ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help with referees and documents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Help with referees and documents

Post by danifk123 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Hello,
My husband and I are making an application online. I wanted to ask a few questions I need help with.

1. With regards to referees - do we need to ask them to sign a declaration when filling the application online? where do we get this form because so far we didnt see any links.

2. I did my Life in the UK exam and the English exam with my BRP as identification card. Do I also need to use this as a way to identify myself on the application? I only see an option of passport, travel document, nationality identity card or none. I have added my non-EEA passport, and later on in the application added my BRP details but I just wanted to make sure that's okay so the exams wouldn't be invalid for some reason.

3. In the documents checklist we are both asked to provide proof of identity and nationality and then another section asking for proof of nationality. What is the difference?
I thought this might be passport + BRP but there is a different checklist item for the BRP.

4. Last one! (sorry..) - We are asked to provide Proof of living in the UK for 5 years.
My husband has been self-employed for over 6 years and I have been employed for 3.5 years and then self-employed. Do we just provide tax return calculations? I am asking because the next section asks us to provide "most recent tax year account statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment" so once again I'm afraid it'll be the same document...

Sorry for the many questions- I do want to get it right! I'm just a bit nervous as I'm having to deal with this quickly and in general I'm just a nervous pregnant lady haha :)
THANKS!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Help with referees and documents

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:10 pm

1. You need to complete the details in the referee form which is part of the online form, print it off, glue your respective photos onto it and then send to referee to physically sign and return to you. They are then uploaded to the UKCVAS portal with all your other supporting documents.

2. You need both your passport and BRP card for citizenship. Your exams won't be invalid.

3. It is the same thing. Many different routes apply and have different forms of identity, for example a refugee would not have a passport.

4. If you have obtained ILR through a visa (not the EU citizen route as your post doesn't say), you only need your passports covering 5 years. Self employment proof is separate to this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:25 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:10 pm
1. You need to complete the details in the referee form which is part of the online form, print it off, glue your respective photos onto it and then send to referee to physically sign and return to you. They are then uploaded to the UKCVAS portal with all your other supporting documents.

2. You need both your passport and BRP card for citizenship. Your exams won't be invalid.

3. It is the same thing. Many different routes apply and have different forms of identity, for example a refugee would not have a passport.

4. If you have obtained ILR through a visa (not the EU citizen route as your post doesn't say), you only need your passports covering 5 years. Self employment proof is separate to this.
Thank you so much!

1. Great! thank you.

2. thank you. so to clarify - the identity document is indeed my passport?

3. OK I see now! So basically just the passport.

4. both husband and I have a permanent residence card valid from the end of 2018 based on him being an EU citizen.
As far as I understand he needs to provide the following:
“If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments or other government departments, indicating your presence in the UK during the relevant 3- or 5-year period.”
so that’s probably letters from HMRC but that would be the same as “most recent tax year account statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment” only this would be for 5 years and the latter would only be for 2019-2020 ?

Lastly, AS for myself I have two passports to cover for 5 years, do I need to scan them or take them to the meeting?

I think you are wonderful I checked other threads before posting and I see you are helping many people <3

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:56 pm

Yes.
Correct.
4. both husband and I have a permanent residence card valid from the end of 2018 based on him being an EU citizen.
“If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments or other government departments, indicating your presence in the UK during the relevant 3- or 5-year period.”
so that’s probably letters from HMRC but that would be the same as “most recent tax year account statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment” only this would be for 5 years and the latter would only be for 2019-2020 ?
Yes, your passports in this case are not sufficient. You need to prove residence with 5 years worth of evidence, such as P60s, Self assessments etc.
Lastly, AS for myself I have two passports to cover for 5 years, do I need to scan them or take them to the meeting?
Best to yes.

Feel free to ask any further questions you might have.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:07 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:56 pm
Yes.
Correct.
“If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments or other government departments, indicating your presence in the UK during the relevant 3- or 5-year period.”
Yes, your passports in this case are not sufficient. You need to prove residence with 5 years worth of evidence, such as P60s, Self assessments etc.
Best to yes.

Feel free to ask any further questions you might have.
Thank you so much!

