ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First UK Passport with foreign born parents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

First UK Passport with foreign born parents

Post by wellwellwell » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to confirm something before I send my application and wondering if anyone could help?
On or after 1 January 1983
You’ll need your full birth certificate or adoption certificate and either:

- your mother’s or father’s full UK birth certificate, or the Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation, or a British passport belonging to one of your parents that was valid when you were born, or a British passport number for either parent

- evidence of one of your parents’ immigration status in the UK at the time of your birth, for example a foreign passport belonging to one of your parents that was valid when you were born

If you send documents relating to your father, you must also send your parents’ marriage certificate.
I have my mother's Spanish birth certificate and EU passport from when I was born. She was born in Spain and had been living in the UK for 20+ years before I was born (and still living here in the UK.

I am wondering if these two documents are enough, unsure if I need one document from each of the bullet points in the quote above, or just one document from one of them. In which case her passport at the time of my birth should be enough I think?

Thanks for any help, just want to make sure before I send it and getting a bit confused.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Re: First UK Passport with foreign born parents

Post by wellwellwell » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:34 pm

I forgot to mention, I was born here and have lived here my whole life so have a British birth certificate 👍

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Did your parents have ILR or PR at the time of your birth?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:01 pm

My Dad had a resident permit 5 years before I was born and has been living here since then.

I think the same is true of my mum’s father. She has lived in England since she was 5 years old - so my grandfather on my mothers side came here with permission to work.

I qualify for British passport, it’s just a bit tricky getting all the documents together.

I don’t think my mum had any other naturalisation type documents as she came with her parents before age 5 and lived here the rest of her life.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:33 pm

I qualify for British passport, it’s just a bit tricky getting all the documents together.
What is the basis of your statement? Unfortunately you will have to prove the facts (i.e. ILR, etc).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:48 pm

I’m new to all this, can you tell me what ilr and pr stand for?

It the quote in the original post is says what I need to provide, I just wanted to clarify if I needed one from each of the bullet pointed paragraphs or just one from either.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:53 pm

wellwellwell wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:48 pm
I’m new to all this, can you tell me what ilr and pr stand for?

It the quote in the original post is says what I need to provide, I just wanted to clarify if I needed one from each of the bullet pointed paragraphs or just one from either.
ILR = Indefinite Leave to Remain - applied for and issued under the UK immigration rules.

PR = Permanent Residence - automatically attained and issued under the EU regulations.

They are both known as 'settled' status. You need evidence for this for any application you make as when they got either, will determine whether you are British by birth or not. Just being born in the UK is often not enough or automatic citizenship.

In the quoted piece you posted, it is the second bullet point that you need to prove, however just the passport alone is not sufficient, you need the proof of PR or ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Okay thank you, it's starting to make a bit more sense.

I may be able to get a certificate of naturalisation through the national archives.

The information on the passport application is slightly different, it says that I need:
Evidence of one of your parent's claim to British nationality. Please provide one of the following:
- the parent's full birth certificate
- the parent's certificate of registration or naturalisation AND
- if this is your father, his marriage certificate to your mother... etc.

Evidence of one parent's immigration status at the time of your birth. Please provide:
- the parent's passport at the time of your birth AND
- if this is your father, his marriage certificate to your mother... etc.

Again, I'm unsure if I need one from each - I was hoping the passport at the time of my birth would be enough as it states that my mother was a resident of Great Britain when I was born. Is this not sufficient proof of settled status? My mother also has other previous passports all saying she was living in Great Britain, I wonder if this is enough in case I can't get a copy of a certificate from the archives.

Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:12 pm

What is the exact wording stamped in your mother's passports, regarding residence/living in the UK?

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Under the "Residence" heading is written "Gran Bretana" (Great Britain)

I'm not sure if this is relevant but it also says "This passport is valid for all member countries of the European Economic Community".

On the following page of my mother's passport, for her "Children" my details are listed (my DOB and that I was born in GB).

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:44 pm

I also have my mother's birth certificate but not sure if they want that because it is not a British one?

Originally, I thought that her birth certificate + passport at the time of my birth would be sufficient.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 pm

The question was about official stamps or remarks entered into your mother's/father's passport by the Home Office, such as "permanent resident" or "indefinite leave to remain". Or any letters from the Home Office? As was pointed out earlier, unless your mother/father had "settled status", such as ILR or PR, at the time of your birth, then you would not be a British citizen by birth.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Thank you for your patience and apologies for my ignorance, I don’t know the first thing about this stuff.

Which documents would prove my mothers settled status? Are any such documents available for me to order copies of somewhere? I don’t believe my mother has any such documents filed away. (I am trying not to go through my father).

My mother has lived in the Uk for over 50 years, I think that counts as permanent settled status, just wondering what kind of document I can get now to prove this? I have lived here my whole life, surely this qualifies me for a British passport?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:07 pm

wellwellwell wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 pm
Thank you for your patience and apologies for my ignorance, I don’t know the first thing about this stuff.

Which documents would prove my mothers settled status? Are any such documents available for me to order copies of somewhere? I don’t believe my mother has any such documents filed away. (I am trying not to go through my father). It could be anything like a stamp or sticker in a passport, a letter from the Home Office, Residence Card, and such like. Copies of those things won't exist because paper records will have been destroyed by now, except Naturalisation certificates which may still be in the National Archive. Unfortunately the Home Office's stance is that you have to prove these things. Was your father a British Citizen?

