Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Help to fill in AN form

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Junior Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:53 pm

Help to fill in AN form

Post by KC8010 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi there

I have a question with reference to my application AN form:

Section 2.4
If you are an EEA National or the family member of an EEA National, complete the following section showing on what basis you are in the UK for the last 6 years to see whether you were excising your treaty rights and acquired PR in the UK


If you are not an EEA National go to section 3

OK so....

I am a family member of an EEA National that has had PR since end Dec 2007 - do I still need to complete the 6 years treaty rights information?

I know it seems silly but first it says do then it says dont....

Also importantly can someone explain this quote to me please:

European Economic Area nationals and Swiss nationals
If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or you are the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status if you have exercised EEA free-movement rights in the UK for a continuous five-year period ending on or after 30 April 2006. You do not need to apply for leave to remain. You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation.

I obtained PR in 2007 - do I still qualify? Also they say the residential qualifying period should not include the time you are exempt from Immigration control, this time should not be counted towards the residential qualifying period - but I have been on PR for 3 years now - I really dont understand.....

Seeing as though I have confirmation of PR in my passport does that mean the above is not relavant to me?

And finally seeing as though I am an EEA family member - do they want the EEA Nationals passport?

Sorry for all the questions - but I just need clarification, if someone knows that can assist or been through a similar issue please do let me know....(promise this will be my last post haha)


Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:06 am

Post by ukpl » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:19 pm

I think you are overcomplicating things.
And your case is simple.
If you re-think it all again, then
- you already have PR so you are free from immigration restrictions
- you hold it for more than 12 months so you can apply for BC
- then, you need to prove you have been permanently living in the UK for the last 5 years (i.e. you have not been abroad for more than specified number of days).

You would have to exercise treaty rights for 5 years (not 6) to get PR automatically. But you already have it in your passport.

Junior Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:53 pm

Post by KC8010 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:16 am

OK thank you very much!

Would I need to show the EEA National's identity, even though I am the applicant but I derieved my PR through being married to him for 5 years and working in the UK?