Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ziuta

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by Ziuta » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:55 pm

I eventually got my passport and guess what it was misspelled :evil:

I ended up registering my marriage in Poland, getting Polish passport in my married name and then getting British passport. Now I have to resend everything because of HMPO inability to read application form and transferring details. I was also told that I have to pay for the return post, it is a joke, their mistake they are paying.

Best of luck to those struggling.
Applied: 02/06/2015
Fee deducted: 13/06/2015
Acknowledgement letter: 16/06/2015 (dated 13/06)
Biometrics: 16/06/2015
Approval: 28/11/2015

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:04 pm

Ziuta wrote:I eventually got my passport and guess what it was misspelled :evil:

I ended up registering my marriage in Poland, getting Polish passport in my married name and then getting British passport. Now I have to resend everything because of HMPO inability to read application form and transferring details. I was also told that I have to pay for the return post, it is a joke, their mistake they are paying.

Best of luck to those struggling.
You have had quite a journey; glad to know you are on last lap and will soon be free of such Kafkaesque bureaucracy.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

C1947
Newly Registered

Post by C1947 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi to all you guys on this forum who have given me some brilliant advice on this subject although i have been i silent reader.I would like to say a very big thank you.
My daughter in law is thai and has had to jump through all the hoops like everyone else to gain her british passport.
Her thai passport has maiden name and her thai id card has married name,her bp always had her maiden name as per passport.
Her citizenship cert was applied for in married name and was granted in married name,we used ncs and lady said if she applied for british passport in married name she would recieve passport in married name although thai passport was still in maiden name.
I informed the lady about new rule stating that british passport had to match thai passport but she was adamant that if she applied in married name she would be fine.
I was still a bit unsure so when daughter in law filled in passport form she entered married name and sent proof such as thai id/marriage cert/national insurance cert/council tax bill, all in married name.
She also requested on form if she could have british passport in married name.
Conclusion is she has just come out of interview office in liverpool and has been told her passport will be in married name.
I know alot of you guys have been having trouble with this and maybe the rules have been relaxed a bit, but i dont know what swung this for her unless it was her thai id in married name or a bit of grovelling on the form asking for married name.
All the interview questions what some of you kind people have posted helped her enormously.
Thank you again and with a bit of perserverence passport was given in married name.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Did they put her maiden name in the observation field in the passport?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

C1947
Newly Registered

Post by C1947 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:38 am

Hi Vinny
Thats what she asked for but until she recieves the passport i dont know.
I will update you when passport arrives.

Sylwianotts
Newly Registered

Post by Sylwianotts » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:22 am

FighterBoy wrote:How did they know about this cancelled Polish passport in a different name? Did you send it to them or did the birth certificate amendment flag up suspicion?

I concur with those in the thread saying the government should be taken to court and have this injustice put right.
Hi

I sent it by mistake but immediately after sent a letter explaining it is cancelled. But they refused to ever accept this fact, to run a check etc etc.

Sylwianotts
Newly Registered

Post by Sylwianotts » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:03 am

yoshi_jp wrote:Sylwia,

You've obviously done everything that you were supposed to do. I think they are just taking a p###.

You can write to the head of the HMPO:

Mark Thomson
Director General,
Her Majesty's Passport Office
2 Marsham Street, London, SW1P 4DF

It's probably a good idea to use a recorded delivery and also write on the envelope, "Confidential - only to be opened by the addressee" or some such stuff.

If you want to win, you need to take the king. I've used this approach to deal with mobile phone companies, gas/elec suppliers, etc when they were telling nonsense.

--

Yoshi
Thanks Yoshi, that's what I will do.

As for the last few weeks, the HMPO manager I have been emailing back and forth said that I either 1)apply for a new Polish passport first or 2) get an email from the Consulate confirming that the expired Polish passport is cancelled and that a new Polish passport would only be issued in the new name. He said on several occasions that email would be fine. I rang the Passport office to confirm and got shouted at by a bloke saying that only letter would be accepted, but as I mentioned that one of the managers stated he would accept email, he said that would be fine.

Anyway, I sent the official statement from the Consulate to the manager via email confirming that the passport is cancelled and obtaining one in old name is not possible, and that to get a new one I would have to register the Birth in the Polish system first (the first temporary passport- that is now cancelled-is only issued to kids under 12 months without the need of registering the birth) etc. SO basically everything he/The HMPO asked for, in the form the asked for. The manager came back saying that although they received the requested statement, that I should still apply for a new Polish passport first since the statement says that I can. I replied to him attaching his previous email stating that his new request contradicts with what he said before plus what HMPO said so far, he ignored my emails since. I have forwarded the actual letter from the Consulate a few days ago (they sent me the statement both via email and a letter).

My MP has not heard anything since the 14th when they told him that "the case is complex and was forwarded to the Commonwealth Office for clarification".

