ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of living in the UK (no entry stamp)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

stormystorms
Newly Registered

Citizenship via spouse while living apart?

Post by stormystorms » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi all

I got my ILR as a spouse on July 2018. Planning to apply for citizenship in September 2018 . But will probably be living apart from British citizen spouse by then (long story - but thinking of separation...). Will I be successful in my application? Spouse is supportive of application and can provide documents.

I saw older posts like these, and the answer seems to be that it's okay. But those posts were so old, so thought I'd ask again just to check - in case any changes / new precedents have arisen.

Thanks

Casa

Re: Citizenship via spouse while living apart?

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:06 pm

For a British citizenship application you are considered to be married until the divorce decree absolute has been granted, even if you are living apart.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

stormystorms
Newly Registered

Post by stormystorms » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:22 pm

Thank you. So they will not hold it against us that we're living apart?

I'd be interested to hear from successful applicants who have applied relatively recently!

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:32 pm

stormystorms wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:22 pm
Thank you. So they will not hold it against us that we're living apart? Your separation is not relevant under the British Nationality Act (1981)

I'd be interested to hear from successful applicants who have applied relatively recently!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

stormystorms
Newly Registered

Post by stormystorms » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks - that's reassuring!

stormystorms
Newly Registered

Applying for citizenship but lost original passport

Post by stormystorms » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi all

I got my ILR via my spouse in July 2018. I am planning to apply for citizenship in September 2018. I lost my original passport with my UK entry stamp in March 2014, but got it replaced in April 2014. My non-UK passport now says, "Issued in London embassy."

Because I'm applying for citizenship as a spouse, I would need to prove I've been residing in the UK from 2015 to 2018. Do you think not having the original UK entry stamp will cause an issue? Should I also submit employment contracts from previous employers to support that I've been here since 2015?

Thanks!

stormystorms
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for citizenship but lost original passport

Post by stormystorms » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:36 pm

Could anyone advise on this question? Thanks!

stormystorms
Newly Registered

Proof of living in the UK (no entry stamp)

Post by stormystorms » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi all

I lost the passport with my entry stamp on it. I have been on a new passport since Apr 2014.

Applying for BC as spouse of UK citizen. So relevant periods will be Sept 2015 to Sept 2018.

Guidance on what constitutes as proof is a bit vague. So I'd like to ask:

As proof of living in the UK, could I use the following?
- job contracts from 2015 to 2017
- randomly selected letters from employer and payslips and P60 from 2015 to 2017
- evenly spaced council tax bills from 2016 to 2017
- letter from university confirming that i have been a full time Masters student from 2017 to 2018

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Proof of living in the UK (no entry stamp)

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:11 pm

I lost the passport with my entry stamp on it. I have been on a new passport since Apr 2014.

Applying for BC as spouse of UK citizen. So relevant periods will be Sept 2015 to Sept 2018.
Why would you need evidence of 5 years ago if you are applying on the basis of 3 years residence Spouse of BC??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

stormystorms
Newly Registered

Post by stormystorms » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks for the response!

I'm not trying to provide 5 years of proof. All the alternative evidence I'm providing is within the relavant 3-year period only.

I'm referring to what the online application says: "If you do not have your passport, or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof."

I guess I'm not sure what they mean by "stamped when you entered the UK."

My lost passport has the FIRST ENTRY STAMP when I moved to the UK. But my current passport has been issued here in the UK, and has lots of "entry stamps" (for when I have returned from holiday)...including ones that are BEFORE the relevant period 2015-2018. So will that be enough?