So I just want to get everything in order. We basically need:

1. two referees each to sign the form and our passport photo
2. passports each
3. permanent residence card each (blue document for my husband and BPR for me)4
4. english exam certificate for both
5.Proof of living in the UK - 5 years tax calculation for husband and I.
5. recent self-assessment statement + tax calculation from recent year for each

Anything I've left out?
Thanks again, you are an angel!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:10 pm

They only need to each sign the form, not the photo.
2. passports each
Correct.
Correct. Make sure that your husbands' document is the Document Certifying PR and not the Registration Certificate.
Yes, provided it is form an HO approved test and test provider and at least level B1. You also need the Life in the UK test.
And P60s for the time you worked for an employer if relevant.
Fine.
Anything I've left out?
LIUK test.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:23 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:10 pm
They only need to each sign the form, not the photo.
2. passports each
Correct.
Correct. Make sure that your husbands' document is the Document Certifying PR and not the Registration Certificate.
Yes, provided it is form an HO approved test and test provider and at least level B1. You also need the Life in the UK test.
And P60s for the time you worked for an employer if relevant.
Fine.
Anything I've left out?
LIUK test.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! honestly. It's so helpful :)

We've already added our life in the UK reference as part of our application! thank you :)
I'll add P60s. Is P45 also okay?

Finally - my husbands' document is the blue one that says: "Document certifying permanent residency" :) Thanks x

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:45 pm

We've already added our life in the UK reference as part of our application! thank you :)
Perfect.
Preferably P60s but if you don't have, P45 should be ok. You can also download your employment/tax history from HMRC.
Finally - my husbands' document is the blue one that says: "Document certifying permanent residency" :)
Great, that is what is needed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:45 pm
Perfect.
Preferably P60s but if you don't have, P45 should be ok. You can also download your employment/tax history from HMRC.
Finally - my husbands' document is the blue one that says: "Document certifying permanent residency" :)
Great, that is what is needed.
Oh and finally - the forms for the referees - do I get them after paying and submitting?

You are truly amazing you have managed to help and calm me down. 🥰

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:49 am

danifk123 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am
Oh and finally - the forms for the referees - do I get them after paying and submitting?

You are truly amazing you have managed to help and calm me down. 🥰
I don't have access to the online forms, but I understand from other members experience that you download print them at some point, likely towards the end.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:56 am

You're the best! thanks <3

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am

If you don't come right, let me know and I will dig up the pdf version of the forms and post the link.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:32 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am
If you don't come right, let me know and I will dig up the pdf version of the forms and post the link.
Thanks my lovely I just went ahead and they gave me a download PDF of form MN1 - rather confused as it does say I need to add a passport photo and that the referee need to sign my name and date of birth at the back, yet I then need to glue it?

Any thoughts? Thanks so much

This is the form btw:
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:48 pm

It is from the old paper form where it was posted and if the photo became detached hey could march it to the form.

Still write your name and DOB in the back in case ho does ask for the originals.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:27 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:48 pm
It is from the old paper form where it was posted and if the photo became detached hey could march it to the form.

Still write your name and DOB in the back in case ho does ask for the originals.
so is that like a normal passport photo? I don't know how comfortable I am going to get new ones, can I use older ones you think?

Thanks a million again. <3

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:33 pm

They shouldn't be older than 6 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:08 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:33 pm
They shouldn't be older than 6 months.
Thank you, I went and got ones anyway. It seemed they were following regulations.
I was in a hurry as one of my referees went away this morning for 2 weeks so wanted them to sign beforehand. He did sign but in his full name he didn't include his middle name which I did add in the application. Is that an issue?
Again sorry if I'm over-reacting just really nervous.

Thanks so much :!: :!:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:15 am

No issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:18 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:15 am
No issue.
Phew. THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH. You rock.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:20 am

:D
Char (CR001 not Casa)

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:33 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:20 am
Hi darling!
I just submitted our application and paid ( :shock: )
Apparently there are no appointment AT ALL not even a month ahead, and gov website says the application will be invalid if I don't attend by 8 of October.
What do I do?? :cry:

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:41 am

Shall I upload documents in the meantime? sorry for the many questions really confused here <3

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:44 am

danifk123 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:33 am
CR001 wrote:
Hi darling!
Apparently there are no appointment AT ALL not even a month ahead, and gov website says the application will be invalid if I don't attend by 8 of October.
It is a general automated message. It has not been updated given the delays due to the pandemic. No one will be penalised due to the delays.
danifk123 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:41 am
Shall I upload documents in the meantime? sorry for the many questions really confused here <3
Yes, you can upload in the meantime.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:47 am

I hope this will be resolved soon, I'll wait to hear from them.
As always thank you ever so much for your kind help and support through these challenging times (and hormonal haha)

danifk123
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by danifk123 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:47 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:44 am
danifk123 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:33 am
CR001 wrote:
Hi darling!
It is a general automated message. It has not been updated given the delays due to the pandemic. No one will be penalised due to the delays.
danifk123 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:41 am
Yes, you can upload in the meantime.
Sorry to bother you again :oops:
I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer - I'm trying to upload the documents for my husband and I and we both only see one mandatory category for the identity. Nothing else. The rest is optional which doesn't really suit our supporting documents.
Any ideas? X