ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

question regarding the referees

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

boonworkpermit
Newly Registered

question regarding the referees

Post by boonworkpermit » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:05 am

I will soon submit an application for naturalisation and have one question regarding the referees. At the moment, I have one british friend who lives in the UK and another German laywer friend whom I have known when I lived in Germany many years ago.

I know that one referee does not need to be British. Does anyone know if it is OK to use someone who lives in another country?

1963British

Re: question regarding the referees

Post by 1963British » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:11 pm

boonworkpermit wrote:I will soon submit an application for naturalisation and have one question regarding the referees. At the moment, I have one british friend who lives in the UK and another German laywer friend whom I have known when I lived in Germany many years ago.

I know that one referee does not need to be British. Does anyone know if it is OK to use someone who lives in another country?
Assuming you know them more than three years.

One referee MUST hold a current British Passport and be over the age of 25 or a professional person. Does your British Friend meet the criteria?

The other referee must be a professional person. There is no other criteria. However, it would be wise to quote your German friends German Passport Number and on the page where you can list other information, there must be some German registration number that he has as a lawyer with a regulatory body. Basically, make it easy for the caseworker to be completely satisfied this is a real person and is a professional person.

There is no requirement that either referee be UK Resident however, if they are not resident then the burden is on the applicant to remove any doubt the caseworker may have.

boonworkpermit
Newly Registered

Post by boonworkpermit » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:44 pm

1963British, thanks for the great advice. I had an appointment with the NCS this morning and didn't have enough time to do what you suggested. The officer at the council said that it was fine. So, lets hope so.