ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport refused even though i was born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

isobel224446
Newly Registered
Spain

Passport refused even though i was born in UK

Post by isobel224446 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:26 pm

so this is fairly complicated but here goes,

Currently I am 15 and live under the care of my Nan and her partner under a special guardianship order, her partner is also completely British with a passport. My Nan applied for a British passport for both me and my 13 year old brother. My brother and I were both born in the UK and have lived here all our lives, attending state schools and also using the NHS, never leaving England, The same with our mother she also has never left the UK and was born here, her father ( my grandad) is a british citizen.

however and here’s the tricky bit, my nan ( my mums mother) is from Kenya and moved to the UK after her father had ,once Africa gained independence and Kenya had refused to renew my Nan’s dad’s (my great grandad) work permit. When moving here my Nan was unaware that she had to stamp her passport within the first few weeks of moving here however after losing her first british passport she easily regained another after being naturalised. HM PASSPORT OFFICE also thought it a problem that she had not reported the passport missing however my nan’s brother did report his missing.
although my nan was naturalised this was after my mother’s birth and so my passport and my brothers were declined and we were advised to register for citizenship

But what bothers me is the fact that this was my nan and not my mother so why does it affect me? my mother does not have a passport and i do not know of my father however my brother does know his father and he is wholly british.

I am soon eligible for an adult passport so could i register for a passport without registering for citizenship as I will be the applicant not my Nan or will i still be rejected?
thanks for any help:)

thsths

Re: Passport refused even though i was born in UK

Post by thsths » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:56 am

I can see that your situation is not simple, so you need to be precise about a few details.

The argument by the Passport Office is that your mother is not a British Citizen, because your grandmother was not a British Citizen when she was born. (Keep in mind that there are different kinds of British Citizenship, and the laws have changed significantly over time.) Are they correct? And if not, do you have evidence to the contrary?

I know that registration is expensive, but it may be the way to go. It is a lot easier than nationalising once you are 18.

isobel224446
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by isobel224446 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:10 am

I suppose but wouldn’t my mother be a british citizen as her father is? And with my brother his father is also

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:29 am

Your grandparents moved from Kenya to the U.K. after independence. Do you know when they moved? And are your grandparents of Asian descent? The reason for these questions is that it may indicate if they retained British nationality after Kenyan independence and whether or not they arrived in Britain before certain immigration rules changed in 1968 and again in 1973.

Your grandmother naturalised as a British citizen after you were born- did your grandfather also naturalise as British, and if so, when?

In order to show that you're automatically British, you need to show that your mother was a British citizen or permanent resident when you were born.

Worst case- if you can't show any of the above, you can apply for registration as a British citizen on Form T. All you need to show is that you were born in the United Kingdom and lived in the U.K. until age 10.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... zen-form-t

Your brother can also register under Form T- or if his father's details are documented on his birth certificate or otherwise, he could also register under form UKF (lower fee than Form T).
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-ukf

You indicate that you may be Spanish- are you a Spanish citizen?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Kashif_Hussain
Mood:

Post by Kashif_Hussain » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:37 pm

in any case:
you born in the UK and lived here for 10 years, right?
fill form-T to register as British citizen once you get the certificate of registration, you're British, apply for passport.

isobel224446
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by isobel224446 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:04 pm

No, my nan is actually of portuguese decent however was born in Kenya, her parents had british passports as it was a colony, however she has just informed me that she infact had a kenyan passport,
My father is Spanish, however i have never been to Spain and am not a likely citizen, the only plausible claim to citizenship would be Britain and I have been here all my life and am unable to leave due to lack of passport.
Two of my siblings currently hold a passport.
My grandad is of English decent, it is my Grandma that’s the problem, they’re not married.

isobel224446
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by isobel224446 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Also my Grandma was naturalised before, not after I was born.
But before my mother was born
My mother was also born in this country

British2001
Newly Registered

Post by British2001 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:59 pm

isobel224446 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:06 pm
Also my Grandma was naturalised before, not after I was born.
But before my mother was born
My mother was also born in this country
Your mom was born in the UK? What year? If it was before 1983, she would get citizenship through birthright and you would be able to get that passed on to you if I'm correct.