Post by 134523452 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:54 pm

I have a PR (EEA4). Not sure if that changes anything as ILR and PR come under two completely separate categories.

Last year I used a solicitor for the EEA4 application. He is saying that I need a valid passport for the naturalisation application.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:57 pm

134523452 wrote:I have a PR (EEA4). Not sure if that changes anything as ILR and PR come under two completely separate categories.

Last year I used a solicitor for the EEA4 application. He is saying that I need a valid passport for the naturalisation application.
Your solicitor is wrong. A valid pasport is not required for naturalisation.

(There is no difference between PR and ILR for naturalisation purposes).

If you are able to read and write in English and have a straightforward case (no extensive absences, no questionable fines/court appearances), I don't see a major value in using a solicitor.

Newly Registered

Post by 134523452 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:27 pm

I hired a solicitor last year for EEA4. This year I am going to do the naturlisation application myself.

After reading the replies here and posts on other forums I am pretty confident that I do not need a valid passport for the application.

Thanks all.