ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application - originals need to be sent?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rg1
Member of Standing

Passport application - originals need to be sent?

Post by rg1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:41 am

If I use Post Office check and send service, do I have to send my original (my current Indian) passport along with the application?

Holiday12
Newly Registered

Post by Holiday12 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 am

Yes, you have to send original passport regardless of whether you use Check and Send or Postal

lboro

Post by lboro » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am

What are the benefits of using check & send service from postal office over just posting the forms yourself?

Holiday12
Newly Registered

Post by Holiday12 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:22 am

Check and Send just ensures that you have sent the correct documents and that your photos are adequate etc. It costs £8 and that includes special delivery.

I sent mine postal while my husband sent his check and send (as my husband needed his passport in a hurry). My application took faster strangely enough...

lboro

Post by lboro » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:29 am

does it include special delivery for sending and returning documents? or just for sending?

Holiday12
Newly Registered

Post by Holiday12 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:31 am

Just for sending.

The return of documents by normal post is free however if you want them returned securely, you need to add £3 to the passport application fee

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:02 pm

I need to apply for my own passport, my wife's and my daughters (who was born 2 weeks back).

When my daughter was born, we were under ILR. So, I understand she is eligible for British citizenship as well.

Can I send all applications at once? The passport application form is for single applications only. But for my daugher's passport, she needs my passport as well.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:58 pm

rg1 wrote:So, I understand she is eligible for British citizenship as well.
The child is entitled to be registered as British citizen under section 1(3). Apply using form MN1. Upon registration, apply for child's British passport.

You may submit child's application (MN1) along with (your and your wife's joint) AN application, but you'll need to pay for the (child's) application separately.

regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:03 pm

rg1 wrote: The passport application form is for single applications only. .
You cannot apply for a passport until you become a British citizen.

regards

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Hang on a minute, will my daughter be eligible for British Passport directly or she will have to apply for naturalization first?

When she was born, both my wife and myself had ILR.

Now my wife and I hold naturalization certificates.

boloney

Post by boloney » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 pm

rg1 wrote:Hang on a minute, will my daughter be eligible for British Passport directly or she will have to apply for naturalization first?

When she was born, both my wife and myself had ILR.

Now my wife and I hold naturalization certificates.
She was born as a british citizen, send yours passport and ilr along with her application,write then covering letter.she is british under section 1(1) british nationality act.

I have done the same think with my daughter passport,she was born to polish parents, - have permanent residence card,this was enough to proof that. I`m settle in the uk.her passport was with us after 5 working days.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:26 pm

If your daughter was born in the UK when you had ILR status, then she is automatically British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:51 pm

Apologies! Missed reading the most important and relevant bit!
rg1 wrote:When my daughter was born, we were under ILR.
The child is British and you may apply for the passport straightaway.

regards