ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Musicbox
Newly Registered
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by Musicbox » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi Team and members..

Good news hearing hellonewhere managed to get their first UK passport in their married name still holding a foreign passport in their maiden name.
I'm still in a in the situation that my Thai wife's passport is in her maiden name which we don't wish to cancel or change as she has family and land in Thailand which would be a nightmare and cost to change (if it even can). We've looked into changing but realise it's too much of a problem to do, so staying the same.

My question is shall we just get her Naturalisation in her maiden name and simply apply for her UK passport in her maiden name even though we're married with a different names and all her documents in the UK show her married name (driving licence, Bank, Insurance, Employment etc..) I don't know if they would put an observation in her passport stating she's married and also know as.... Seems like double identity all over again..

OR

Should do we apply for her Naturalisation in our married name and try and fight it out like hellonewhere has? It seems so crazy the HO and the HMPO don't agree on something which should be so logical to do with a marriage certificate as evidence :( I don't know which way to do her Naturalisation now. If ANYONE can help with sound advice, we'd appreciate it so much (not based on pure guesswork please)

Regards and many thanks in advance
Roy
Last edited by Musicbox on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by noajthan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Musicbox wrote:Hi Team and members..

Good news hearing hellonewhere managed to get their first UK passport in their married name still holding a foreign passport in maiden name.
I'm still in a in the situation that my Thai wife's passport is in her maiden name which we don't wish to cancel or change as she has family and land in Thailand which would be a nightmare and cost to change (if it even can). We've looked into changing but realise it's too much of a problem to do, so staying the same.

My question is shall we just get her Naturalisation in her maiden name and simply apply for her UK passport in her maiden name even though we're married with a different names and all her documents in the UK show her married name (driving licence, Bank, Insurance, Employment etc..) I don't know if they would put an observation in her passport stating she's married and also know as.... Seems like double identity all over again..

OR

Should do we apply for her Naturalisation in our married name and try and fight it out like hellonewhere has? It seems so crazy the HO and the HMPO don't agree on something which should be so logical to do with a marriage certificate as evidence :( I don't know which way to do her Naturalisation now. If ANYONE can help with sound advice, we'd appreciate it so much (not based on pure guesswork please)

Regards and many thanks in advance
Roy
Roy,
Everything we know is in this thread (or linked to it).
You can see the various successes there have been and how they were achieved.

HMPO is now showing itself capable of applying its new rules with a modicum of flexibility for the edge cases.

It just depends if you can persuade them that yours falls into that category too.
Suggest you contact the helpline & talk it through with them or better still do it in writing.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

mimimari26
Newly Registered
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by mimimari26 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:19 am

Dear noajthan

I have a question, after cancelation of the Philippines passport , did they add you wife previous name on the british passport as well?

like she also know as **** !

many thanks




quote="noajthan"]
Musicbox wrote:Hi Team and members..

Good news hearing hellonewhere managed to get their first UK passport in their married name still holding a foreign passport in maiden name.
I'm still in a in the situation that my Thai wife's passport is in her maiden name which we don't wish to cancel or change as she has family and land in Thailand which would be a nightmare and cost to change (if it even can). We've looked into changing but realise it's too much of a problem to do, so staying the same.

My question is shall we just get her Naturalisation in her maiden name and simply apply for her UK passport in her maiden name even though we're married with a different names and all her documents in the UK show her married name (driving licence, Bank, Insurance, Employment etc..) I don't know if they would put an observation in her passport stating she's married and also know as.... Seems like double identity all over again..

OR

Should do we apply for her Naturalisation in our married name and try and fight it out like hellonewhere has? It seems so crazy the HO and the HMPO don't agree on something which should be so logical to do with a marriage certificate as evidence :( I don't know which way to do her Naturalisation now. If ANYONE can help with sound advice, we'd appreciate it so much (not based on pure guesswork please)

Regards and many thanks in advance
Roy
Roy,
Everything we know is in this thread (or linked to it).
You can see the various successes there have been and how they were achieved.

HMPO is now showing itself capable of applying its new rules with a modicum of flexibility for the edge cases.

It just depends if you can persuade them that yours falls into that category too.
Suggest you contact the helpline & talk it through with them or better still do it in writing.

