ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Process to get Children British Passport (Born before ILR)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

secuser
Newly Registered

Process to get Children British Passport (Born before ILR)

Post by secuser » Mon May 10, 2021 11:09 pm

Hi, I have a newborn in UK who has got UK birth certificate and I received my ILR 2 months after his birth. Now, trying to work out the process to get him UK passport followed with OCI so can travel to India.

a) Do I have to fill MN1 /British citizenship form for him before I apply for his UK passport as he doesn't have any citizenship yet, please?

b) If yes, MN1 has criteria of 2 referees who known for 3 years plus professionals. I have friends over 25 and working in the IT industry with a Manager, Lead designation, would both referees from IT profession work?

c) it has criteria of vising visa center for biometric, which seems risky for baby in the current situation of a pandemic. Not sure for under 1, if this is mandatory or any alternate approach is an option.

Thank you.

secret.simon

Re: Process to get Children British Passport (Born before ILR)

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 10, 2021 11:28 pm

secuser wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:09 pm
a) Do I have to fill MN1 /British citizenship form for him before I apply for his UK passport as he doesn't have any citizenship yet, please?
Yes.

You can apply for a British passport after you have got the child's registration certificate.

So, essentially the process is MN1 > registration certificate > passport > OCI.

I reckon the process will take about six months to a year.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue May 11, 2021 12:36 am

b)
For child applicants at least one of the referees must be a person who has dealt with the child in a professional role such as a teacher, doctor, health visitor or social worker. Where a child cannot provide a referee who has dealt with them in a professional capacity and has provided documents to show that they have attempted to do so, you can accept 2 referees who meet the criteria for referees on adult applications.
Page 10:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 2.0ext.pdf

c) Biometrics appointment is a must. UKVCAS centres are covid secure and run based on appointment system. The centres run at a reduced capacity to incorporate social distancing.
The baby must attend the biometrics centre for a digital photo only.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

secuser
Newly Registered

Post by secuser » Tue May 11, 2021 10:44 am

Thank you, for clarifying.

I am submitting MN1 online form in this case (child born before ILR holding no passport, citizenship).

Following other topics responded in this forum, filling the form as Child is the applicant so providing his details.

Question:
a) In MN1 form, under "Country of nationality" of the child would it be "UK" as birth is in UK or "India" following parents nationality.

b) Assuming a birth certificate, not a valid identity card, hence the answer to "Do you have a valid national identity card?" is No. But due to this answer, it's asking "Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification."

Thank you.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 11, 2021 11:52 am

secuser wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:44 am
a) In MN1 form, under "Country of nationality" of the child would it be "UK" as birth is in UK or "India" following parents nationality.
By definition, it can't be the UK as the child is not a British citizen. If it were, there would be no need to submit a Form MN1, would there?

As I understand from online research, Indian citizenship does not pass on automatically to the children born outside India of Indian citizens. They have to be registered as Indian citizens with the Indian High Commission.

If you have done so, then list it as Indian.

If you have not registered the child as an Indian citizen, the child's nationality is "Stateless".
secuser wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:44 am
b) Assuming a birth certificate, not a valid identity card, hence the answer to "Do you have a valid national identity card?" is No. But due to this answer, it's asking "Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification."
State the reasons, that the child has not yet had a reason to apply for a valid form of identification due to its age and due to the fact that neither the parents nor the child have any immediate plans to travel out of the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue May 11, 2021 1:44 pm

Adding on to what @secret.simon said, many Indian parents (on the forum) have selected “Indian” for the child’s Nationality irrespective of them being registered with Indian authorities or not and have successfully registered their children as British. No documentary proof is required in support of it.

This question is not important for a child who is entitled to be registered as British.

The National ID question is not important either. Select no and state that the child is born in UK and has a UK birth certificate for identification purposes. For a UK born, UK birth certificate is enough to prove identity.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

secuser
Newly Registered

Post by secuser » Wed May 12, 2021 11:32 pm

Thank you.

a) Parent surname field is mandatory in online forrm but parent doesn't have surname on the passport. So shall I mention the first name in the last name field as well?

b) In documents submission section:
- Proof of parental responsibility will be a copy of child birth certificate?

c) In documents submission section:-
If child has a passport then provide this with your application. If child does not have a passport then you must provide another officially-issued identity document. This could include an official travel document or national identity card.
Child has only birth certificate, would that be sufficient?

Thank you.

secuser
Newly Registered

Post by secuser » Wed May 12, 2021 11:38 pm

d) For 2 referees, for child one to be professional such as a doctor, health care but not getting hold of. Is there any example cover letter that you can share for reference so can use to explain 2 referees are over 25 holding British citizen are professionals in IT?

Thank you.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu May 13, 2021 12:52 am

secuser wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:32 pm
Thank you.

a) Parent surname field is mandatory in online forrm but parent doesn't have surname on the passport. So shall I mention the first name in the last name field as well?
If parent does not have a surname, you can not mention the surname as the first name as it will be not correct. Is there not a way to bypass the question without entering? Just proceed without entering?

b) In documents submission section:
- Proof of parental responsibility will be a copy of child birth certificate?
Yes. Apart from that, parent(s) consent form is required also. The system will give you a link to download that. Both parent(s) sign.

c) In documents submission section:-
If child has a passport then provide this with your application. If child does not have a passport then you must provide another officially-issued identity document. This could include an official travel document or national identity card.
Child has only birth certificate, would that be sufficient?
Yes

Thank you.
Last edited by CULLINAN on Thu May 13, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 am

secuser wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:38 pm
d) For 2 referees, for child one to be professional such as a doctor, health care but not getting hold of. Is there any example cover letter that you can share for reference so can use to explain 2 referees are over 25 holding British citizen are professionals in IT?

Thank you.
Try to contact the GP and health visitor, minister of religion etc first. If they refuse, add a cover letter and explain the same. HO is not strict when it comes to referees in case of young babies/children. Arrange referees as per the adult criteria then. It should be okay. No template is needed. Simply explain briefly in your own style.

secuser
Newly Registered

Post by secuser » Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pm

Thank you.

For a), there is no way to skip the field blank. While in other visa application forms, it allows filling just first name if the user doesn't have a surname.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu May 13, 2021 9:49 pm

secuser wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pm
Thank you.

For a), there is no way to skip the field blank. While in other visa application forms, it allows filling just first name if the user doesn't have a surname.
If the form does not let you proceed without entering a surname, try entering N/A to proceed or just enter the first name and clarify in the notes/cover letter. The same name should match on all other official documents (i.e. no surname).

secuser
Newly Registered

Post by secuser » Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Thank you.

I am able to have Pharamcist as one professional refree, but its been only 2 years reigstered with current pharmacy. Hope that's fine?

Thank you.