ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mn1 - can you apply from the UK for a child abroad!?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gill_no1
Newly Registered
Cyprus

British Citizenship Mn1 for newborn baby - surrogacy

Post by gill_no1 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:19 am

I am a British citizen (by descent) born and always lived in the UK. I am currently in North Cyprus as I have just had a baby born here via surrogacy. I am the biological father and have a British passport. The surrogate (birth mother) was married at the time of embryo transfer and due to this I understand I have to apply for citizenship for my baby. He is 6 weeks old. I understand I have to complete form MN1. I have a couple of questions:
1. As my child in only 6 weeks old, he hasn't really had much contact with any professionals. What do I do for referees? I have seen the list but am unsure who to nominate. I could give the details of the surrogacy co-ordinator who has regularly been in contact since the birth. She is in Cyprus and does not hold a British passport. Can I give my employer as the second referee? My employer is a professional and is a British passport holder.
2. How are you notified of decision? The reason for asking is that the postal service in North Cyprus is non existent. I am worried that if I give the address of where we are currently staying, letters may be posted here but will never reach me.
3. I have got my baby's birth certificate from here. I can scan my passport. Do I get an appointment with any UK officials here in North Cyprus to submit these documents or do I send these by post?
Many thanks in advance for your answers.

gill_no1
Newly Registered
Cyprus

Re: British Citizenship Mn1 for newborn baby - surrogacy

Post by gill_no1 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:46 am

Sorry just wanted to clarify I am British citizen otherwise than by descent.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:11 am

Doesn’t 50(9A)
For the purposes of this Act a child’s father is—
  • (a) the husband [F14or male civil partner], at the time of the child’s birth, of the woman who gives birth to the child, or
  • [F15(b) where a person is treated as the father of the child under section 28 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990 or section 35 or 36 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008, that person, or
  • (ba) where a person is treated as a parent of the child under section 42 or 43 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008, that person, or
  • (c) where none of paragraphs (a) to (ba) applies, a person who satisfies prescribed requirements as to proof of paternity.]

(b) apply?

See also REVOKED CHILD'S BRITISH PASSPORT.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

gill_no1
Newly Registered
Cyprus

Post by gill_no1 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:34 am

I have got a letter from the clinic to state that embryo was created using my sperm and donor egg and then placed inside surrogate. Is this OK even though this took place outside of the UK (North Cyprus)?
Failing that, should I have a DNA test to prove paternity?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:45 am

See also

Surrogacy: legal rights of parents and surrogates

Children born outside the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:58 am

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:02 pm

gill_no1
Newly Registered
Cyprus

Mn1 - receive registration certificate by email or post?

Post by gill_no1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:57 pm

I understand that most people receive their registration certificate by post.
We are currently in North Cyprus and when applying online, there is the option to select Cyprus, Northern as the country. Post in this country is not reliable compared to the Republic of Cyprus. My question is whether it is possible to receive my child's registration certificate by email. Is there an option to collect from UK embassy? We are currently staying in an apartment and since arriving here early September, I have not seen one single person delivering any post. I have asked locals and they laugh when I mention post.
I could give a friend's address instead of our current address - she is based in the South (Republic of Cyprus). My concern with this is that when we are called for Biometrics, if we state address in the South, will we be called to go to somewhere in the South or do we get an option to choose a location here in the North?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Mn1 - receive registration certificate by email or post?

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:08 am

gill_no1 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:57 pm
I understand that most people receive their registration certificate by post.
We are currently in North Cyprus and when applying online, there is the option to select Cyprus, Northern as the country. Post in this country is not reliable compared to the Republic of Cyprus. My question is whether it is possible to receive my child's registration certificate by email. Is there an option to collect from UK embassy? We are currently staying in an apartment and since arriving here early September, I have not seen one single person delivering any post. I have asked locals and they laugh when I mention post.
I could give a friend's address instead of our current address - she is based in the South (Republic of Cyprus). My concern with this is that when we are called for Biometrics, if we state address in the South, will we be called to go to somewhere in the South or do we get an option to choose a location here in the North?
Certificates are usually posted. They are not sent out digitally by email and there is no such option to choose.

Registrations can take up 6 months, sometimes longer
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gill_no1
Newly Registered
Cyprus

Mn1 - can you apply from the UK for a child abroad!?

Post by gill_no1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:08 pm

Hi - can you apply and complete Mn1 online from the UK even though the child you are applying for is abroad?

vinny

Re: Mn1 - can you apply from the UK for a child abroad!?

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:27 am

Yes. I think you may complete the online form on behalf of a child. However, there is probably a question asking where the applicant is located.