Good luck.[/quote]

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:24 am

mimimari26 wrote:Dear noajthan

I have a question, after cancelation of the Philippines passport , did they add you wife previous name on the british passport as well?

like she also know as **** !

many thanks
mimimari,
No, HMPO did not entertain that option for us (we did ask).
Passport is in married name only with no reference to former (maiden) name.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:04 am

noajthan wrote:mimimari,
No, HMPO did not entertain that option for us (we did ask).
Passport is in married name only with no reference to former (maiden) name.
The identity policy is a total nonsense really; she still uses both names in this country & maiden name in original home country (where UK has no jurisdiction).
All HMPO seemed to want to achieve was to suppress the foreign passport (which they did achieve).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ramgsk
Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:26 am
Location: London

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by ramgsk » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Wanted to share my experience too if this helps others.

We got my wife's passport after couple of months of application.

We mife had uncancelled Indian Passport with her maiden surname, we applied for the First British Passport with the married surname.

Had multiple communications and phone calls with the HMPO. To summarise
1) HMPO wanted us to show them two to three evidences of we using her married surname for official purposes (Which we did not have, we wrote HMPO to get our marriage certificate back which we sent with the application, got the name changed for NHS, Banks, Gas and Elec, and sent them the copies and the marriage certificate)
2) A signed statement that she would use her married surname for official purposes after getting the British Passport, and that we surrender the Indian Passport upon the receipt of British Passport and that we send the copy of the Surrender Certificate after the process
3)Any evidence that we contacted Indian Embassy that we would surrender our Indian Passport after receiving British Passport. Sent them HMPO the email chain I had with VFS helpline that we would surrender our Indian passport after receiving British Passport, and asking if we can get anything in writing from Indian Embassy - VFS response was standard - You need to submit British Passport to surrender Indian Passport. But HMPO considered this conversation. (I explained HMPO my various phone calls to Indian Embassy that they are not ready to give anything in writing)
- Ramgsk

Vic4Jenny
Newly Registered
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:35 am

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by Vic4Jenny » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:57 pm

noajthan wrote:
noajthan wrote:mimimari,
No, HMPO did not entertain that option for us (we did ask).
Passport is in married name only with no reference to former (maiden) name.
The identity policy is a total nonsense really; she still uses both names in this country & maiden name in original home country (where UK has no jurisdiction).
All HMPO seemed to want to achieve was to suppress the foreign passport (which they did achieve).

Hi noajthan,

I, like you, have a Filipina wife. She has applied for her citizenship, for which she is still awaiting the decision, a long drawn out process that requires patience. I'm guessing that she will have the same issue as you when applying for her first UK passport too. We have not updated her credentials with the Philippine authorities for the same reason as most people to maintain continuity in the process of applying for all UK visa's etc. i.e. the same applicant name as the passport throughout, including the citizenship certificate names. Tried to do everything using the KISS principal, doesn't seem like it will work in this case though!! My thought is that once she has received her citizenship, always the optimist, but before applying for the UK passport, to then go through the Philippine process of applying for dual citizenship, including the marriage notification, which then also requires the renewal of the Philippine passport to include change of name and an indication of dual citizenship. I'm guessing that this would the satisfy HMPO in respect of the other passport name being in the married name etc. I would like to apply for the UK passport immediately after making the Philippine application, as there is a 12 week lead time on getting the Philippine passport back from Manila, but I'm guessing that HMPO will require evidence that it has actually been done. Do you know if the Philippine embassy provides any official paperwork following the passport application that could be included with the UK passport Applucation? Please let me have your thoughts as to whether I'm heading in the right direction and if you think I might hit any hurdles. Many thanks in advance.

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:28 pm

Vic4Jenny wrote:Hi noajthan,

I, like you, have a Filipina wife. She has applied for her citizenship, for which she is still awaiting the decision, a long drawn out process that requires patience. I'm guessing that she will have the same issue as you when applying for her first UK passport too.

...

Do you know if the Philippine embassy provides any official paperwork following the passport application that could be included with the UK passport Applucation? Please let me have your thoughts as to whether I'm heading in the right direction and if you think I might hit any hurdles. Many thanks in advance.
Hello,
Your route makes sense & I believe it will work as you will eventually end up with all documents/both passports in married name.

One of your steps will have to be to reacquire the Philippine citizenship for your wife (if she wishes to maintain land & voting rights etc) after she receives her British naturalisation certificate (ie as per R.A.9225) - I think that may be what you meant by "applying for dual-citizenship".

