ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Just been granted UK ILR and need help applying for baby's citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Just been granted UK ILR and need help applying for baby's citizenship

Post by spanchal2020 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:37 am

We have just received our ILR and now I would like to apply for British citizenship for our 1-year-old daughter. From what I have seen so far, she will not be eligible for citizenship directly as she was born BEFORE we got our ILR.

I have been trying to find a correct form but can't really find the relevant form. One of the form I found starts asking information about myself i.e. Name, Date of Birth, Passport details etc. Not sure I have got that right? Its like I myself applying for citizenship but that's not what I want.

I understand we do need to provide our details but at the beginning of the form, it asks whether I am applying for Myself or acting as an agent/representative so not even sure which option should I go with? As we need to apply for our baby.

Appreciate any help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Just been granted UK ILR and need help applying for baby's citizenship

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:41 am

Was the child born in the UK??

It is form MN1 to register a child as British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 am

Hi Thank you for your response.

Yes, she was born in UK.

Yes, I did found MN1 form but there are 2 options.

1) One says if I am applying from from the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or a British overseas territory then I need to use the hard copy of the form and post it to them.

We leave in England so above doesn't apply to us.

So the only option remaining is the apply online. And that's the option I already tried. And As I said, when I start filling out the form, its asks -

make an application yourself
use an agent or representative

Not sure which option should I go with? I have tried selecting "yourself" but then its starts asking whether I have got English test, whether I have got Life in UK test etc etc etc. So my concern is, how does this application is considered for my baby and not for my self?

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:39 am

**UPDATE**

Please ignore above as I have now managed to find that I should be filling the MN1 physical copy and should apply by post rather than online. This copy of MN1 has more relevant questions to the child which makes sense now.

However, it does ask for current Nationality, any idea what we should mention there? As Child only been registered in the UK and got only a birth certificate. No any other passport or anything. So what should be considered as child's current nationality? (Should I be even filling that information? As its mentioned in the form that only fill those part of the form which apply to this child's application and cross out all others)

Also can't really see what sort of documents we need to send along with this application?

Any help/suggestion will be highly appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:56 am

You need to apply online.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:27 am

I called home office yesterday for citizenship enquiries on 03001232253 and they have confirmed I can fill the MN1 and apply it via post. It doesn't have to be online.

Although via post is for someone from channel island / British territories but that's also doesn't mean we can't apply via post according to what they said.

Also the form itslef also suggest that it can be used anyone from channel island etc and also anyone else who wishes to apply via post.

Is this not true?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:28 am

Not sure why you are finding it difficult to do online.

Your choice what you choose to do and how long you are prepared to be without original documents posted to ho as they keep them till a decision is made.

You can't use ukcvas sopra steria if applying by post.

Note also that the call centre is outsourced to a third party agent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:04 am

Problem with online form -

1) as soon as start filling the form, its starts with question that whether applicant applying for himself or am I acting as agent. I am applying for our daughter so I have no idea what to select in this.

2) let's ignore above for now, then if I select myself, it's starts asking questions about our passport, address etc etc which is also fine. But then it's asks if we have passed English test or if we have passed life in UK test etc etc. If I don't answer this then its not allowing to move forward with form. If I do answer it then how come this application is considered as for our daughter and not for us?

Considering this application is for our 1 year old daughter, she should not ideally have answers of these questions isn't it?

Hope you know what I mean.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:14 am

1. Daughter herself as the aplicant. Agent refers to an immigration agent not a parent.

2. No idea what form you are looking at but mn1 has NO English requirement etc. It is only form AN for adults that asks this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:20 am

This is the form I tried online couple of times earlier -

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1579156886

And it does starts asking questions about English language requirement, life in UK etc etc in second or third step so there is no way I can move forward.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:21 am

What information are you filling in from the start?

Note we do not all have access to the inline forms.

You need to complete the form as if you are your daughter completing the form.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:23 am

Thank you for your message, I do appreciate your help so far. I am going to give it a one more go and see if I can do it online.

Sand6

Post by Sand6 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi you can use both online and post as well. As according to my personal experience I used the paper form for my one child and got the registration certificate in one month and for the other I used the online form and got the certificate in one moth as well, so in term of processing time there is no difference. The only difference with online and paper form is that you have to send original with paper form but with online you can retain all your original documents. And one more thing YOU CAN STILL USE PAPER FORM as well it’s wrong to say you can not use it as I have used it by myself for my naturalisation application. But I found the online form more easier and quick. And in all the form your child will be the main applicant. I hope that helps.