I submitted an official complaint to them back in March, got a confirmation, the deadline has passed and no reply, so a sent a follow up, again a confirmation and no reply, another follow up, deadline passed and no reply again... Another follow up, finally they replied but with a generic "sorry you've not received a reply, feel free to submit a complaint bla bla" so basically I would be back to square one. I requested that they review the complaint but not holding my breath.

I have submitted a FOI request regarding the cancelled passports on www.whatdotheyknow.com , deadline of 20 days, no reply. I have now requested an internal review as per the procedure on the website. They have until the end of May to reply, but so far not even received an acknowledgment (and the requests made before and after mine all did)>

They are ignoring me as much as they can. The beaurocracy is making my blood boil but I am not giving up.

Sylwianotts
Newly Registered

Post by Sylwianotts » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:55 am

PS and another annoying thing, I didn't receive any correspondence from my examiner since the initial "please align your other passport in line with your application" mid March, just before I sent them the first letter stating that the Polish passport is cancelled. Since then , no letters. Whenever they change their mind and made a new request, I had to phone o find out. They tell me each time that if something is required, the examiner will contact me directly, but he/she never did, not to ask for renouncing my Polish citizenship, not to confirm that the polish passport is cancelled, not for the Consulate's statement, not to let me know that it's been forwarded to the common Wealth office, I had to ring almost every day and find out myself from various staff plus I would occasionally get an email from the manager with his own ideas, contradicting with what the advisors said on the phone. SO the examiner either is not bothered or avoiding to write anything that could be used against him when I make an appeal to the Ombudsman via the MP...

Enka
Newly Registered

Post by Enka » Mon May 02, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi Sylvia,

Oh I feel for you as I'm going through the same nightmare as you. I have applied for my and my sons first British passport at the beginning of March. We used post office to do all the checks and I have read the booklet I was given by post office number ILB37 10.15 and there was nothing there about changing our names on Polish passport. So you can imagine how annoyed I was when they told me, they are not going to issue British passport. Since then I have phoned them at least 30 times, I was accused by one of their advisors of being a criminal, despite the fact I have been working for the NHS for the past 9 years and have my DBS checks done regularly. Every single time we are given different advise i.e. - cancel your polish passport - which I did - not good enough, renounce polish citizenship- which I'm not going to do, change my sons name and mine in Poland and then apply for a polish passport under new name. What is the point of me having 2 passports ? I live here and I only need one passport. On top of that my situation is little bit more complicated. My son is 16 and to complete his name change in Poland I have to have a signature of his biological father. Although I was given custody of my son and I was able to change his name in UK, the law in Poland is totally different. I have no idea where my ex is as he has not been in touch with us for over 10 years. So I have to go to a court in UK to get permission for a name change for my son.
We have made a formal complaint against passport office. The front line advisors are not trained enough, often they are rude and they make you feel like a second category citizen. There is no consistency and they lacking common sense. We are awaiting response from them.

Sylwianotts
Newly Registered

Post by Sylwianotts » Mon May 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Enka wrote:Hi Sylvia,

Oh I feel for you as I'm going through the same nightmare as you. I have applied for my and my sons first British passport at the beginning of March. We used post office to do all the checks and I have read the booklet I was given by post office number ILB37 10.15 and there was nothing there about changing our names on Polish passport. So you can imagine how annoyed I was when they told me, they are not going to issue British passport. Since then I have phoned them at least 30 times, I was accused by one of their advisors of being a criminal, despite the fact I have been working for the NHS for the past 9 years and have my DBS checks done regularly. Every single time we are given different advise i.e. - cancel your polish passport - which I did - not good enough, renounce polish citizenship- which I'm not going to do, change my sons name and mine in Poland and then apply for a polish passport under new name. What is the point of me having 2 passports ? I live here and I only need one passport. On top of that my situation is little bit more complicated. My son is 16 and to complete his name change in Poland I have to have a signature of his biological father. Although I was given custody of my son and I was able to change his name in UK, the law in Poland is totally different. I have no idea where my ex is as he has not been in touch with us for over 10 years. So I have to go to a court in UK to get permission for a name change for my son.
We have made a formal complaint against passport office. The front line advisors are not trained enough, often they are rude and they make you feel like a second category citizen. There is no consistency and they lacking common sense. We are awaiting response from them.
Hi,

They tend to be rude on the phone, yes. Especially when you ask them to quote any policy to back up their requests and decisions. I've still not received a reply to my formal complaint, so if you do, please let us know the response.

They apparently have a "knowledge base" for each country, I got the manager to read the some bits ftkm it and he proceeded to tell me about what the capitol is etc... Seriously? How about the basic passport info, like all expired passports are cancelled automatically, or the fact that to obtain a first full passport for a child you need to present the BC etc... Then the issues wouldn't arise.

