ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form UKF Help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abufishman
Newly Registered
United States of America

Form UKF Help

Post by abufishman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:03 pm

To start off, a little background of my situation. I am a United States of America citizen, and I have always lived in the United States. I was born in the United States prior to 2006. My biological father was a British Citizen, and my mother, American. They never married after I was born. Prior to the policy changes in 2015, I would have not been able to apply for British citizenship because the United States was not my biological fathers domicile county (he had no intention of staying, he was going to college at the time), the U.K. was. The policy changes opened up a route so I could register to become a British citizen through Form UKF. As an American, a few questions have come up while filing out the form and I want to make sure I’m doing it right to avoid delays if possible.

1. Item 1.7 National Insurance Number: I have a Social Security number that I was given at birth. From my research, it is used in the same way a British National Insurance Number. Do I use my Social Security number?

2. Item 1.13(general address question): In the address boxes, the format for the Post Code is different that what we use here in the states. For example 10001, six numbers in a sequence. Would I just fill it in left to right ignoring the blacked out box?

3. Item 2.1-2.5 Good Character Requirement: I work in the United States and always have. Do I use my current employer’s address for 2.4? I have referenced the guide, and I find it to be of no help for this section as I do not understand it entirely “2.1 – 2.5 If you do not pay income tax through PAYE you must demonstrate that you have discharged your obligations towards the HM Revenue & Customs, by attaching a Self Assessment Statement of Account.” How do I go about completing this section as an American citizen living in America?

Thank you for any help! :D

PleasantThebest
South Africa

Re: Form UKF Help

Post by PleasantThebest » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:22 pm

abufishman wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:03 pm
To start off, a little background of my situation. I am a United States of America citizen, and I have always lived in the United States. I was born in the United States prior to 2006. My biological father was a British Citizen, and my mother, American. They never married after I was born. Prior to the policy changes in 2015, I would have not been able to apply for British citizenship because the United States was not my biological fathers domicile county (he had no intention of staying, he was going to college at the time), the U.K. was. The policy changes opened up a route so I could register to become a British citizen through Form UKF. As an American, a few questions have come up while filing out the form and I want to make sure I’m doing it right to avoid delays if possible.

1. Item 1.7 National Insurance Number: I have a Social Security number that I was given at birth. From my research, it is used in the same way a British National Insurance Number. Do I use my Social Security number?

2. Item 1.13(general address question): In the address boxes, the format for the Post Code is different that what we use here in the states. For example 10001, six numbers in a sequence. Would I just fill it in left to right ignoring the blacked out box?

3. Item 2.1-2.5 Good Character Requirement: I work in the United States and always have. Do I use my current employer’s address for 2.4? I have referenced the guide, and I find it to be of no help for this section as I do not understand it entirely “2.1 – 2.5 If you do not pay income tax through PAYE you must demonstrate that you have discharged your obligations towards the HM Revenue & Customs, by attaching a Self Assessment Statement of Account.” How do I go about completing this section as an American citizen living in America?

Thank you for any help! :D
You can apply online. The online application doesn't ask for National Insurance number, nor tax information if you haven't resided/worked in the UK - it asks you this. Your home country's tax information isn't relevant either I don't think. The online application also allows custom postal codes (South African postal codes are also different and I was able to enter it into the website). Hope this helps you :)