ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post graduate Diploma (English test)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, Zimba

Locked
hunpak
Member of Standing
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am
Location: London

Post graduate Diploma (English test)

Post by hunpak » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi
i passed a Post graduate diploma from westminsiter university (2011) is it acceptable as a proof of english proficiency?
Next Mission
Get my MOM EEA Resident Document

hunpak
Member of Standing
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am
Location: London

when can i apply?

Post by hunpak » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi,

When can i apply for my neutralization?

i got my PR in july 2015 can i apply few months before or i have to wait till july 2016?

Thanks
Next Mission
Get my MOM EEA Resident Document

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: when can i apply?

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:54 pm

hunpak wrote:Hi,

When can i apply for my neutralization?

i got my PR in july 2015 can i apply few months before or i have to wait till july 2016?

Thanks
Depends if you are married to a BC.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 72107
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: when can i apply?

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:01 pm

Scanning through your previous posts, you appear to be married to an EU citizen.

Therefore you will have to wait the full 12 months on PR before you can apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LilyLalilu
Senior Member
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 8:44 am

Re: Post graduate Diploma (English test)

Post by LilyLalilu » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:20 pm

I can't find anything specifically about the PgDip on the government website but given that it is a qualification at NVQ L7 and thus higher than a Bachelor's degree (NVQ L6) which they accept, it may be accepted.

You may want to wait for confirmation from senior members/moderators though as I am not a 100% sure :)
Last edited by LilyLalilu on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

hunpak
Member of Standing
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am
Location: London

Re: when can i apply?

Post by hunpak » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:21 pm

CR001 wrote:Scanning through your previous posts, you appear to be married to an EU citizen.

Therefore you will have to wait the full 12 months on PR before you can apply for citizenship.
Hi Thanks for clarifying that 8) gives me more time to pass the life in uk test (history bit and remmbering the dates is not my thing)
Next Mission
Get my MOM EEA Resident Document

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 72107
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: when can i apply?

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:23 pm

and don't forget the Level B1 English requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 72107
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Post graduate Diploma (English test)

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:24 pm

hunpak wrote:Hi
i passed a Post graduate diploma from westminsiter university (2011) is it acceptable as a proof of english proficiency?
Only a degree (BSc, BA, MSc, etc) is acceptable for the English requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hunpak
Member of Standing
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am
Location: London

Re: Post graduate Diploma (English test)

Post by hunpak » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:27 pm

LilyLalilu wrote:I can't find anything specifically about the PgDip on the government website but given that it is a qualification at NVQ L7 and thus higher than a Bachelor's degree (NVQ L6) which they accept, it should be fine.

You may want to wait for confirmation from senior members/moderators though as I am not a 100% sure :)
Hi thanks for that as its a uk qualification do i need to attach it with neutralization application or get a letter confirming it was taught in English and all that?
Next Mission
Get my MOM EEA Resident Document

hunpak
Member of Standing
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am
Location: London

Re: Post graduate Diploma (English test)

Post by hunpak » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:30 pm

CR001 wrote:
hunpak wrote:Hi
i passed a Post graduate diploma from westminsiter university (2011) is it acceptable as a proof of english proficiency?
Only a degree (BSc, BA, MSc, etc) is acceptable for the English requirement.
could you point me to a resource which say that as it seems pretty unreasonable.
Next Mission
Get my MOM EEA Resident Document

noajthan
Moderator
Posts: 14911
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: when can i apply?

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:35 pm

RE: degree taught/researched in English:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

See also HO guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf
- page 33 & 36 may float your boat as it refers to diplomas.

Note dependency on degree-level entry prerequisites to the diploma.
Last edited by noajthan on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 72107
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: when can i apply?

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hunpak
Member of Standing
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am
Location: London

Re: when can i apply?

Post by hunpak » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:49 pm

respectfully i think you are wrong i just checked on point based calculator and i was awarded 10 points

see below

http://i66.tinypic.com/25576ux.jpg
Next Mission
Get my MOM EEA Resident Document

hunpak
Member of Standing
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am
Location: London

Re: when can i apply?

Post by hunpak » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:26 pm

noajthan wrote:RE: degree taught/researched in English:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

See also HO guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf
- page 33 & 36 may float your boat as it refers to diplomas.

Note dependency on degree-level entry prerequisites to the diploma.
i just got off the phone from home office they said they will accept my Post Graduate diploma.
Next Mission
Get my MOM EEA Resident Document

LilyLalilu
Senior Member
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 8:44 am

Re: when can i apply?

Post by LilyLalilu » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Even though a PgDip is just an intermediate award, it is still a degree so it makes sense that they accept it.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

hunpak
Member of Standing
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am
Location: London

Re: when can i apply?

Post by hunpak » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks,

all we need to do is goto the calculator and print out the points it allocates you. i think Mods should clarify this for others
Next Mission
Get my MOM EEA Resident Document

hunpak
Member of Standing
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am
Location: London

Re: Post graduate Diploma (English test)

Post by hunpak » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm that HO accepts pg diplomas as proof of English, I sent my diploma and they accepted it as a proof.
Next Mission
Get my MOM EEA Resident Document

Sunlight17
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Re: Post graduate Diploma (English test)

Post by Sunlight17 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:23 pm

hunpak wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:05 pm
Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm that HO accepts pg diplomas as proof of English, I sent my diploma and they accepted it as a proof.
Thanks hunpak for sharing your experience. This is very comforting to know as I am applying for settlement for my wife based on PGDip. Fingers crossed!

User avatar
bruteforce
Senior Member
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:15 pm
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: when can i apply?

Post by bruteforce » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:06 pm

hunpak wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:49 pm
respectfully i think you are wrong i just checked on point based calculator and i was awarded 10 points

see below

http://i66.tinypic.com/25576ux.jpg
point based calculator has been taken off for some time I believe. I don't know if you have been looking at some official website or not.

hunpak
Member of Standing
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 am
Location: London

Re: when can i apply?

Post by hunpak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:06 pm
hunpak wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:49 pm
respectfully i think you are wrong i just checked on point based calculator and i was awarded 10 points

see below

http://i66.tinypic.com/25576ux.jpg
point based calculator has been taken off for some time I believe. I don't know if you have been looking at some official website or not.
It was available when I made the application and tbh this was only for reference. I have now British passport few less headaches in life.
Next Mission
Get my MOM EEA Resident Document

Locked
cron