Note: From memory, the embassy form to reacquire citizenship specifies that a British passport is to be submitted - suggest you check that point with the embassy as you won't yet have one :!:

We didn't adopt the same sequence as you plan as we had travel plans & knew we couldn't wait for the lengthy lead time on the PH passport.
(As it turned out the travel plans were ruined by HMPO anyway even without the additional step of getting the PH passport).

Last time we got a PH passport via the embassy it did take around 2.5 months.
(To avoid a return trip to London you can give them a Royal mail special delivery envelope to return the passport to you).

To your question: No, there is no real paperwork issued by the embassy in connection with passport application, just a flimsy receipt for the fee & with a reference number on it.
I suppose you could ask them for a letter to confirm your application.

Such ad hoc requests seem to confuse the officials somewhat but if you are persistent they may well agree (as they did for us for the special cancellation letter).

But don't forget, HMPO are only interested in seeing uncancelled passports; if you haven't actually been issued with the new Philippine one then you won't have a new one to submit to HMPO ( :!: )

Note: You should make sure the embassy actually cancels the original Philippine passport - then you won't have to submit the old one with the British passport application either.

(We only got trapped by the new policy as, despite my wife's PH passport becoming null & void by naturalising, it wasn't officially cancelled immediately; we didn't know or think it was necessary and that's how HMPO became aware of it & objected to the name on it).

If your wife has SSS you can update those details via the embassy too.

Hope it makes sense - mabuhay!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Musicbox
Newly Registered
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by Musicbox » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:44 am

This is driving me crazy with worry!!!
My wife is Thai and hold her Thai passport in her maiden name. She can't surrender it nor wish to change to our married name as this affects her family heritage and chances of owning land back in Thailand ( Plus since 2003 a ruling by a constitutional court, Thai women no longer have the obligation to adopt their husbands surname after marriage).
So I wonder if its just simpler to get her Naturalisation certificate in her maiden name and just send in her matching passport to get her UK passport in her maiden name and be done with although being married. I would simply show any parties in the UK our marriage certificate to book holidays etc..
I don't know if I'd hit the same problem with regards applying for her Naturalisation certificate if the see she has a married name.. seems they don't care so much what you want you put for the name to be issued with (married or maiden) than all the fuss HMPO require... This all seems so stupid as she'd still effectively be using two identities....
I'm assuming by all the phone calls I've put into the HO that her Naturalisation can be done on her maiden name, there again some agents give conflicting answers which is soooooo helpful (NOT)

So if anyone thinks can't be done, love to hear from you as the HO said once you get your naturalisation done in her maiden name, you can't change it :(

Another day in paradise
Roy

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:55 pm

Musicbox wrote:This is driving me crazy with worry!!!
My wife is Thai and hold her Thai passport in her maiden name. She can't surrender it nor wish to change to our married name as this affects her family heritage and chances of owning land back in Thailand ( Plus since 2003 a ruling by a constitutional court, Thai women no longer have the obligation to adopt their husbands surname after marriage).
So I wonder if its just simpler to get her Naturalisation certificate in her maiden name and just send in her matching passport to get her UK passport in her maiden name and be done with although being married. I would simply show any parties in the UK our marriage certificate to book holidays etc..
I don't know if I'd hit the same problem with regards applying for her Naturalisation certificate if the see she has a married name.. seems they don't care so much what you want you put for the name to be issued with (married or maiden) than all the fuss HMPO require... This all seems so stupid as she'd still effectively be using two identities....
I'm assuming by all the phone calls I've put into the HO that her Naturalisation can be done on her maiden name, there again some agents give conflicting answers which is soooooo helpful (NOT)

So if anyone thinks can't be done, love to hear from you as the HO said once you get your naturalisation done in her maiden name, you can't change it :(

Another day in paradise
Roy
Roy,
I have no doubt your wife will acquire a British passport in the end.

HO (naturalisation) & HMPO do appear to be operating to different rules.
I believe HO will naturalise your wife in maiden name.
So you could follow the path of least resistance as you outlined - go for passport in maiden name too.
Which name is used in practice after that (maiden or married - and in which country), HMPO will not know.

Or you can mount a campaign as hellonowhere did & succeeded with; that is to have an observation put in the passport recording maiden name but with passport issued in married name.

