ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First UK passport application from Canada

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

inzogbiya

First UK passport application from Canada

Post by inzogbiya » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:35 am

Hello

I wanted to apply for my daughter’s first British passport from Canada.

I’m a British citizen via naturalization and received my naturalization prior to my daughter’s birth (she was born in Canada).

In the online passport application, as part of the supporting documents that I need to provide, it is requesting for grandparent birth certificates for both maternal and paternal parents. Unfortunately I don’t have those; but I also understand it’s not needed in this case since my daughter’s British nationality is based on her being born to a naturalized parent (ie by descent).

Am I ok submitting the passport application without the grandparent details?

I should add that when I applied for my son’s passport (who was also born in Canada) they never requested for grandparent details, however in my son’s case we applied from UK (we travelled to UK on his Canadian passport and applied in country). Which makes me wonder if it’s easier if we travel to UK and apply for the passport in country? It seems HMPO complicates things for first time passport applicants from overseas; although I wanted to avoid this option due to travel and accommodation costs.

Thanks for your help.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: First UK passport application from Canada

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:48 am

You don't need to provide grandparents' details - the form wants to cover all options. Make sure you declare you were naturalised and send in your UK passport and birth certificate. You can explain further in the cover letter if you wish.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

inzogbiya

Post by inzogbiya » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:03 pm

Do I need to send in my UK passport? I thought only provide passport number and provide original naturalization certificate?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:36 pm

Apologies for my lack of clarity - please do what the checklist says, if it only asks for passport details, that is what you have to do.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:31 am

inzogbiya wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:03 pm
Do I need to send in my UK passport? I thought only provide passport number and provide original naturalization certificate?
Not every Brit has a passport, so it's not mandatory that you do. But, you need to show evidence of your citizenship. You can either do that with your British Passport or your Naturalisation cert.

Most people would rather send their passport than their naturalisation cert, as the cert is what makes you British and folks like to hold on to that. Also, it takes longer to get back if things go sideways.

But I guess if you planned to travel, then your passport would make sense to hold on to.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

inzogbiya

Post by inzogbiya » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:43 pm

Is this really the case, can I send my UK passport instead of my naturalization certificate?

I would definitely prefer to send in my passport but I thought a passport is not sufficient. Something along the lines that a passport is merely evidence of citizenship and a naturalization certificate is the proof.

inzogbiya

Post by inzogbiya » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:19 pm

I read the guidance again and it appears a parents British passport is only acceptable if the child was born in UK. If born overseas then the parents naturalization certificate is mandatory. Can someone confirm please?

I’d love to only send my British passport, in order to keep my naturalization certificate safe, but I don’t think it’s possible in my case?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:16 am

inzogbiya wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:19 pm
I read the guidance again and it appears a parents British passport is only acceptable if the child was born in UK. If born overseas then the parents naturalization certificate is mandatory. Can someone confirm please?

I’d love to only send my British passport, in order to keep my naturalization certificate safe, but I don’t think it’s possible in my case?
The rules are not so complicated if you're applying from here in the UK. Not sure what you read or where you read it. But, most kids born abroad don't have the option to travel back to the UK and apply for a passport from within.
proof that your child has British nationality (for example a British registration certificate, parent’s passport details or parent’s birth certificates)
Regardless of what I say or do not say, when you fill in the online form, and the verification has been done by the referee, the HMPO would tell you what documents you need to send.
My guess, Childs' birth certificate, all other passports (Canadian and any other), your passport or evidence of British Citizenship as quoted above.
With your passport, they have access to your history on their database.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!