ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proving settled status for non EEA at border from Jan 2021

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shadowfax

Proving settled status for non EEA at border from Jan 2021

Post by shadowfax » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:31 pm

I'm a Non EEA/EU national but have been granted settled status under the EU Settlement scheme. Now, I have a residence card but that card will no longer be valid once 2021 comes. As a US Citizen, I am able to use the E gates, but what happens if I arrive at an airport where there are no egates or I arrive with my family?

Will the border guard take the time to verify my status using the online service? Since the letter I received from the Home Office, is ironically, not proof (strange) of my settled status, how will go about proving it to her/him?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Proving settled status for non EEA at border from Jan 2021

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:05 pm

It's "funny" from the Home Office to issue a letter that says this letter is worthless.

This posts gives you the answer:
eea-route-applications/travelling-withi ... 07227.html

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:29 pm

The tread you cite refers to visa-national. The author is US citizen (non-visa national)
We are in the same situation so I would like to understand what would happen in 2021..
It seems to me not having a card should not be a problem..
In our case (my mother holds US passport + settled status) we needed to keep her PR card (for european purposes). We applied for the change of document linked to digital settled status though - from BRC to passport - so even if UK starts regardIng BRC is invalid, her status will still be linked to a valid document.

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Yes, I have a EU/EEA RC which becomes worthless come 1 Jan 2021. So what will I use to cross the UK border with to prove my settled status if questioned?

Is the EUSS RC the way to go?

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-service

We applied for the change of document linked to digital settled status though - from BRC to passport - so even if UK starts regardIng BRC is invalid, her status will still be linked to a valid document.

Can you explain the above to me? How did you do this?

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:34 am

To update the document linked to your status (or other information):
https://www.gov.uk/update-uk-visas-immi ... nt-details
They will ask you to send them your new document. In our case they returned it in about a month, and then about three months later they sent an email stating that they finally updated the status to be linked to a new document.

We have a specific issue, where we cannot exchange PR card for EUSS card (we need valid PR - long story)
If you do not have such problem, it is probably better to just change to EUSS card.

I would hope board officers should be able to check settled status. From 2021, EU citizens will be in exactly the same situation as US citizens - they can board the plane to UK, but they need visa/status if coming to live in UK. However, EU citizens with settled status only have digital record, HO does not issue them any card.
It will be really funny if UK would decide to introduce some e-visa (as they plan to do in EU)..