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Thank you for your message. Really appreciate it. It helps a lot!

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Ok, I have started doing online form but got a question which I am not quite sure what to answer.

What should be considered as the current Nationality of our daughter as she was Born in UK. and currently do not hold any travel document or passport. We did not obtain one as we didn't intend to travel anywhere until she would get her citizenship.

And this is one of the problem with online form as if we don't answer this, it won't allow to move forward.

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:50 pm

Then it asks for Passport, Travel document or valid national identity card. I selected No for all as our daughter has none of those, then it asks for a reason for not providing any of these. Not sure what to answer. May be N/A?

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:58 pm

It then also asks when did you first arrive in UK and where did you arrive (for ex. Heathrow airport)? I mean, she was born here so how one supposed to answer these questions? And without answering them, it doesn't allow to move forward.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:49 pm

spanchal2020 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:47 pm
Ok, I have started doing online form but got a question which I am not quite sure what to answer.

What should be considered as the current Nationality of our daughter as she was Born in UK. and currently do not hold any travel document or passport. We did not obtain one as we didn't intend to travel anywhere until she would get her citizenship.

And this is one of the problem with online form as if we don't answer this, it won't allow to move forward.
What is your nationality?? Children usually take on their parents nationality. This is separate to holding a passport, which is just a travel document.
spanchal2020 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:50 pm
Then it asks for Passport, Travel document or valid national identity card. I selected No for all as our daughter has none of those, then it asks for a reason for not providing any of these. Not sure what to answer. May be N/A?
Simply state you don't have. It isn't a trick question!!
spanchal2020 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:58 pm
It then also asks when did you first arrive in UK and where did you arrive (for ex. Heathrow airport)? I mean, she was born here so how one supposed to answer these questions? And without answering them, it doesn't allow to move forward.
The take form is used for ALL children, regardless of where they were born. Apply state date of birth and London etc.

You need to stop overthinking this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

WaitingPatty
BANNED
Cayman Islands

Post by WaitingPatty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:23 pm

It's illegal in international law to make a person stateless. Children automatically have their parents' nationality and you cannot renounce on their behalf (I. E Under 18). So their current nationality is what yours is

Rbgotpwr

Post by Rbgotpwr » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:50 pm

spanchal2020 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:39 am
**UPDATE**

Please ignore above as I have now managed to find that I should be filling the MN1 physical copy and should apply by post rather than online. This copy of MN1 has more relevant questions to the child which makes sense now.

However, it does ask for current Nationality, any idea what we should mention there? As Child only been registered in the UK and got only a birth certificate. No any other passport or anything. So what should be considered as child's current nationality? (Should I be even filling that information? As its mentioned in the form that only fill those part of the form which apply to this child's application and cross out all others)

Also can't really see what sort of documents we need to send along with this application?

Any help/suggestion will be highly appreciated!
Current nationality is the nationalities the child is entitled through the parents. The Nationality you hold as well as the father.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:35 am

WaitingPatty wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:23 pm
It's illegal in international law to make a person stateless. Children automatically have their parents' nationality and you cannot renounce on their behalf (I. E Under 18). So their current nationality is what yours is
That is not universally true. Many nationalities do not descend to generations born abroad without special actions. Indian and Australian nationality are not automatically acquired by those born abroad, and indeed British citizenships descend abroad no more than one generation automatically.

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Can anyone please help?

I am now trying to fill the form online - the MN1 form but when I get to the payment page, its asking to pay £1349.20? But the website shows the fees for children is £1012.

Appreciate if someone can help, thanks in advance.

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:02 pm

I just checked further and Its shows the fees for adult is £1330 + 19.20 for biometric that comes down to £1349.20 but its still asking me to pay same amount for our child's application? She is only 13 months old at the moment, Doesn't really makes sense.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:07 pm

Did you go back through the form and check if you have chosen the correct options and entered the correct birth dates, etc?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

spanchal2020
Newly Registered

Post by spanchal2020 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:23 pm

Yeah I did. Date of birth is the first thing I verified.

Do you think is there anything else could determine the fees? Because she was born in the UK she has no previous passport, BRP, travel document, she doesn't comply with 5 years residency etc etc. I have answered almost all of those as no.

Can any of that have an affect on the fees?