ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR in foreign passport for a UK dual national

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

brucethebadger
Newly Registered

ILR in foreign passport for a UK dual national

Post by brucethebadger » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:51 am

I am a dual US/UK national through birth and parental rights (not naturalised, therefore no certificate)

I have recently renewed my US passport and been told that the previous stamp issued in every US passport I have ever had is no longer being used. The stamp said that I have indefinite leave to enter the United Kingdom in a thin black rectangular box.

A a British citizen the Home office has told me that as this is not issued any longer and I am not able to have anything that shows my right to enter the the UK (even a tourist visa or a certificate on entitlement) in my US passport.

I travel a lot with work and is not always possible to travel with both passports as was the case this week when I was detained at Heathrow for an hour, whilst the IO verified my UK citizenship. I was then given entry but the IO was instructed to not stamp my entry, so my passport remains completely blank.

Surely there has to be something that can indicate my right to enter and I don't have to go through this every time?

vinny

Re: ILR in foreign passport for a UK dual national

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:11 am

Apply for either a British passport or a CoE-RoA.

Always use US passport to enter/exit the US.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:23 am

Like Vinny said, However, remember you can only hold a COE to ROA (which goes in US passport) or a British Passport you cannot have both at the same time.

blessedtoday

Post by blessedtoday » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:41 am

brucethebadger wrote:I am a dual US/UK national through birth and parental rights (not naturalised, therefore no certificate)

I have recently renewed my US passport and been told that the previous stamp issued in every US passport I have ever had is no longer being used. The stamp said that I have indefinite leave to enter the United Kingdom in a thin black rectangular box.

A a British citizen the Home office has told me that as this is not issued any longer and I am not able to have anything that shows my right to enter the the UK (even a tourist visa or a certificate on entitlement) in my US passport.

I travel a lot with work and is not always possible to travel with both passports as was the case this week when I was detained at Heathrow for an hour, whilst the IO verified my UK citizenship. I was then given entry but the IO was instructed to not stamp my entry, so my passport remains completely blank.

Surely there has to be something that can indicate my right to enter and I don't have to go through this every time?
As you have been advised you will need to apply for a British Passport and travel with two passports that is the only way to stop you from being detained especially as a frequent traveller

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:53 am

Provided it is work-related, you could apply for a second UK passport (and likely a second US passport as well).

http://pointstobemade.boardingarea.com/ ... -passport/

http://philarcher.org/diary/2016/secondpassport/

US - http://traveltips.usatoday.com/obtain-s ... 61904.html
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

brucethebadger
Newly Registered

Post by brucethebadger » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am

I already have a British passport. But it is not feasible for me to always travel with two passports (it is currently away whilst I await for a visa to be granted for a forthcoming trip to the far east)

And I am not eligible for a COE as I am a British citizen, but thank you for the suggestion

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:33 pm

As a British citizen, you have the Right of Abode. But you are not eligible foe a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode because you already have a British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

brucethebadger
Newly Registered

Post by brucethebadger » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:40 am

vinny wrote:As a British citizen, you have the Right of Abode. But you are not eligible foe a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode because you already have a British passport.

So what options do I have Vinny?