ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is English language test required for NHS dentist during naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kalven

Is English language test required for NHS dentist during naturalization

Post by kalven » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:45 pm

Hi

My sister is a dentist and she applying for naturalization now. She got her ILR in 2015 based on dependent during which an English language test was not required (I think). But during this naturalization application English language test seems to be mandatory, She did her degree abroad which is costing £140 to approve the English language taught. however can she prove by any other means?

As is an approved dentist and is currently working for NHS, would a letter from NHS be sufficient to prove her English language eligibility?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Is English language test required for NHS dentist during naturalization

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:58 pm

If she got ILR in 2015,she would have had to prove she meets the English language requirement. The only ILR route that does not require the English test is the refugee route

No, a letter from the NHS is Not sufficient. She needs to meet the B1 English test or foreign degree assessment as stated.

She is not exempt simply because she works for the NHS!!

Probably also best if she registers on the forum to ask her own questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:59 pm

To build on CR001's clear answer above, keep in mind that naturalisation is not a part of the immigration pathway, which ends at ILR, but has it's own separate laws, rules and requirements.

So, even if the English language test or the LITUK test was not required at ILR (such as for refugees and their families or people under the EU Settled Status scheme), those two tests are still required, even for those exempt from the tests at ILR.

The requirements for the English language test are very specific. Either a degree taught in the UK or a degree taught abroad which has been assessed by ECCTIS or a score of at least B1 at an approved SELT centre.

Both the last two options cost the same (~£150). The latter (SELT centre tests) tend to give a result faster than the former (ECCTIS evaluation).

Keep in mind that these requirements apply even to people who have worked for years in the UK, and even to those who have done their schooling in the UK at GCSE and A levels, but have not yet got a degree.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kalven

Post by kalven » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:25 pm

Hello

Thank you for the valuable feedback .. I understand she needs a degree in UK, she is doing her PG diploma which is due to completion soon. Does that count ? ( am checking just because it a PG Diploma)

Also is IELTS still valid for this application? She did it during her entry in UK 10+ years ago

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:32 pm

What category dependent visa did she have that she got ILR through?

What ielts test did she do back then??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kalven

Post by kalven » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:23 pm

It was spouse ILR route and she took academic IELTS and scored 8.2 in it ..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:57 pm

What ielts and level did she submit for her ILR?

She neede B1 for ILR and she needs the same for citizenship.

An expired B1 test can only be used if both the test and test provider are still on the current ukvi approved list.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kalven

Post by kalven » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:42 am

Hi thanks you for the feedback .. just noticed this words in the screen shot in her Life in UK test

‘ your success at this test also demonstrates that your level of competence in English meets the required level for Naturalisation or ILR . No further prof is needed’

Not sure how to attached the screen shot here ..

kalven

Post by kalven » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:48 am

And the test date was 26/06/2013 .. apologies I mentioned 2015 earlier

kalven

Post by kalven » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:35 pm

Hello

Please may I know if any updates on this .. get test for ILR was taken on June 2013 which says it covers for English language test as well.. but the naturalization application does not provide an option to select this.. any suggestions would Br helpful