ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NATURALISED BRITISH CITIZEN & DEPORTATION FROM UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

secret.simon

Re: NATURALISED BRITISH CITIZEN & DEPORTATION FROM UK

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:23 pm

allahrasool wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:11 am
so UK Gov would not give its citizenship to someone who is entitled to register as a British citizen due to a serious crime.
Most countries around the world, certainly most developed countries, have some form of "good character" requirement for people who are not already citizens to acquire citizenship. So serial or dangerous criminals may find it hard to acquire citizenship.
allahrasool wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:11 am
why would the UK Gov expect another country to entertain a request to accept such a serious criminal who is a British citizen even if this person was entitled to that country's nationality through any route.. After the serious crime committed this person does not meet the good character required to obtain that country's citizenship anymore .
I think that you are confusing entitlement to a citizenship with already having citizenship. Having the citizenship of a country is determined by the national laws of that country and can persist in spite of several generations outside that country.

So, for instance, Poland regards all people born of Polish descent, no matter how many generations earlier, as Polish citizens and used to impose compulsory military service requirements on them even if they were not aware that they were dual Polish-other citizens and just on a short trip to Poland. That is why, for instance, in the midst of the Cold War, the US had to negotiate special provisions with Poland that allowed US citizens of Polish descent to not be treated as Polish citizens when visiting Poland. (Wikipedia article on Polish nationality law)

Similarly Chinese nationality law and Italian nationality law allow citizenships to be transmitted over multiple generations abroad, thus conferring citizenship on people who may not be aware of it and who may never exercise it.

In these cases, the relevant people (of Polish, Italian or Chinese descent) are already citizens of their relevant countries, not merely entitled to it, even if they do not have a passport of that country.

And as I had mentioned above, the Home Office is generally aware of the citizenship laws of most major countries and can request the British Embassy in that country for assistance in clarifying the nationality law of that country.

On a different note, the BBC posted a profile of one of the 17 who were deported to Jamaica on Tuesday. It seems that he was convicted 10 times for a total of 22 offences, including burglary.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

allahrasool
Newly Registered
Aruba

Post by allahrasool » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:31 am

Secret.Simon

1-
Okay i get you now . but if a British born citizen who is a serious criminal and is already citizen of another country by descent , ( Poland , Italy or china in this example) , what legal & moral responsibility does that government have to grant entry to such a person , if UK Gov wants to deport this citizen of it to them. Wouldn't the said country's government challenge in International Court ,The said person did not commit the crime in that country , never visited the country , has no ties to it anymore other than the right to its citizenship by descent then why should they admit such a serious criminal? and puts it public into danger.

when the country where this person was born and is a citizenship of , is paying taxes in etc etc , is not taking any responsibility for this person.

2-
Any foreign national who is a serious criminal and sentenced to more than 12 months , should be deported ... 100% fair policy for the safety of British citizens.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:35 pm

allahrasool wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:31 am
but if a British born citizen who is a serious criminal and is already citizen of another country by descent , ( Poland , Italy or china in this example) , what legal & moral responsibility does that government have to grant entry to such a person , if UK Gov wants to deport this citizen of it to them. Wouldn't the said country's government challenge in International Court ,The said person did not commit the crime in that country , never visited the country , has no ties to it anymore other than the right to its citizenship by descent then why should they admit such a serious criminal? and puts it public into danger.
Tricks like refusal to admit may be used, but many countries have laws allowing their citizens to be admitted. The moral defence for an admitting government is that the person is one of their citizens.

I for one feel that stripping a British citizen by birth who has always been British of nationality and deporting him is wrong. My feelings have not helped white boy Jack Letts.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:38 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

allahrasool
Newly Registered
Aruba

Post by allahrasool » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:21 am

Richard W wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:35 pm
allahrasool wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:31 am
Tricks like refusal to admit may be used, but many countries have laws allowing their citizens to be admitted. The moral defence for an admitting government is that the person is one of their citizens.

I for one feel that stripping a British citizen by birth who has always been British of nationality and deporting him is wrong. My feelings have not helped white boy Jack Letts.
Again , in case mentioned above the person was born in the UK , lived in the UK , was radicalized within the UK . But British Government expects another Government to take him instead. By stripping his nationality , leaving Canada responsible for any diplomatic assistance Letts need.

i would say , UK Gov is playing tricks and not the other way round ...