ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First UK passport from abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eclectic

First UK passport from abroad

Post by eclectic » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:35 pm

Hi Guys,

My wife's citizenship application has been recently approved and she is being invited to a ceremony in Dec..soon after the ceremony date we have pre booked travel plans which means she will bw outside of UK for couple of months. I was wondering if we could apply for her British passport while abroad (from US to be specific). does the process and documents required vary?

I understand that her naturalization certificate and non british passport will be required as evidence but will she need to post her original passport or can it be scanned over considering its an online application?

Please can someone advise?

Many Thanks!

vinny

Re: First UK passport from abroad

Post by vinny » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:49 pm

See also Guidance.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:44 am

Thanks Vinny.

We fly in 4 days after the citizenship ceremony, so options are either 1. to reschedule the ceremony to when we return, 2. get the citizenship and then apply the passport from US before returning or maybe we apply for urgent passport application? is that even an option? can first adult passport after naturalization be made on urgent basis?

any suggestions?

HCJNL

Post by HCJNL » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:22 am

There are no emergency travel documents available in lieu of a first passport.
But an American woman found herself in a similar situation as you recently. She ended up travelling on her US passport, then explaining the situation when she returned to the UK. It worked out fine for her.
Key is having a passport which allows visa-free travel to the UK. Otherwise it will be difficult to board a flight.
british-citizenship/gained-citizenship- ... 20066.html

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:39 am

Thanks mate.

I know we are required to return the ILR card within 5 days but can we return that after returning from our trip and actually use that along with her US passport to return? We will obviously carry her citizenship certificate as well.

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:04 am

Hi Guys,

We have been trying for weeks to contact Kent citizenship service and annoyingly they are not responding to any calls or emails even. We were hoping to reschedule it for when we return from US but it seems that our only option is to attend the ceremony otherwise we risk running out of 3 months time limit.

has anyone else had the same experience with Kent Council? very frustrating, it's like the phone number does not work..never been answered!

underfire222

Post by underfire222 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:13 pm

eclectic wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:04 am
Hi Guys,

We have been trying for weeks to contact Kent citizenship service and annoyingly they are not responding to any calls or emails even. We were hoping to reschedule it for when we return from US but it seems that our only option is to attend the ceremony otherwise we risk running out of 3 months time limit.

has anyone else had the same experience with Kent Council? very frustrating, it's like the phone number does not work..never been answered!
Exactly the same, been trying for more than a week and they don’t answer, did u manage to reach them at all?
It’s extremely annoying they got my name wrong in the ceremony letter and I’m trying to reschedule…