ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Issue with Citizenship Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

questionguy65

Issue with Citizenship Ceremony

Post by questionguy65 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:29 am

Hi guys,

I really appreciate it if you please advise on my situation? So my story is this:

I used to live in Berkshire county when I applied for my Citizenship (naturalisation), which was during the COVID lockdown. Before receiving the results for my application, I had to move to Oxfordshire. I have told home office that I have moved and changed my address.

After a while I received a letter from home office that my application was successful and I should await for my invitation letter to attend the ceremony, which I received it from Berkshire county. this was during the Christmas time so I really needed to go back to my birth country to see my parents. I ended up being stuck there due to the English variant of the COVID-19 and was not able to get back to UK for about 6 months (I also contracted COVID back there and was hospitalised).

From there, I arranged my ceremony with Berkshire county which was commencing almost at the deadline of my timeframe to attend with the 3 months extension from home office taking into account.

When I finally got back to UK and attended my ceremony in Berkshire county, they refused to proceed half way through my ceremony as they found out that my certificate was posted and sent to Oxfordshire county. I did not get any emails not post about this. So they sent me home and asked my to arrange another ceremony this time with Oxfordshire county.

I contacted Oxfordshire county and they told me that they have my certificate but as they are not sure about the deadline and expiry date of the certificate, I have to request an extension from home office before they can proceed. I have email, but been told that it might take 20 working days if not longer for the to reply.

My questions are these:

1. Will I get an extension?
2. Do I need to pay and re-apply for my citizenship?
3. What is the actual timeframe for home office to respond to emails?
4. What is the worst case scenario?

Thankyou in advance.