ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EEA National wife of EEA National

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MrsMoose
Newly Registered

Non-EEA National wife of EEA National

Post by MrsMoose » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 am

Hi there

I'm hoping someone can help me understand the very confusing naturalisation rules posted on the Home Office website. I've summarised my situation below:
  • - Entered UK on 2nd July 2005 on Working Holiday Visa
    - Applied for and received EEA residence permit on 26 August 2006
    - Got married on 8th March 2008
    - Received PR status on 3rd July 2010 due to EEA legislation
I have been fully employed during the full 5 years that I have been here, as has my husband. We own a house, and his whole family live here (not sure if any of that's relevant).

When would I be able to apply for naturalisation and hence my British passport? Would I need to wait for the full year of having permanent residence (i.e. until July 2011) before I apply, or would I be able to apply now already? I saw on the website that the Home Office are able to use their discretion to award naturalisation to individuals who don't necessarily meet all the requirements.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

geriatrix

Re: Non-EEA National wife of EEA National

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36 am

MrsMoose wrote: I saw on the website that the Home Office are able to use their discretion to award naturalisation to individuals who don't necessarily meet all the requirements.
Also explains when discretion may be used.

See also NON EEA FAmily mamber citizenship

regards