ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about first British passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Simre
Newly Registered

Question about first British passport application

Post by Simre » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:38 am

Hello,

I am just preparing my supporting documents for my passport application. This will be my first application since receiving my British Naturalisation last week.

The gov website has instructed to include the Naturalisation document along with the current passport (which was used to enter the UK) and also any other passports belonging to other countries that haven't yet been cancelled.

Can someone please let me know why the passport office requires the passport belonging to my birth country? Are they going to cancel my current passport upon issuing my UK passport? I would like to continue as a Dual Citizen, and do not wish my current passport to be voided.

Have I misunderstood their intentions or do they just want to see my current passport for informative purposes only?

In total I have had 3 passports. My childhood passport, the passport I used when I first entered the UK, and my current passport. My previous two passports have been voided/cancelled. Do I still need to send all my passports?

Simre
Newly Registered

Naturalisation Certificate for Passport

Post by Simre » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:57 am

Does anyone know if when sending supporting passport application documents, do we need to send the original naturalisation certificate or can I send a scanned copy in order to keep the original copy safe at home.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation Certificate for Passport

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:09 am

Originals only - certificate and passport(s).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Question about first British passport application

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 am

Simre wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:38 am
Hello,

I am just preparing my supporting documents for my passport application. This will be my first application since receiving my British Naturalisation last week.

The gov website has instructed to include the Naturalisation document along with the current passport (which was used to enter the UK) and also any other passports belonging to other countries that haven't yet been cancelled.

Can someone please let me know why the passport office requires the passport belonging to my birth country? Are they going to cancel my current passport upon issuing my UK passport? I would like to continue as a Dual Citizen, and do not wish my current passport to be voided. HMPO do not cancel your foreign passport - it is not their property. They validate that the name on your passport is the same as on your certificate. The UK allows dual/multiple citizenships - there are no regulations around that.

Have I misunderstood their intentions or do they just want to see my current passport for informative purposes only?Essentially yes - they want to ensure that people don't use multiples identities (names) on their various travel documents.

In total I have had 3 passports. My childhood passport, the passport I used when I first entered the UK, and my current passport. My previous two passports have been voided/cancelled. Do I still need to send all my passports? voided/cancelled passports not required, but include the one used first to enter the UK.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Simre
Newly Registered

Re: Question about first British passport application

Post by Simre » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:44 am

Thank you so much for your answer, it helped a lot!