ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of Living for Naturalisation (Non EU Family Member)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

RayNational
Newly Registered

Proof of Living for Naturalisation (Non EU Family Member)

Post by RayNational » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi everyone,
I have been a big fan and got loads of help from this board over the years. So thanks very much for your help and support.
Now it's my time to apply for british citizenship and for that I have got couple of questions.
I am a Non EU family member of EU national, I have been in UK for 9 years. I got settled status last year on 23rd January so now as I have held settled status for a year I am ready to apply for citizenship.
My question is how can I prove my living in the UK requirement? As I am non eu family member my passport only got stamps when I entered and exited other countries. I did not get entry or exit stamps at UK airports apart from one time when I think immigration officer didn't know what he was doing and stamped my passport on return.
I wasn't employed for the whole of last 5 years so can't get employers letter, only been employed from last 3 years.
Now I know I can't use bank statements but my question is can I use council tax letters as proof of living in the UK?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Proof of Living for Naturalisation (Non EU Family Member)

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:02 pm

Hello

Council Tax documents, Utility Bills (water. electricity, landline...), documents from DVLA, HMRC, NHS, Bank & mortgage... etc. are of high value when it comes to demonstrate that you lived in the UK for X period of time.

Avoid mobile phones bills, commercial invoices, invoices for online shopping, personal letters... etc.

Stamps in passport are not expected. As resident, you won't get them. But still. you have to fill the form about your absences from the UK.

When you apply, make sure you were in the UK exactly 5 years ago. It's important that 5 years ago, at the beginning of the qualifying period you were in the UK and not travelling abroad.

dnz34
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by dnz34 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 pm

Hi, you only need your passports for covering 5 years..
If you are an Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the past 5 years (3 years if you are married to, or the partner of, a British citizen).

If you do not have your passport, or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK."

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:04 pm

dnz34 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 pm
Hi, you only need your passports for covering 5 years..
If you are an Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the past 5 years (3 years if you are married to, or the partner of, a British citizen).

If you do not have your passport, or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK."
You are incorrect in your assumption. The op has come through the EEA/EU route and all the documents listed by the previous user are accepted for those that came on the EU route. Passport alone for 5 years is not sufficient.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RayNational
Newly Registered

Post by RayNational » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:42 am

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.
It says on official government website that bank statements and household bills can't be used as proof of living for naturalisation.
But I want to make sure if council tax letters will be accepted?
Also does anyone know the difference between Biometric Residence Permit and Biometric Residence Card?
In online application there is a section where they ask for biometric residence permit but I only have biometric residence card.