Ref: british-citizenship/passport-refused-un ... l#p1225431

Details in hellonowhere posting above, but it's obviously harder, takes longer & involves stress & uncertainty. It seems to be done on a case by case basis & may be denied if HMPO won't play ball.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:59 pm

ramgsk wrote:Wanted to share my experience too if this helps others.

We got my wife's passport after couple of months of application.

We mife had uncancelled Indian Passport with her maiden surname, we applied for the First British Passport with the married surname.

Had multiple communications and phone calls with the HMPO. To summarise
1) HMPO wanted us to show them two to three evidences of we using her married surname for official purposes (Which we did not have, we wrote HMPO to get our marriage certificate back which we sent with the application, got the name changed for NHS, Banks, Gas and Elec, and sent them the copies and the marriage certificate)

2) A signed statement that she would use her married surname for official purposes after getting the British Passport, and that we surrender the Indian Passport upon the receipt of British Passport and that we send the copy of the Surrender Certificate after the process

3)Any evidence that we contacted Indian Embassy that we would surrender our Indian Passport after receiving British Passport. Sent them HMPO the email chain I had with VFS helpline that we would surrender our Indian passport after receiving British Passport, and asking if we can get anything in writing from Indian Embassy - VFS response was standard - You need to submit British Passport to surrender Indian Passport. But HMPO considered this conversation. (I explained HMPO my various phone calls to Indian Embassy that they are not ready to give anything in writing)
+1

Very informative & sure to help others.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Marii
Newly Registered
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by Marii » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Musicbox wrote:This is driving me crazy with worry!!!
My wife is Thai and hold her Thai passport in her maiden name. She can't surrender it nor wish to change to our married name as this affects her family heritage and chances of owning land back in Thailand ( Plus since 2003 a ruling by a constitutional court, Thai women no longer have the obligation to adopt their husbands surname after marriage).
So I wonder if its just simpler to get her Naturalisation certificate in her maiden name and just send in her matching passport to get her UK passport in her maiden name and be done with although being married. I would simply show any parties in the UK our marriage certificate to book holidays etc..
I don't know if I'd hit the same problem with regards applying for her Naturalisation certificate if the see she has a married name.. seems they don't care so much what you want you put for the name to be issued with (married or maiden) than all the fuss HMPO require... This all seems so stupid as she'd still effectively be using two identities....
I'm assuming by all the phone calls I've put into the HO that her Naturalisation can be done on her maiden name, there again some agents give conflicting answers which is soooooo helpful (NOT)

So if anyone thinks can't be done, love to hear from you as the HO said once you get your naturalisation done in her maiden name, you can't change it :(

Another day in paradise
Roy
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... LUME_2.pdf

Look at this link. I think your wife can not apply for naturalisation in her marriage name anymore if her home passport still on her maiden name. Home office now use same rules. Easyer option for her to get naturalisation and British passport on her maiden name.

Brusselsbabe
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: dual nationality - different names

Post by Brusselsbabe » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Im having problems with the passport office because my 14 year old son's German passport only gives 2 of his forenames and doesn't include the third. This was due to lack of space - we were told only to fill in 2 names on his German application. The passport office say they can't issue a new passport for him because the names are different. I feel like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall - the names are not different, it's just that the one passport omits one of his 3 forenames. This is crazy - have they nothing better to waste their time on ? They say he may be using more that one identity. This may be hard seeing as he has the same forenames, surname, date of birth, place of birth, address, photo and signature. I think he may have chosen a slightly more different identity if he was up to no good ! That's once he's finished his homework !

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: dual nationality - different names

Post by noajthan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Brusselsbabe wrote:Im having problems with the passport office because my 14 year old son's German passport only gives 2 of his forenames and doesn't include the third. This was due to lack of space - we were told only to fill in 2 names on his German application. The passport office say they can't issue a new passport for him because the names are different.

...
Other people have reported some small wins when attempting to sort out small differences in forenames with HMPO.

If still a headache suggest contacting HMPO in writing & trying to work it out.
(Don't rely on helpline conversations).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

em-em
Junior Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by em-em » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi noajthan,
I just have a question about your wife's LIUK test as I need to get one.I meant to do it on February this year but I have no time to study and can't concentrate as I got 2 little children.So I applied for FLRM instead and been granted.My husband wants me to take an exam next month but I am not prepared and feel pressured if I think of LIUK test.I live in London and you mentioned that your wife is a Filipino and so am I but my English grammar is not good as her especially yours lol :D.Any help please?Thank you!