Here are my FOI requests if anyone wants to follow them,

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-538949

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-537635

No reply or even an acknowledgment to either, despite the deadline passing on one of them or the fact that requests made before or after mine were all at least acknowledged even the next day. So now I am complaining the the Information Commissioner as per procedures but that will take time and they still will probably claim they've never received it (despite my follow ups both on site l, via the phone and several emails to different recipient in HMPO). I'm like a bad penny to them.

The stress caused by this is terrible but I'm not quitting!

C1947
Newly Registered

Post by C1947 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi guys
My daughter in law has recieved her british passport in her married name.Her thai passport has her maiden name.There are no comments on the observation page, so she has been very lucky to get passport in her married name.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri May 06, 2016 11:11 am

C1947 wrote:so she has been very lucky to get passport in her married name.
+1
Also shows that there is no consistency in how caseworkers follow HMPO's policy regarding this issue.
Before commencing to post on this website, please read these important announcements carefully.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Marii
Newly Registered

Post by Marii » Sun May 08, 2016 8:22 pm

C1947 wrote:Hi guys
My daughter in law has recieved her british passport in her married name.Her thai passport has her maiden name.There are no comments on the observation page, so she has been very lucky to get passport in her married name.
I think her application was successful because she haven't submitted her thai passport which contains her maiden name.
However, It is clear in the guidance applicant must submit all uncancelled passport and I would not recommend anyone to apply without passport.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun May 08, 2016 11:04 pm

Marii wrote:I think her application was successful because she haven't submitted her thai passport which contains her maiden name.
However, It is clear in the guidance applicant must submit all uncancelled passport and I would not recommend anyone to apply without passport.
If maiden passport was not submitted that could explain the relatively painless and positive result.
Had the uncancelled passport in maiden name been submitted it would have been very likely to have been snagged too.

C1947
Newly Registered

Post by C1947 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:40 am

Hi guys
Her thai passport with her maiden name was included in her application as it asks for it,but she backed it up with thai id in married name and all her documents in uk that she uses married name.
She did write a letter also asking for her maiden name to be put on observation page but they didnt do that,there wasnt any observations on that page of passport.
Also thailand does accept name change on thai passports .

C1947
Newly Registered

Post by C1947 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:50 am

Forgot to mention, her naturalisation certificate was also granted in married name as check and send lady advised her to apply for it and there woudnt be a problem with passport in married name.
She did tell the lady at the time about the rule changes concerning name changes but the lady was adamant that she would recieve british passport in married name.
Her previous brps were in maiden name.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon May 09, 2016 8:20 am

C1947 wrote:Hi guys
Her thai passport with her maiden name was included in her application as it asks for it,but she backed it up with thai id in married name and all her documents in uk that she uses married name.
She did write a letter also asking for her maiden name to be put on observation page but they didnt do that,there wasnt any observations on that page of passport.
Also thailand does accept name change on thai passports .
Perhaps there has been a recent internal (& undocumented) shift in HO policy then.
Will be interesting to see how the next applicant with similar circumstances gets on.

C1947
Newly Registered

Post by C1947 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:03 am

Hi noajthan
Yes i find it hard to believe as well
Maybe there has been a change and not documented because we all know the name changes regarding maiden names was not very well documented.
But for going on these forums i would not of been aware of this rule.
I do think her thai id card in married name helped as she stated on application thats what she is known as in Thailand.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:30 pm

noajthan wrote:Perhaps there has been a recent internal (& undocumented) shift in HO policy then..
Whether or not there was an internal policy shift, there was an extant external policy in place since 1948:
Universal Declaration of Human Rights wrote: Article 13, (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including their own, and to return to their own country.
There is no country on earth, and likely not even any airline or other from of international travel to that country, that will allow someone into that country through a controlled border without a valid passport or secure state ID (such as the UK BRP). This rule effectively blocked the right of new UK citizens to leave their own country, in particular newly married women who lost their citizenship upon acquisition of their new citizenship. Not only was this rule heavily biased with regards to women in the UK, a country that doesn't exactly have the most sterling record with regards to the rights of women, this rule was also 100% biased with regards to ethnicity, a civil rights issue the UK is still struggling with.

In America, this would have been an open-and-shut class action lawsuit. But we are notoriously litigious in nature (forgive my stereotyping). Even so, I'm still surprised that a good number of women disproportionately affected by this haven't sued the UK government. I cannot conceive of any defense that the UK could come up with to defend this behavior.

This kind of rule is something I might expect from a third world Islamic country harshly applying some relic of sharia law in order to further oppress is female population. Not a modern 1st world European country that has often times proudly gotten up on its high horse to preach internationally on such topics.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Wed May 11, 2016 8:05 pm

ouflak1 wrote:There is no country on earth, and likely not even any airline or other from of international travel to that country, that will allow someone into that country through a controlled border without a valid passport or secure state ID (such as the UK BRP).
What law requires a British citizen to enter the Common Travel Area at a port? He is free to swim ashore at most points along the coastline.