ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Nationality question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Anapoima
Newly Registered
Ireland

Nationality question

Post by Anapoima » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Hello, I have a few questions about the online application for British citizenship via naturalisation. Can someone please please help, thanks!

I’m applying for Naturalisation having lived in the U.K. for the past 5 years. I have a New Zealand and Irish passport, the latter allows me to apply for naturalisation without applying for permanent residency. Note, I have already passed the “Life in the U.K.” test.

The online applications asks you to state all your nationalities to which I will state both NZ and IrelandZ Using the online application, if I put Ireland as the “first nationality” on the application (and add my Irish passport details), I get asked the following question ref “Knowledge of the English language” which I do not understand “Have you met the requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013?
Applicants who applied for, and obtained, settlement on or after the 28th October 2013 using an English language qualification at level B1 or above can use this as evidence of their knowledge of English language. However if this qualification was not used and accepted for their settlement application, it cannot be used for this application.”
Can anyone explain what this means? The possible answers are yes or no. I’m not sure the answer is in my case, but it looks like the answer should be yes.

Note, when I enter NZ as the “first nationality” on the application (and enter my NZ passport details), It does not ask me the above question. I think this is because NZ is on the Home Office’s exemption list.

However, I would like to put my Irish nationality first as this is giving me the right to reside in the U.K., i.e. “freedom from immigration time restrictions” and also confirms I do not need to apply for permanent residency prior to applying for naturalisation. I’m a bit nervous putting Irish first as I don’t want to answer the above question incorrectly and as a result it jeopardises my application given the significant fee.

Does it matter what nationality I select as the first one on the online application? As I will need to submit both passports anyway, ie NZ passport to satisfy English language requirement and Irish passport to confirm “freedom from immigration restrictions”.

Second question...The online application asks my parents “family name”. For my mother, will this be her father’s surname? Or her husband’s (my dad’s) surname? Or should I use née and indicate my mother’s current and former surnames?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you