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:34 pm

em-em wrote:Hi noajthan,
I just have a question about your wife's LIUK test as I need to get one.I meant to do it on February this year but I have no time to study and can't concentrate as I got 2 little children.So I applied for FLRM instead and been granted.My husband wants me to take an exam next month but I am not prepared and feel pressured if I think of LIUK test.I live in London and you mentioned that your wife is a Filipino and so am I but my English grammar is not good as her especially yours lol :D.Any help please?Thank you!
em-em,
Well my wife is now very fluent in English & has learned all sorts of strange expressions and slang through working in the local community.

But around 5 years ago, just after she came here, she was very intimidated by the thought of learning all that strange information & by the thought of taking an 'Examination' in the UK.
(She had very little background knowledge about English culture & traditions at that time).

Every day I went to work & I left her studying hard and writing pages & pages of notes all about LITUK.
Finally she confessed she wasn't really able to learn it; she just wanted to show me she was striving so hard.
But it wasn't sticking in her mind as it seemed (to her) to be just a jumble of nonsense.

So we tried a different approach.
We used an old cassette tape recorder and she read out & recorded page after page of stuff from the book onto a tape.
Then she replayed all the tapes over & over during any spare time she had.

In this way she was able to memorise everything.
She took the test & passed first-time with almost 100%.

Maybe that kind of approach will work for you too - worth a try anyway.

Mabuhay!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

em-em
Junior Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by em-em » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:05 pm

I'm impressed! I've been in the UK since May 2012 through marriage visa and applied for FLRM after that.LIUK test worries me a lot plus my husband's company is going to close after Christmas so I don't want anyone to take my family away from me especially my children coz they're always looking for an excuse to fail the application in terms of financial.Lucky her! Thanks for your reply mate and have a nice day! :D

Marii
Newly Registered
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by Marii » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:23 pm

I am sorry to intervene in the conversation. em-em, your knowledge of english grammar doesn't matter for your life in Uk test. If you only can read and understand what you read, this would be enough. And I am sure you can, if you could write english. To pass the test you should make time to study the book, in which ever way is better for you. In my experience, I read the book and did sample tests on computer. It will not come without any effort. English culture & traditions knowledge doesn't help. My english husband tried some of my sample computer test when I studied, and almost failed it. :)
P.S. I took old Life in UK test.

LiaDoe
Newly Registered
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by LiaDoe » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Update ,
Finally, after months of hassle I have received my first British passport on my current surname and still holding a foreign passport on my previous name .
My previous name has been added on observation page : "The holder also holds (country) passport in the name ...... ".
I suggested to HMPO to issue me a British passport with indicating my previous surname on the observation page. Next day I received a letter from HMPO : " ....HMPO will under the circumstances now issue your passport with an observation showing you also hold a ...... passport in another Identity."
Passport was received today.

Thanks guys for your advice. It's been really useful.
Best of luck to all.

noajthan wrote:Another encouraging sign of common sense being applied by HMPO for someone (German) with two names & no way to change one:
...going through a similar issue. I have dual nationality and German law doesn't recognise voluntary deed poll name changes so I can't update my name on my German passport. HMPO sent the standard template reply regarding this and before reading this site, I emailed back suggesting the (rather simple!) solution of adding my previous name as an observation
Update on the above comment: HMPO resolved my issue without too much hassle. Nicely surprised. My situation might be different though as I already have 6 years' evidence that I use (only) my legal name and I also asked my local MP to contact them
See https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ment-62763

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:38 pm

LiaDoe wrote:Update ,
Finally, after months of hassle I have received my first British passport on my current surname and still holding a foreign passport on my previous name .
My previous name has been added on observation page : "The holder also holds (country) passport in the name ...... ".
I suggested to HMPO to issue me a British passport with indicating my previous surname on the observation page. Next day I received a letter from HMPO : " ....HMPO will under the circumstances now issue your passport with an observation showing you also hold a ...... passport in another Identity."
Passport was received today.

Thanks guys for your advice. It's been really useful.
Best of luck to all.
Great news, very pleased for you.

Glad to hear of an outbreak of common sense within HMPO (especially after you were initially refused).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Post Reply
cron