My mother has lived in the Uk for over 50 years, I think that counts as permanent settled status, just wondering what kind of document I can get now to prove this? I have lived here my whole life, surely this qualifies me for a British passport? Terms like "settled status", ILR and PR have a specific legal framework behind them. Unfortunately, the Home Office does not normally take into account solely long residence when granting citizenship. Even if one has been in the UK 40 years you have to prove your proficiency in the English language.

You do have an EU passport? In that case you could apply for a "Document Certifying Permanent Residence" DCPR (under EU regulations) for yourself. This would be the basis for a naturalisation application which then leads to a passport. Unless anyone else can suggest an alternative.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:29 pm

Thank-you, I will read through your reply a few times to make sure I am getting it.

My father was born in Spain, came to the UK with a work permit, he was an adult when he arrived.
My mother was here with my grandfather's work permit, she was also born in Spain but came to the UK before the age of 5. (so that's why she doesn't have any work permit type documents I could use).

I found this:
http://workpermit.com/immigration/unite ... ave-remain

Would my parents marriage certificate be of any use here? If i am unable to get a copy of my father's work permit.

Got to make sure I have the correct documents before sending it off, everything else is ready and I would hate for the application to be denied because I didn't understand what I needed to send. I'm so glad I posted here, I almost sent it off with just my mother's passport and birth certificate - that would have been over £100 /gathering documents down the drain!

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Sorry please ignore some of the above.

I'm not completely sure if it was a work permit - but my father definitely had a resident permit, and the resident permit says he could work in the UK.

I'm very confused so forgive me for all the posts. Hopefully I will be able to figure something out!

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:40 pm

I found the below quote on the gov website (https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nat ... itizenship).

I am wondering if I could get british citizenship through the "permanent residence as an European Economica Area (EEA) national - As all my mother's passports are EU ones?

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983
You don’t automatically get British citizenship if you were born in the UK.

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, you’ll be a British citizen if your mother or father was either:

a British citizen when you were born
‘settled’ in the UK when you were born
‘Settled’ means you can stay in the UK without any time restrictions. This includes people who have one of the following:

‘right of abode’
‘indefinite leave to remain’
permanent residence as an European Economic Area (EEA) national

In most cases you’ll be a British citizen if your mother or father was born in the UK or naturalised there at the time of your birth.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:02 am

wellwellwell wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:40 pm
I found the below quote on the gov website (https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nat ... itizenship).

I am wondering if I could get british citizenship through the "permanent residence as an European Economica Area (EEA) national - As all my mother's passports are EU ones?

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983
You don’t automatically get British citizenship if you were born in the UK.

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, you’ll be a British citizen if your mother or father was either:

a British citizen when you were born
‘settled’ in the UK when you were born
‘Settled’ means you can stay in the UK without any time restrictions. This includes people who have one of the following:

‘right of abode’
‘indefinite leave to remain’
permanent residence as an European Economic Area (EEA) national

In most cases you’ll be a British citizen if your mother or father was born in the UK or naturalised there at the time of your birth.
You need evidence that your mother or father held PR or ILR, as in a physical document or stamp/vignette in the passport. Just a passport alone is NOT sufficient, as has already been explained.

PR and ILR =Settled status, but you must have evidence of their settled status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:36 am

Okay thank-you. I am slowly getting it. Must find evidence of settled status through some official document.

Since my mother was under 18 years old, would evidence of settled status of her father (my grandfather) be any relevance? I could be wrong but am assuming if my grandfather was granted 'settled status' it would automatically include his children, so my mother by default?

In the event that I can't get any eligible documents through my mother or father, is there another way I can become a British Citizen to obtain the passport? For instance taking a british citizen test or something?

Thanks to everyone for your help, it's really appreciated and helps a lot.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Okay never mind, I've just seen that there is a British Citizenship test if all else fails,

wow £1,300+ for it!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:19 pm

wellwellwell wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:16 pm
Okay never mind, I've just seen that there is a British Citizenship test if all else fails,

wow £1,300+ for it!
This is not a 'British citizenship test'. It is an application to naturalise or register as British and is also separate to a passport application.

Not sure which form you are looking at as there is more than one.

Form T might be of interest if you are not able to prove your parents were or are settled.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -07-18.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... b-2018.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks everyone, I will keep you updated as to what happens next.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Living in UK with EU Passport after Brexit.

Post by wellwellwell » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I was born in the UK to Spanish born parents, and have lived here my whole life. I have always only had an EU passport which has recently expired.

I am trying to get a British Passport but I can't guarantee that I will get one if I don't find the necessary documents.

Renewing my EU passport should be straight forward, I am just wondering/a bit concerned about where this will leave me after Brexit seeing as the UK will no longer be a part of the EU.

This might be a stupid question but what will this mean for me if I want to go on holiday for instance and only have an EU passport (no British one). Will I be able to come and go from England with an EU passport easily as before?

I don't understand what it will mean if I can only have EU passport, living in a country that is no longer part of the EU.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Living in UK with EU Passport after Brexit.

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:46 pm

You must apply for the new "(pre-)settled status" which should be available from 30 March 2019. This is the new system for EU citizens. Start by reviewing the government web site: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families
How it works at the border is another question - i.e. what you present at the border with your passport, a card or such like?

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Re: Living in UK with EU Passport after Brexit.

Post by wellwellwell » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:13 am

I'm not sure if this will apply to me (I could be wrong) because my family has lived here for 50+ years - my parents must have been granted "settled status" at some point. It's just that I can't personally get the documents proving this at the moment.

I thought that I might be okay by default through my parents, as once a parent is granted settled status, I presume that status would also be passed on to any sons/daughters one might have.

The whole thing seems a bit silly to me give that I was born, raised, live and educated here.